toyota tacoma double cab or 4runner????- Mtbr.com
    specialized = AWSUM
    Jul 2006

toyota tacoma double cab or 4runner????

im trying to make a decision on a new car.... i want to be able to get my bikes in without an issue.... (i was reading a thread about getting bikes into a 4runner easily and wasnt very impressed with wat i saw... i also want security too... its a hard choice.... if i get the 4 runner... i have good security... but barely any room... if i get the truck... i dont have very good security unless i get a QR with locks.... and i will have plenty of space for the bikes.... idk.... anyone out there with a 06 tacoma (double cab) or a 06 4 runner????

thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I can identify with your delima.
    I placed a premium on accesiblity, overall storage and pure space and chose the crew cab pickup over an SUV.
    As for security, I rarely leave the bikes out of my sight. QR locks would NOT be enough security for me, I always also use a cable lock.

Unless you are a diehard brand loyal consumer, I would suggest shopping around - it is fun just for the sake of test driving a bunch of new cars and trucks. And it changed my mind, but to each his own!!!

Go drive'em

mtbr member
    Are you going to put muddy bikes inside a new vehicle? Seriously, give this a second thought - you're likely to get scuffs/stains on headliners, plastic mouldings and carpet over time. It just happens, meanwhile you watch your new toyota's resale take a hit.

Think your bikes are safe cause they're inside the vehicle? All you're guarding against is the "opportunist" thief. The detemined thief will break into vehicle then steal the bikes. Now you're out of bike and have vehicle damage.

Rider who wants to lock their bikes inside and not be near the vehicle (ie parkade) are really taking a risk and I wouldn't say you'll get piece of mind. Instead you'll just get a dirty smelly interior IMO.

If you plan to keep an eye on the bikes+ truck/SUV anyways, you might as well have a rack or hang em off tailgate. That way, you keep the interior in better shape and save yourself having to take wheels off all the time. Less chance of squeezing a hydrobrake lever w/o wheel too.

mucho aggro
    what ever you do, buy a 'yota.....you won't regret it!

mtbr member
    I've got an '06 Tacoma double cab and love it. I agree with the poster above - no way do you want to stick a dirty bike into a new SUV.

BTW, if you go with the Tacoma, do not buy the Toyota bike mounts designed for the track system in the bed. Quality stinks. I bought some and only used them for a few months before giving up on them. Instead, go with Rocky Mounts Clutch SD. They're still designed specifically for the Tacoma track system, but the quality is way better. I think they might even be cheaper too.

http://www.rockymounts.com/clutch.html

They also come with a lockable quick release.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have an 06 4Runner and really enjoy it, there is enough room in the back for bikes. I have seen some guys cut a strip of plywood that is the width of the rear cargo area and mount a couple of QR truck bed mounts to them. Then then just remove the front wheel and roll the bike in rear tire first and clip the fork to the QR mount. Usually they then put a bungie cord over the bike to to ensure the whole deal does not slide around on the carpet.

Several companies make rear cargo covers that provide various amounts of coverage. Canvasback of Idaho makes a two piece waterproof canvas deal that covers from the tops of the rears seats all the way to the tailgate. Another company Reargear.net, offers a canvas cargo liner that covers pretty much the entire cargo area from the windows down, about the most coverage you can get. So you can prevent most bike induced damage or dirt.

It is not the most ideal situation for convience but it is very doable. Personally, I just ordered a Thule T2 for the hitch. Some locks on the hitch mount and bikes for added security should cover me. I have seen alot of people with pickups buying the racks that mount in the corner posts and hold the bikes like a roof mount to preserve bed space that would otherwise be taken up by putting the bikes in the bed.

There are tons of options out there, I think either vehicle will be able to accomodate your biking habit. Think about your other uses for the vehicle as well, you may find an answer there.

-Eric

specialized = AWSUM
    Jul 2006
    thats a good point... i never really thought about putting muddy bikes into a new suv... ive come to a conclusion... im goin to get the tacoma dbl cab... and just watch my bikes at all times.. ive got a 93 yota pickup and love it... first car ive had and its clear to me that toyota is better than any other car out there... well... almost... im just goin to go out and test drive the tacoma and the new tundra... just to see how they feel...

thanks for your info everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have an '06 Tacoma Double Cab and love it. I've had a 4Runner, previous style Tacoma, and a Tundra and this is the best of the bunch (haven't had the new 4Runner). I used some Yakima fork mount heads and made up my own bolts for the track system -- a better design would be a thin strip of aluminum that would accept a larger bolt for the track and a smaller bolt for the mount head, but it works until I can revise the design. About $35 total for two mounts. My bikes fit with plenty of room in the short bed, and there is room for 4 bikes across while still allowing you to get in the bed and attach/detach the ones in the middle without being a contortionist. You could probably get 5 in there easily if you need to.

Not biking related, but you can fit a medium sized adult BETWEEN two car seats in the back.

~ Fred

mtbr member
    ditto as the bear, got my 06 4runner two months ago and have loved everything about it. can fit bikes and it rides great. I had a chevy trailblazer for the last three years and was amazed how much better gas mileage the 4runner got. The back glass roll down is also a handy little feature, but i think the toyota truck have that as well. You can't go wrong either way, but I like the 4runner.

It's about showing up.

Toyota Double Cab

6 years. Block mounts on inside back of bed. Huge cable and lock. NEVER let it out of my sight, though, with bikes in the back. I haul as many as 5 which would not work in a Runner: I never could get my head around the idea of muddy bikes in an SUV; you just have to be too carefull. I don't know about you but after a ride I can be knackered and being careful can fall to the wayside. Plus I need topsoil, rock, lumber, and stuff when I work around the house.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Only the Tundra DoubleCab has a power rear window that goes down like the 4Runner. On a Tacoma it is the normal sliding rear window. BTW, if it matters, I have averaged 20 mpg over my first 4800 miles on my Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 with TRD Offroad package. Hard to beat that on a 4x4 in hilly NE. And it is quick too.

~ Fred

mtbr member
    Buy a used Tacoma like this:

'06 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

specialized = AWSUM
    Jul 2006
    well i made up my decision and im goin to the toyota dealer tomorrow and closing a deal with one of the guys for the 06 double cab tacoma... its got the trd off road package and and towing package.... im excited about it! i test drove the tundra dbl cab and loved it but it is just too much for the gas prices these days so i was back to my original plan to get the tacoma...

THANKS EVERYONE!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bravo on the toyota choice. Just a suggestion for security (adds more cost but...). I have an 01 tacoma and put a shell on with two racks and a Yakima pod. If I'm ever not comfortable locking my steed on my racks I just throw it in the shell and lock that up. Shell comes off fairly easy if you need to transport any materials as well. Yota is the only way to go bro

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

Get a camper shell.

And Voila, your bikes are out of sight and locked up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Personally I've never understood the purpose of mid-sized SUV's.

Get the taco.

mucho aggro
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerSHO
    Personally I've never understood the purpose of mid-sized SUV's.

Get the taco.
    Personally, I get peeved when people call my truck an SUV!

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/theamorphousband/index.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amorphous

Well your going to have to beat be up then cause that's not a truck.
    It's missing the bed.

We shoudln't numb the correct terminology just because of the label an "suv" has.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amorphous

You may be upset to know that the company that makes it classifies it as an SUV. If it makes you feel any better I want one. At least its not a mini van.

Cars Are Evil
    State of Vermont classifies 4Runners as Station Wagons.

mucho aggro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    State of Vermont classifies 4Runners as Station Wagons.
    my title says "truck" - so, i'm sticking to it!

mtbr member
    I have a 4Runner and I have friends with Taco Full Cab.
    '03+ T4Rs have 40/60 split folding seats. I made a tray out of plywood the width of the 40 side of the folding seat. And mounted three QR for the forks, two facing backwards and one facing forward. I can put 3 bikes on that side of the cargo area with a little finegaling, on the other (60%) side it would be easier. But with this configuration I still have function 60% side of the rear seat usable. Three people and three bikes fit in comfortably. With one bike it's a breeze. I'll have to get pictures and post later.
    But I do have to take the front wheel and the saddle/seatpost out.
    On the other hand, a fried with taco just puts his bikes in the bed. that's quicker, but no security, has to remember that the bikes protrude above the cab, and are exposed to the elements.

Speaking of elements, have you thought of Honda Element? Yes they are butt ugly, but... Super practical. I saw a 29er in XL size being just rolled in with the front wheel on and the seat at full riding height for a 6'3" person, and fits inside!!! And they also come in AWD version and gas mileage is way better than either T4R or Taco.

dz

Pro Crastinator
    when i got stuff i my Taco, i run a krypto cable thru truck frame and thru the bike frames. but i never leave my stuff outside overnight for any reason......

mtbr member

Length of bed pain in arse

I have an 03 Double Cab Taco that I love but with my new "lefty" bike I want to keep the wheel on for transport. I needed the bed extender to accomodate the length of the bike...tailgate closed is too short to stand up bike. I am still tweakin' the homemade rack since the insta-gator etc. attach via closing them in the tailgate.

Members who have read this thread: 2