truck bike rack - can't decide which one to buy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

truck bike rack - can't decide which one to buy

I am looking to purchase a bike rack for my truck. I have narrowed it down to the following two rack systems. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

http://www.therack.ca/

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/sportw...bike-rack.html

I have my likes and dislikes about both systems. The “Rack” looks like a very sturdy rack that will secure bikes very well. However according to the Mfr for my truck I will have to drill a couple of holes in the bed. It is also a very small company and I am worried about warranties and support. The other rack is by Thule so I no they will be there to back up my purchase in years to come. I also like how easy it is to install and remove when not in use. But it doesn’t look as secure as the “Rack”. The Thule rack only secures the front tire of the bike. What keeps the rest of the bike from moving? In comparison The “Rack” secures the bike by its front wheel and the down tube. The “Rack” can also be used to secure things other than bikes in the back of my truck, though I am not really sure I need that Cost really isn’t an issue as the “Rack” costs the same as two of the Thule.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thule InstaGator all the way. It is sooooo easy to use, I wish I had a longer bed on my truck so that I could have one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    The other rack is by Thule so I no they will be there to back up my purchase in years to come. I also like how easy it is to install and remove when not in use. But it doesn’t look as secure as the “Rack”. The Thule rack only secures the front tire of the bike. What keeps the rest of the bike from moving? In comparison The “Rack” secures the bike by its front wheel and the down tube.
    I use the Sportworks (now Thule) InstaGator in my truck. It works great - it's super quick to load and unload your bike. As you say, only the front wheel is held in place, but I've never had any problem with the rear of the bike moving around while driving.

If you worried about theft, that's another matter. The InstaGator (that I have) has no provisions at all for theft deterrence. You'd have to use a cable to lock your bike to some secure point on your truck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replys! Based on the positive feedback here and advice from a few co-workers I have gone ahead and ordered (2) of the Thule "InstaGator" bike racks.

Members who have read this thread: 0