toyota prius- Mtbr.com

Thread: toyota prius

mtbr member
    May 2006

toyota prius

Looking to put a rack on my new prius...Thule has something called the EuroClick but i can't find a US dealer. Anyone know where to buy in the US or anything about the rack? Thanks.

Two Tired
    A friend put a 2 inch receiver hitch on his Prius and has his choice of racks.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

I'm Slow
    I have a 2010 Prius also and I am in search of a bike mount myself. I get about 43 MPG in the real world and I put about 30,000 miles on my cars a year (average the last 10 years, I drive alot) so with the increased price over my old Honda Element I'm saving $100 a month. So it was a smart choice for me. I could care less about the green part. If they offered a model that had leather made from clubbed baby seals I would probably but they just to offset the "green ego".

Any ways I'm looking for a hitch setup. Here is the most recommend prius hitch, its 4 bolts and take about 30min to install. then choose the mount of your choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufactu...d=DG06AMXZI2NL

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

DynoDon
    There goes your fuel mileage, with the roof rack,,LOL

code: mtbr2011
    the thule euroclick was to be introduced in the us as the raceway platform. a platform style trunk rack.
    before it was released, it was pulled because of a design flaw, so it never made it to market this year. thule is likely re-introducing it this week at interbike. it's a great concept of having a platform style trunk mount.
    keep in mind, though, that the prius has a plastic leading edge at the top and if it will work on that vehicle is yet to be determined.
    a hitch mount is a good option for the prius, although a bit more costly. there are plenty of good roof mount options as well.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    There goes your fuel mileage, with the roof rack,,LOL
    Yup.

I don't have that problem. Putting bikes in the bed of my wife's pickup doesn't affect the fuel mileage.

I'm Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by amaze
    I was just asking about the rack...not interested in your views..
    I have been looking into platform racks, if you are looking at the hanging rack I have no clue.

Alot of the Prius people love the Thule T2 (917) but its a platform and is high priced. its a pretty light weight patform.

I am going for the Thule Doubletrack (990) as I want a platform and it is cheaper and it folds out of the way. but it weighs a bit more.

The Swagman XTC is a cheap platform, works great, but it doesn't fold out of the way.

mtbr member
    I'm a firm believer in putting your bikes inside your car with moving blankets to protect your bikes from theft, crashing into garages, getting rear ended, bugs and effecting your fuel economy with aerodynamic drag and a boat anchor of weight. Especially with the Prius since you have a lot of space back and your still getting 50 MPG.

Yet, you may want to carry more people and cargo, forcing you to a rack. You want a hitch style rack so you fuel economy is not effected. Leaving a rack on your roof will cost you hundreds of dollars of fuel a year and most people dont even know this. I have messed with cheap hanging racks and have concluded that these are garbage, so I recommend a rack like the Thule T2 which is supper fast to mount and dismount because you dont have to remove a wheel. I'm very smug when I beat training partners to the mount and dismount because they have to lift there bike over there head and fiddle with quick releases.

The T2 is not cheap at $420. Maybe there is a other brand that with save you money.

mtbr member
    More Prius rack content here. Ask Vuduvgn (a endurance racer bad ass) about his Prius hitch rack.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=prius

suppose this....i want a vehicle with a warranty and full side-curtain air bags and fixed points for my sons car seat. i don't want to drive a dodge van (per RIS' thread)...and since i have 2 dogs, a pickup truck isn't practical either. a $5000 civic doesn't satisfy that. i'd be looking at a 2002 or earlier model for that kind of money.

i'm not saying the prius is the solution for every person,but every person has unique needs in a vehicle which both RIS and yater completely disregard. that's why i got a honda element (in 2004)...it satisfies my driving needs. i bought it new. and when i replace it eventually, i'll buy another new car. not a used car...why?....because i'll depreciate the vehicle on my taxes and take a big fat tax break - and depending on the car, i'll do it all at once!

the OP drives a prius. it doesn't make him a poser, a bad driver, environmentally insensitive, and he is not responsible for the demise of our economy. saying he is any of those things is just deflecting your own insecurities. i know, once you know that it's hard to un-know it, but it's ok, the rest of us will go easy on you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'll take the van in AWD, please.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    suppose this....i want a vehicle with a warranty and full side-curtain air bags and fixed points for my sons car seat. i don't want to drive a dodge van (per RIS' thread)...and since i have 2 dogs, a pickup truck isn't practical either. a $5000 civic doesn't satisfy that. i'd be looking at a 2002 or earlier model for that kind of money.

i'm not saying the prius is the solution for every person,but every person has unique needs in a vehicle which both RIS and yater completely disregard. that's why i got a honda element (in 2004)...it satisfies my driving needs.
    The words "want" and "need" are not synonyms.

LATCH anchors are no safer than any other approved method of child safety seat mounting. But if it's something that you still want, your vehicle choices are still wide open- most vehicles made since 2002 have LATCH anchors.

...i bought it new. and when i replace it eventually, i'll buy another new car. not a used car...why?....because i'll depreciate the vehicle on my taxes and take a big fat tax break - and depending on the car, i'll do it all at once!
    Claiming on your taxes that your dog/son hauler is a business vehicle so that you can depreciate it on your taxes, is something that most of us (for reasons of personal integrity) would not be willing to stoop to. And depreciating a vehicle on your taxes does little to offset the financial hemorraging caused by depreciation- the maximum amount that you're going to be able to depreciate a new vehicle is only about $3,000 for the first year, dropping quickly to $1775 a year, and you can only depreciate it for five years (your 2004 Element is now seven years old). It is also important to note that depreciating a vehicle does not get you anything remotely approaching a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the amount of taxes that you have to pay.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    I like that fuel economy web site.

The fuel mileages reported by owners of vehicles indicate that the 7.0 liter 505 horsepower V8 engine in the 198 mph 2010 Corvette Z06 gets 1.3 mpg less than the 2004 Honda Element 4WD, and their air polution scores are identical (a rating of 6). Oh, the horrors!

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    I can't find any fuel mileage numbers on that web site for a Prius pushing a roof-mounted bicycle-shaped sail down the highway at 55 mph.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Someone has to buy all of these new cars...otherwise, the used market wouldn't be so full of 3 y/o cars with 20k miles on them.

if you want to question my integrity, then come out from behind your veiled, online screen name.

i own a business, and use my vehicle for business. the fact that i bring my dog to work with me, or pick up my son from daycare after work has no effect on my business use of the vehicle.

depreciating a vehicle actually increases in the 2nd year to 4900, 3rd year 2950, and then decreases to 1775 in subsequent years. it's even higher for trucks and vans.

some of your math is valid - some... i won't argue that. you fail, however, to understand that people have a perceived value for everything.
    you may not see that value because you place $$$$$ as your sole parameter.

Quote Originally Posted by RIS

LATCH anchors are no safer than any other approved method of child safety seat mounting. But if it's something that you still want, your vehicle choices are still wide open- most vehicles made since 2002 have LATCH anchors.

Claiming on your taxes that your dog/son hauler is a business vehicle so that you can depreciate it on your taxes, is something that most of us (for reasons of personal integrity) would not be willing to stoop to. And depreciating a vehicle on your taxes does little to offset the financial hemorraging caused by depreciation- the maximum amount that you're going to be able to depreciate a new vehicle is only about $3,000 for the first year, dropping quickly to $1775 a year, and you can only depreciate it for five years (your 2004 Element is now seven years old). It is also important to note that depreciating a vehicle does not get you anything remotely approaching a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the amount of taxes that you have to pay.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yater
    Someone has to buy all of these new cars...otherwise, the used market wouldn't be so full of 3 y/o cars with 20k miles on them.
    True.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    ...some of your math is valid - some... i won't argue that.

you fail, however, to understand that people have a perceived value for everything.
    you may not see that value because you place $$$$$ as your sole parameter.
    That "perceived value" is the "want" that I spoke of previously.

If it makes you feel any better, I learned this stuff at the school of hard knocks. But I learned from my mistakes, and everything is paid for now. I don't owe a penny to anyone, and have cash in the bank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I regularly drive to a cabin 330 miles from me. We've used various cars, one of which is my wife's 2006 Honda Civic. We can make that drive on a tank that holds 11 gallons of gasoline. Done it multiple times. By the time we enter the town, the low fuel light comes on. That's leaves about 1 more gallon in the tank. I fill up the tanks, and thats enough to get me home again.

Last time I went up there, I put on a trunk mounted bike carrier with two bikes. I had to fill up midway, as we were running low. All in, I put in an extra tank and a quarter with the bikes in the back WTF?

I'd buy a Prius, if they'd just take that danged electric motor and battery out of one It could probably do the same mpg's without 'em. Darn things only good for 12 miles or so.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS

Ah yes, the ultimate thread killer is at it again. What does any of your drivel have to do with the OP's question?

And why are you here? This is a car and BIKER forum

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    I regularly drive to a cabin 330 miles from me. We've used various cars, one of which is my wife's 2006 Honda Civic. We can make that drive on a tank that holds 11 gallons of gasoline. Done it multiple times. By the time we enter the town, the low fuel light comes on. That's leaves about 1 more gallon in the tank. I fill up the tanks, and thats enough to get me home again.

Last time I went up there, I put on a trunk mounted bike carrier with two bikes. I had to fill up midway, as we were running low. All in, I put in an extra tank and a quarter with the bikes in the back WTF?

I'd buy a Prius, if they'd just take that danged electric motor and battery out of one It could probably do the same mpg's without 'em. Darn things only good for 12 miles or so.

Members who have read this thread: 0