trouble with a hitch rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

trouble with a hitch rack

I own a car that has a 1.25 receiver. The rack and 2 bikes are causing the rack to torque when hitting a bump. The torque pulls the bolts off the mounting. It seems to be a problem with the bumper not holding steady and bending under the pressure causing the flex. I saw a similar vehicle with a wheelchair rack and they had two cables supporting it. The wheelchair rack went vertical like a non- platform rack so it was close to the trunk making it easy to set up the cables.

I have a thule platform rack so I don't hurt my back putting bikes on the suspending racks. This means the rack is far from the trunk and at a different angle.

Any solutions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What bolts are getting pulled off? What vehicle is this on?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're flexing the hitch and frame connections. Stronger hitch rack, type 2 if possible, will help. And a lockdown device between the tray and hitch to help keep it from swaying. After that, a ratchet strap is the only thing I can think of to actually keep a rack from swaying. A bungee cord has too much give when you go over bumps.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I've had a similar problem with my Thule T2 1.25 rack. The bolt tying the rack to the hitch would loosen over a long ride. I've since learned to tighten that bolt alot tighter and now I don't have that issue any longer. The rack tightened can handle 2 30lb mountain bikes now.

I googled for torque specs and didn't find it but found found this. Looks like the tools shipped with the rack aren't the right ones to use to install the rack?

Heads up regarding the Thule T2 hitch mounted bike rack - The Chainlink

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Sorry i have not responded. Life getting in the way again.

I cannot find ratchet straps that have a hook that wont damage the trunk of the car. The bolts that are coming loose are the rearward most bolts connecting the car and the rack. I cannot get a stronger hitch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzzoid View Post
    The bolts that are coming loose are the rearward most bolts connecting the car and the rack. I cannot get a stronger hitch.
    Still not sure what's going on. The car and the rack don't attach to each other. The hitch is bolted to the car, and the rack slides into the hitch mount. If the rearward bolts that are holding the hitch to the car are coming loose, there are ways, but best to take it to a u-haul. If it's the hitch to rack connection, they make various anti-sway adapters that basically clamp onto the area between the hitch adapter slot and the rack to hold it still.

For loose bolt connection between the actual hitch and the car frame, you can either re-drill and tap the connection to the next larger diameter fine thread bolt, or use backer nuts instead of the stock bolt holes. That is if you can get a backer nut into the frame. If you can get a backer in there, it's probably the best and most secure method. Especially if it uses a lock washer or lock nut. Once again, best take this sort of issue to a u-haul where they install hitches or to the dealership.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"