Truck Bike Carriers - Questions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Truck Bike Carriers - Questions?

Hey Guys I am a student in the Industrial Design program at Auburn University and have just gotten into the sport of mountain biking. This semester I am taking and open design studio and have chosen to design a new type of bike rack for trucks. I have put together a few questions and topics to aid my design. If you don't mind taking a few minutes and discussing these topics I would greatly appreciate it.

Don't feel obligated to respond to all the topics or questions any information will help.

Which would you prefer a quick release mount or a permanent mount to the body of the truck. Why or why not

What are you thoughts on having to take the wheel off vs. leaving the wheel on.

Bed mount vs. Hitch mount style carriers.

When loading a bike in the back of a truck what problems might you face or do you face?

Are there any security concerns of leaving mounted bike and unattended?

If a piece has to remain on the bike frame during the ride is this a negative (will not interfere with rider during ride and will be light weight and small)?

Thanks for your time

3 "fiddy" for short
    Sierra Coast makes a very nice bed rack. It has the option of bolting to the bed or using a QR type mount. With that said:

I prefer a QR type mount that can be removed at will and doesnt require drilling the bed.

Leave the wheels on, please. It is very helpful for those of us that use 20mm front wheels that bolt on.

Bed mount.

Security: Yes. It would be nice to lock the bike and the RACK so it cant be removed.

NO parts left on the bike. NONE!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderc
    Which would you prefer a quick release mount or a permanent mount to the body of the truck. Why or why not

When loading a bike in the back of a truck what problems might you face or do you face?

If a piece has to remain on the bike frame during the ride is this a negative (will not interfere with rider during ride and will be light weight and small)?

Thanks for your time
    Permanent - for security.
    I never take the wheel off. Big pain.
    Bed vs. Hitch - each has its benefits. I have an empty bed 99.9% of the time. If not, I have an above the bed setup to allow for gear.
    Loading...1. rail height can prohibit reach if standing on teh ground
    Security - of course! I use a locking setup and a cable lock. Park in clear view of my window. Never let it out of sight.
    Leaving something on teh frame - i'd hesitate, but if innovative/convenient might consider.

Just ride
    For the truck carriers, I like taking the front wheel off. Drops the bike down lower to the top of the cab and I think makes it a bit more stable

As for something being attached to the bike, I would say no. Specially since the majority of times I have to transport my bike is to races, I don't want extra weight at all

Good luck with your program, and keep us posted on whatever ideas you stir up!
    You know what sucks worse than training? Losing.
    You know what sucks worse than losing? Nothing.

Ride on

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    War Dam'n Eagle!

Class of '93 - Architecture (used to be the same college).

Alright, let's see (I drive a truck, always have, always will):

Relatively easy "quick release" - in and out of the truck with little effort. Why? Because a truck is meant to be a versatile multi-function sort of vehicle.

Wheel on. Disc brakes and / or thru-axles are just easier to fool with if you can leave the wheel on. It's quicker and simpler. I'm in the market for a good solution right now.

Bed mount for sure. It's a truck, and that's what a truck bed is for. Don't expose the bikes to danger on a hitch (or roof) mount if you can avoid it.

Problems? None really. Some folks express concern over filling up the bed if they're headed out on a long trip or something. Check out the solutions at rec-rac. They've got a pretty neat system.

Security? Yes, there are always concerns. Depends a lot on where you live / travel, etc. You certainly need to consider at least a basic locking mechanism of some sort. A really good one would be a good selling point.

No, pieces left on the bike frame wouldn't cut it for most of the riders I know. I'll leave my kids' tag-along attachment on my "other bike", but I won't leave stuff like that on my "real" bike.

Keep us posted on your progress. Feel free to contact me via PM or email if I can help or serve on a jury for your project.

Weagle Weagle!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quick release, because I use the truck bed for stuff other than hauling bikes.

Leave it on. It's just a pain in general to remove the wheel, and it's made worse by hydraulic disks and/or 20mm axles.

Bed mount. What's the point of a truck specific hitch mounted bike rack?

None I can think of.

Uh, yeah? If it doesn't lock very securely I'm not interested.

Pretty much no way no how. There are perfectly good systems out there that don't require anything attached to the bike. Also, there are way to many radically different frame designs to make something like that really feasible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey Guys I am a student in the Industrial Design program at Auburn University and have just gotten into the sport of mountain biking. This semester I am taking and open design studio and have chosen to design a new type of bike rack for trucks. I have put together a few questions and topics to aid my design. If you don't mind taking a few minutes and discussing these topics I would greatly appreciate it.

Don't feel obligated to respond to all the topics or questions any information will help.

1 Which would you prefer a quick release mount or a permanent mount to the body of the truck. Why or why not

2 What are you thoughts on having to take the wheel off vs. leaving the wheel on.

3 Bed mount vs. Hitch mount style carriers.

4 When loading a bike in the back of a truck what problems might you face or do you face?

5 Are there any security concerns of leaving mounted bike and unattended?

6 If a piece has to remain on the bike frame during the ride is this a negative (will not interfere with rider during ride and will be light weight and small)?

Thanks for your time
    1 Nothing permanent on the truck. I don't want to start a place for rust, and wouldn't want to detract from resale value.

2 I only leave the wheel on. If I have to take the tire off, I might as well buy a car to carry my bikes in.

3 Bed mount. its there, why not use it?

4 I haul 2 bikes (wife and I). Without a kickstand, I have to take one bike out, balance it against the truck, and unload the other. I've already got a small dent and rub in the paint when that didn't work out as well as I intended.

5 Yes. I got a piece of plastic coated chain and some weatherproof masterlocks. If I leave the bikes unattended (which I try not to) I replace my nylon tow strap with the chain securing the frame to the tie down hooks in my truck. Sure, the chain and locks could be busted with the right tools, but what's the odds of a guy bringing bolt cutters to a Target parking lot in the middle of the day on Saturday?

6 I'd have to see it before I agreed to it, but its not out of the question. The damned thing BETTER not make any noise though!

mtbr member

Quick release for sure. My truck gets used for things other than carrying bikes.

I have a car rack that doesn't even make me take the wheel off. I avoid it.

I would prefer a bed mount. I could see someone with a packed up camper or camper shell wanting a hitch mount though.

Anything that must be attached to the bike from the opposite side of the truck can/could be a pain. I use tie-downs from the tie-down points in the truck to my seat rails (rear tire against the front of the bed -bike pointed backward in relation to the truck). I usually just toss the tie-down across the bed from the opposite side so it's not much of a problem. People with really high lifts and/or tall tires might have issues getting their bikes over the side of the bed.

Definitely! I use a combination of cable and u-locks when I have to but I still don't like leaving it for too long.

Not a huge deal, but wouldn't be my preference. It might sway me toward a system that didn't use something attached to the frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0