Transfer 2 vs Sitkka 2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Transfer 2 vs Sitkka 2?

Searching for a 2-inch hitch rack and I've narrowed it down to the Swagman Sitkka 2 and the Kuat Transfer 2, both in my budget (unless i can get the Swagman Semi 2.0 at the same price). I like the looks of the Transfer best, but of course build quality and real-world use reviews are king. Any thoughts between these two which fall under $300?

i want wheel mount, and able to carry 700c road bikes as well as mtb with 27.5+ wheels up to 2.8. Thanks.

eric
    fresno, ca.

aka bOb
    I used the Transfer 2 for a couple of seasons other than being kinda a piece of crap it got the job done. I had it on a pretty small car and no matter what I did or what Kuat came up with the front tires of the bikes would start wobbling all over the place at highway speeds. They were thinking the cause was the front tires would stick out in the wind to far? Never lost one but pretty unnerving especially in trafic. Also they are made to haul fat bikes but it's kinda a real pain to get them in the rack. I'm not saying the rack is junk and for the price it isn't terrible. I finally had to sell it when it wouldn't fit my Mastodon fat fork which didn't hurt my feeling. Not a rack snob just my real life experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Not a rack snob just my real life experience.
    lol

good to know. what kind of small car were you using it on? I've got a Nissan Xterra. i imagine that would offer a bit more wind coverage, but still sounds unnerving. thanks!

-eric

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ericzamora View Post
    lol

good to know. what kind of small car were you using it on? I've got a Nissan Xterra. i imagine that would offer a bit more wind coverage, but still sounds unnerving. thanks!

-eric
    Mazda 3, I'm hoping the new Quik Rack Mach 2 is available for riding season but not holding my breath. A little more pricey but not bad either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Mazda 3
    Nice! zoom-zoom

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have the Sitkka and have been happy with it. The selling point for me was the ability to host 5 inch tires without any annoyingly expensive upgrade. Itís a solid value for the money. I canít vouch for the Kuat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I too am in the market for a hitch rack. There are so many and so much mixed info for all of them. The transfer 2 and sitkka 2 are the most affordable options that I have found. I even have a spreadsheet for "Cost Per Bike" that the various racks can hold. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, hopefully more folks chime in on these 2.

From what I see:
    Swagman - Fat Bike Ready, Comes with Receiver lock, Straps move up and down cradles
    Kuat - Tilt lever easier to operate

For me I'm currently leaning Swagman of these 2 but definitely still open to opinions of others

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellSoup19 View Post
    ... I even have a spreadsheet for "Cost Per Bike"
    good idea. don't forget, Kuat looks better in the black version. lol

i do like the foot pedal design of the Kuat.

eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    MTBR won't let me attach an Excel spreadsheet to this post. So here's a screen shot:

Transfer 2 vs Sitkka 2?-rack.jpg

I actually just saw REI is offering a $100 gift card when you sign up (and are accepted) for a REI credit card. Figure why not! So I may just tough it out by taking the front wheel off every time and sticking the bike in the back of the Jeep for now. Then once I get the $100 gift card I'll add it to my budget and maybe grab a Rockymounts Monorail 2 for ~$250!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Monorail has been discounted online lately. Backcountry had it at $259. Keep your eyes open and it might go on sale elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ericzamora View Post
    lol

-eric
    I have Transfer 2 on my Xterra and it's perfect. Stable and easy to operate. Fits my 29 and 27.5 2.6 tires just fine. The lever moves the rack down and it clears the door with bikes on it. Never used the other rack.

Also, if you look around, you can get it for 20% or more discount.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.