Trailer Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trailer Help

mtbr member
    May 2010

Trailer Help

We are a family of 5 who enjoy 8-10 bike trips / camping trips a year where we bring the bikes. Car is an SUV.

In the past, when kids were younger, I just mashed the bikes together on a 5-bike rack attached to the hitch. It's just not possible any more.

So we're looking to find a trailer. [I am not a trailer person]. Both space and price are issues here, and without bringing all 5 bikes to a store, I was hoping I could tap into the expertise of the forum.

If I want to fit 5 bikes with a bit of extra room for some camping stuff, how small can I go comfortably. 4 x 6? 4 x 8? 5 x 8?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike.

PS: Am Canadian. Originally was looking at https://www.lowes.ca/trailers/stirli..._g2582384.html but figured it might be a bit of overkill

Vincit qui patitur
    With my Thule Xsporter and Thule Big Mouths I can fit 4 and use the bed for gear. Use a hitch rack for more bikes if needed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

i like rocks
    Though personally I have all large trailers for hauling equipment/cars/jeeps etc, we recently went on a small trailer shopping expedition to get something for my wife's mom. After spending a couple of weeks checking out a variety of options we settled on this as the best bang for the buck small trailer around.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005

not sure if you have tractor supply up in Canada, but I bet you'll at least have something similar, and they just might sell almost the exact same thing.

I would go with a wood deck trailer, that way you might be able to easily bolt down fork mounts or something to securely hold onto bikes, or just build some wood framing to hold the tires and go with some ratchet straps to pin em down.

With a 6x8 i'm sure you'll have some extra room for some bins, or a cooler or firewood or whatnot.

might be useful for yardwork or whatever when bike bike tripping as well.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nice setup. Unfortunately with suv/minivan won't work as well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks Euroford. You indirectly answered my question as 6x8 is larger than any of the options I was looking for. Guess it'll have to be the 5x8 option then. I was hoping a 4x8 or even 4x6 would work, but was pretty sure 5 bikes wouldn't fit in 4ft.

Great advice about the wood deck. The ones I was looking at were not wood deck. They seem to mostly have solid or 'mesh' around here. I'm sure I can get creative in getting a wood wheel rack secured.

Mike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How would a low trailer with a rack on top work for you?

http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-rac...l#post13472296
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That's a possibility as well. Thanks everyone!!

mtbr member
    How "mechanically inclined" are you? I've seen these lightweight trailers for kayaks that have Thule load bars on them. My thought is that you could find a decent used small boat trailer for relatively cheap. Fabricate some brackets to mount some wide Thule load bars then you can add anything you like. 5 bike trays and maybe a cargo basket or an enclosed ski topper. The trays and cargo topper could always be used on other vehicles too if needed.

Something like this. But a used trailer should be in the sub $500 range. Used load bars should be well under $100. Other than the racks and topper, you should be able to get something together for well under $750 and a few hours of your time.

Car Racks and Truck Racks | Bike Racks | Kayak Carriers | Kayak Trailers | Malone Auto Racks

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmikerd View Post
    Thanks Euroford. You indirectly answered my question as 6x8 is larger than any of the options I was looking for. Guess it'll have to be the 5x8 option then. I was hoping a 4x8 or even 4x6 would work, but was pretty sure 5 bikes wouldn't fit in 4ft.

Great advice about the wood deck. The ones I was looking at were not wood deck. They seem to mostly have solid or 'mesh' around here. I'm sure I can get creative in getting a wood wheel rack secured.

Mike.
    Assuming you have room to store it, I would still go with the 6x8. its the best bang for the buck and the slightly wider trailer won't be any harder to tow or move around by hand. you'll consume the space quicker than you think.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    Assuming you have room to store it, I would still go with the 6x8. its the best bang for the buck and the slightly wider trailer won't be any harder to tow or move around by hand. you'll consume the space quicker than you think.
    As utility trailers go, euroford is correct and the 6x8 is a pretty common size. I would add that itís actually easier to maneuver a 6x8 vs a 4x8 as itís going to be a similar width or slightly wider than your car. If the trailer is too narrow, itís hard to see in your mirrors which adds another level of difficulty when backing up. And since you have 3 kids, your vehicle is probably full making the rear view mirror useless.