Truck bed mounts- Mtbr.com
    MTBR Mafia

Truck bed mounts

i searrched and am going to do the do it yourself set up in the bed of my truck. i got the mounts and 2x6. now how do you make the wood stay in the bed without flying up. i also want to be able to take it out.
    thanks

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    i searrched and am going to do the do it yourself set up in the bed of my truck. i got the mounts and 2x6. now how do you make the wood stay in the bed without flying up. i also want to be able to take it out.
    thanks
    Dude, check these out. I got a riding buddy who just picked some up, they work real well

http://www.recrac.com/bikeRack.html
    Last edited by S-Works; 05-25-2005 at 03:18 PM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004
    I always have to find the cheapest way out of a situation like this (balabncing a bad MTB habit and a baby-needs-new-shoes dilema).

I use one of my kayak rack pads (the square'ish ones that have a knotch to slide over a roof-rack cross over peice) slipped over the rail off the bed. I put the bike in the bed, back wheel behind the truck's wheel-well and the bike's seat stay/seat tube resting against the kayak pad. The bike is held in place securely by a burly bungie cord, the ends/hooks are hooked to my bed-rails.

It takes about 5 to 10 seconds to throw the bike in and be secure. Me being me, I don't even take the kayak pads off with no bike in the truck, unless I'm going kayaking (duh!)

The only problem I see with you incorporating this would be where to hook the bungies (assuming you have no bed rails[?]). I could McGuiver something out though, maybe the bed rail pockets??
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2x6 slots in your truck bed

Most truck beds are formed so you can slide a 2x4 or 2x6 in there. The wood shouldn't fly out of those, especially with the bike locked in.

MTBR Mafia
    just finished it up. ended up wedging two pieces of wood between the bottom of the bed rail and the platform the bikes are on. feels real secure and the mounts were 50% off at Supergo. so the entire project costed something like 46.22 for 4 bikes. off to another ride now
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTBR Mafia
    the bikes.

the crappy motoecane is my friends ride

the i-drive pro (blue) is my cousins

the i-drive 3.0 (silver) is my old bike

The heckler (Red) mine and the best trail bike in the world

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    whats wrong with old ratcheting tie straps? as quick as the fork mounts and alot cheaper...plus no worries with where to put the wheels...

"Mr. Britannica"
    check your local Performance shop... same thing, Xport mounts for about $7 (online catalog has them for $15, reg price is $20)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf
    whats wrong with old ratcheting tie straps? as quick as the fork mounts and alot cheaper...plus no worries with where to put the wheels...
    Fork Mounts are $6.67 at Performance. Scrap wood is free. I have a 2-bike rack for around $13 bucks, and it is quicker than straps, I'm sorry....

Mine is pretty close to Cdub, with this exception.

I mounted my fork mounts to a peice of scrap 3/4" ply wood, and then built a frame around it with scrap 2x4's It probably weighs about 25#'s and I've used it for years without a problem. The benefit of this method is:
    1) I made it the exact shape so it will fit in the bed between my cab and the wheel-wells. There is almost no shifting around.
    B) Not sure if this is a benefit, but the mounting bolts are up off the bed of the truck. In otherwords, they never lay in a puddle.

FWIW, I used some fairly large washers (also laying around) against the plywood to keep the hole from enlarging and the bolts from pulling through.

95% of the time, I just leave the rack at home, if it is just my bike it is faster to lay it in the bed and lock it, AND it is less visible. But this setup is great for hauling two bikes, and I could easily haul 3 with it.

And even a 2x4 is not going to fly out. I'd bet my life savings on it.

Matt
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    The rear of the bikes always seemed to lift with tie down straps, bikes are too light.
    I use a home built rack similar to club's and bmateo's without locking it to the truck bed. And as bmateo states, it stays put, never lifts or flys out at any speed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I bolted my fork mount directly to the bed.

But now you guys got me thinking of alternate ways of mounting them so they are removable.

desert dweller

I Second the Recrac

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Dude, check these out. I got a riding buddy who just picked some up, they work real well

http://www.recrac.com/bikeRack.html

I've been using the Rec Rac mounts for almost three years. It works great for one bike -- the spanners for a second bike are pretty lame though. It's very good because it keeps the bikes right on the edge of the bed -- leaving 3/4 of the bed open for other gear. If you carry more than one bike often you may want to buy two sets of mounts. I have a small pickup so I seldom carry anyone's gear but my own -- my riding friends have big trucks and they drive when we all get together.

mc

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Never had a problem with the 2x6 bouncing loose. I bungee the rear of the bikes to prevent them from dancing sideways. That may be enough to hold the board in place.

Of course, I often have a lot of other essential items (like the ice chest, folding lounge chairs, and folding shade canopy) in the bed with the bikes. A little apres' ride relaxation is mandatory.

mtbr member
    do you guys have any ideas on a locking system so i can leave the bikes in the truck if i need to go to s store or if i take them to work with me. i just need someway to be able to lock the bikes up while in the bed

surly inbred
    For a whopping total of $17 I have two options:

$5 rubber bed mat from yard sale... for local rides I just lay the bike in the bed with a bungee to keep it from sliding.

$12 cinch straps... for longer drives I go moto-style with tie down straps and a clincher on the rear wheel like so .
    Last edited by TroutBum; 05-26-2005 at 07:14 PM.

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    do you guys have any ideas on a locking system so i can leave the bikes in the truck if i need to go to s store or if i take them to work with me. i just need someway to be able to lock the bikes up while in the bed
    do what i did except buy locking holders. then cut a hole in the wood and run a chain through it and one of your mounting spots in the bed. keep it simple.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5 bikes in a Nissan

I towed my nissan with 3 MTBs and 2 road bikes behind the mototr home for 90000 miles with no problem. Stagger the mounts straight then at an angle to fit your bike requirments. Use large washers and locktite. If you cut the base board to fit your truck it wont move much cheap and secure, I run a cable lock and U lock to keep everything secure.

mtbr member
    cdub
    i already bought my mounts

any other ideas

thanks

MTBR Mafia
    just make sure whatever you mount the mounts to that it is secured to your bed via chain or whatever. i guess nothing is perfectly safe cause they could just unbolt the mounts from the mounting platform. i would personally never leave my bikes at my work, if i worked, even if they were bolted up with everything you could find. just dont like the idea of leaving my baby out in a parking lot for hours on end. but your best, and most economical, bet would be just do what i did with your mounts and then find a way to keep the 2x6 or whatever you use in the bed.
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member

Beddy Joe

I bought a Beddy Joe from Yakima, a cool throw in rack that locks to the truck by straps that pinch closed in the tailgate. Nothing permanent and it will hold three bikes. If my rides are to be left in truck bed as I run into the store or restaurant I lock them to the truck with a heavy cable and padlock by running the cable through the frame both wheels and then over the tailgate to the rear bumper. My tailgate also locks closed so they are as secure as can be in that situation. I still get that nervous twinge in my stomach when they are alone and exposed. Separation anxiety? Co-dependant? Call me what you will, I have seen too many friends loose rides not to be worried.
    "Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you." W. W.

mtbr member
    whre i live and work i would have no problem leaving my bike out in my truck at all. very small town and i can check my bick anytime i want so i'm not to worried about that. i have a couple ideas i'm gonna try out. i will let you guys know how i make out