Truck bed bike rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Truck bed bike rack

Hi all:
    this is my first post on this site, but I am not new to forums. I frequent CBRWorld.net, customtacos.com, tacomaterratory.com.

I recently bought a pick up and need a rack for haulingbikes in the bed. I am looking at 3 and here is my impression of them from what I can find on the reviews;
    Thule Bed Rider - sounds like it can fly off
    Saris Kool Rack - sounds like the winner
    Delta stableloader - I dont want somehting that rusts.
    or a bedhead/low rider bolded to a 2x4 - not secure neough for me.

Anyone have any input on these or otheres??

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I have a bedhead

Quote Originally Posted by hdave
    Hi all:
    this is my first post on this site, but I am not new to forums. I frequent CBRWorld.net, customtacos.com, tacomaterratory.com.

I recently bought a pick up and need a rack for haulingbikes in the bed. I am looking at 3 and here is my impression of them from what I can find on the reviews;
    Thule Bed Rider - sounds like it can fly off
    Saris Kool Rack - sounds like the winner
    Delta stableloader - I dont want somehting that rusts.
    or a bedhead/low rider bolded to a 2x4 - not secure neough for me.

Anyone have any input on these or otheres??
    I have a Delta version of the bedhead bolted to my truck box. I'm not sure what putting it on a 2x4 would do. Don't buy the Yakima rack that bolts on to your bedrails - it sucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I made one of these...

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

Works great, pretty cheap, and you can use the bed hooks to bungy it down. The longest trip I did was about 500 miles across MT and ID. Not a single problem.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I dig trails!
    Hi,

I use a universal bike mount on a 2x6 (painted black) with room for 2 bikes. Not bad for $20. I bungie the frames to the truck bed hooks and all is good. Last year I drove Sacramento/Tahoe/Downieville (read curvy roads) no problems. Been using it for a couple years.

Side benefit is when I am not using it I leave it in the bed of the truck and as it has almost no value to others, I don't worry about it being stolen.

You also get to build to your spec. More bikes are possible.

I'm referring to one of these dodads:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...00/00_1616.jpg

Mr.P

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I starting to lean towards mounting a couple of unversal mounts to the front of the bed. The 2x6 is a good option, but I often stop to eat on my way home and a locking mount would be real simple and clean.

What do you think about drilling the bed to mount a couple of these? yea or ne?

mtbr member
    I run 4 of the Performance bike mounts on a 2x6 and have had no problem. I mounted them at 45 degrees because the bed of my truck is a bit narrow and that allows room for all four. I just keep the thing loose in the bed. Even with just one bike on it it stays put.

I used to run with just 2 mounted to a 2x6, which I bolted directly to the floor of the bed. It was nice and secure, but didn't last long. Since it was out there rain or shine it broke apart after about a year and a half. Admittedly I did nothing to prevent the problem so I don't know if coating the wood with something would make it last longer. I'm sure it would as long as it doesn't get worn off.

As it is I just put the unit in the cab while I'm riding and in the garage between rides. That also prevents anybody from walking off with the scewers. That happened with the old set-up.

desert dweller

Truck Rack

I use thise set up.

http://www.recrac.com

It works really nice. I don't have to pull the front wheel and it keeps my bike on the edge of the bed leaving room for all kinds of stuff (or more bikes) in the rest of the bed. The extensions for extra bikes are rather cheesy though. I would prefer to buy another set for the other side of the bed.

mc

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Sportworks Insta-Gator

https://sportworks.com/stinst.asp
    Best I have seen.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

[paste title here]
    if you dont want to spend too much you can use moto-tie downs. Im using them on my truck and it works fine, just hook on and tighten. Plus you can use the tie-downs for anything else you would carry in the bed of your truck.

Setting up my bikes on my way to a ride:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    It's not very pretty but it get's the job done. I have to mount the bikes sideways because I did not want to mount skewers on my truck box.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    before when my dad had a truck we got an old 2X6 or 8 and mounted the quick release fork mounts to it, and it worked perfectly for however many years he had the bike, and cost under $30, in fact its still in the basement waiting for the next truck