Tray rack vs vertical rack (for 1-1/4" hitch)- Mtbr.com
    Less yap more braaap

Tray rack vs vertical rack (for 1-1/4" hitch)

So I'm looking for a bike rack for my car and I've narrowed it down to;

- North Shore Racks NSR 2-bike
    - Thule Doubletrack 990
    - One Up USA hitch rack (with a second addon)

Opinions?

I also have one of those Mucky Nutz mud guards on my bike, and because my bike is also carbon I'm a bit hesitant to put so much load on the head tube (unless they're designed to withstand that kind of loading but as I understand it carbon strength is very "directional/dimensional" and it will fail if you put shear stress on it, whereas it will take Normal/Perpendicular loading/stress no problem).

With the NSR rack I like the idea it's made locally in Vancouver Canada (in fact I think their shop is like a half an hour drive from my house) but the two things that I'm hesitant about are carrying a carbon bike by the headtube and the mudguard thing (it says specifically not compatible with fender mounted mudguards but some people have said because the plastic fender guards are flush against the fork crown it will work and be compatible with the NSR rack).

As for the other two, the Thule and OneUp (assuming the NSR doesn't work) which is the better of the two.

I'm not opposed to other brands/models (Saris, Swagman, etc.) so if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. However note that I am in Canada and pricing/distributorship is weird, for example the Yakima Holdup which is $450 USD is $710 CAD, $130 more than if you did a straight up USD to CAD conversion (or bought in the USA and paid duties on it).

I will be carrying anything from a Road/CX bike to a 29er HT trail bike to a 650b FS Enduro/DH bike, not planning on carrying a DJ, 4X, or Trials bike in the near future though.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

Tray rack vs vertical rack (for 1-1/4" hitch)

Kuat NV.

I'm running the 2" version and it's solid!
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

SISSIF
    The Oneup is great for 2-3 bikes on smooth roads. NS is better for more bikes and rough road shuttles as it keeps all the bikes close to the hitch. Fender should be on the arch of the lowers, NS rack hooks on the crown - no factor. I doubt head tube strength would be an issue.
    I have the Oneup and like it a lot. Very impressed with a friend's NS as well.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

Less yap more braaap
    Right I forgot the name of that part. Yes the mudguard is mounted flush against the arch not the crown.

It's not like I'm shuttling up trails or have plans to or anything so it looks like the OneUp is the right choice since I'll be mainly transporting on smooth paved roads and I'm wanting to possibly transport a road/CX bike. That or just go ahead and get a small truck like a 1st gen Taco or B-Series/Ranger and a tailgate pad nut then again that's another huge purchase.

One question though, because the bike is hanging off the crown of the fork and it puts weight on the headtube is that a problem with carbon bikes? I tried to contact NSR but they have an auto response on their email saying they're swamped with orders/emails and probably Canada day long weekend adding to that too.

Your Best Friend
    If you're planning on carrying a road bike, that takes the NSR out of the running completely. They are not compatible. The Thule is junk compared to the 1up. Seems like I just solved your dilemma .
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    If you're planning on carrying a road bike, that takes the NSR out of the running completely. They are not compatible. The Thule is junk compared to the 1up. Seems like I just solved your dilemma .
    To this I would add, don't buy any rack that holds your bike by the frame. So that takes the Thule out of the mix.

J.