Truck bed racks??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Truck bed racks??

Just wondering what kind of racks you guys are using in the bed of your trucks. I am in the market and am not sure what I want. I want to be able to keep both wheels on the bike. Let me know what you use and how you like them also if its removable and how complicated it is to load/unload the bike. Thanks.

May 2008
    Not sure what how much you are willing to spend but I ended up going a pretty cheap route. It does require the front wheel to be removed but it only takes 10 seconds out of my time. Just picked up a fork mount and bolted it to a 2 x 4 I cut to length to pop in the bedliner inserts. I already had the board so my total cost was $12-13. Bike doesnt move at all and I can remove the board just as quick as I can put it in there. For a bit of security if I leave it unattended, I run a cable lock around the frame and lock it to the cleats in my bed. I am planning to put 2 more mounts on the same board to hold friend's bikes too.

BIG and Bald
    Here's a link to a homemade rack. I used it for a couple of years. All it takes is a few pvc fittings and a couple lengths of pipe. I didn't even glue mine and it held just fine.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm
    "Don't neever gave up..."

mtbr member
    I use a pair of tie-downs from the front corner tie-down points in the bed to the seat rails (bikes in with rear wheel toward the cab). Good tie-downs are ~$10/pair. It's completely removable, very quick, easy and very stable. Both wheels remain on the bike too. I usually angle the bike slightly so there's a little pressure between the front wheel and wheel well. It gives a little extra stability.

Edit to add: If you decide to use tie-downs, don't bother with the ratchet type. They're not as easy to use as a regular pull (or cam) type. You're not trying to tie a 4000lb jeep or multi-ton aircraft down.
    Last edited by Yardstick; 05-28-2008 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here's a link to a homemade rack. I used it for a couple of years. All it takes is a few pvc fittings and a couple lengths of pipe. I didn't even glue mine and it held just fine.

Is this system stable I have seen it on many websites before but never really knew if it was going to be very stable are the bikes pretty solid when they are in there?? thanks.[/B][/B]

May 2008
    I thought about making one even to just use as a stand. Im sure it will be fine as long as you secure the bike with some tie-downs or such in the bed. I have come across alot of people who have built one of those and it gets the job done. I say go for it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    These are super awesome but totally silly expensive in my opinion:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_Rac...t_127701.shtml

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I dont have one of these, I actually use the 2x4 method or I just throw it in the back, but I saw the rec-rac advertised in a bike magazine and it looks pretty sweet. I deffinately plan on getting one of these at some point www.recrac.com

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

Here is my hauler..

it gets my bikes to where I need them. I think it looks good too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    i use rec rac's......slick, easy. no need to take of wheels. fits any bike. you can run cable lock through bike and lock to tie downs. http://www.recrac.com/bikeRack.html

check them out. 5 stars!

BIG and Bald
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtroublemaker

Is this system stable I have seen it on many websites before but never really knew if it was going to be very stable are the bikes pretty solid when they are in there?? thanks.[/B][/B]

Yep, this rack is very stable. You can either use a bungee the way the site shows or just throw a strap across the top tube. Plus you can just take the rack out and use it as a storage rack if you go camping or even around the house.
    "Don't neever gave up..."

Out there
    Aug 2006
    carpet over the tailgate, drop the front wheel over, done.

very stable and it's AMAZING how many bikes you can fit in a truck like this. Works with very short beds like my Nissan Frontier, too.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0