Toyota Highlander/kluger + Bike Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Toyota Highlander/kluger + Bike Rack

I currently purchase a new Toyota Kluger or Highlander (USA name). Has anyone used the Thule Apex Swing. Can it accommodate full suspension bikes and it safe to use on carbon frames?

Also

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have a 2011 Highlander and used the Thule Apex swing until I bought Full suspension bikes. Then I bought a platform Kuat Envy rack with the 2 bike extension to carry 4 bikes. The more bikes you carry, the more a platform rack makes sense. You will need to buy the bars to connect any bike without a straight top tube which may cause damage to dropper posts. Apex is hard to put multiple bikes with wide handle bars as well.

Apex is a good rack for hard tails and road bikes. Not as well suited for bigger all-mountain full suspension bikes, in my opinion. If you are just carrying one full suspension bike, it can do, but multiple bikes may touch each other depending on how the seattube connects with the rack.. Best thing to do is try your bike in the rack first. What kind of bike do you want to carry?
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have lapierre spicy team, trek remedy and hd mojo.

The reason I like this Thule apex swinging could have full access to the trunk area without having the bikes blocking it. I could sit down on the trunk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Apex is a good rack. It moves out of the way when you access your trunk. If you ski you can buy the attachment to carry skis on it. However in your application, I would look at a T2 or platform rack.

Apex
    pro -
    rack slides out of the way
    less expensive
    Con -
    takes 3x as long to load bikes
    Need adapter to load bikes like your Mojo and then you can't use the built in lock that comes on the rack
    Bikes with not be as secure and will touch each other when driving.

Platform rack
    Con -
    More expensive
    No easy access to back. (Although some platform will tilt down) and Highlander has the glass that lifts up
    Harder to park when loaded up with 3 bikes

Pro-
    You can put 3 bikes on the car in a minute vs 5 minutes on the Apex.
    You can use the built in lock on the rack
    Your bikes don't touch each other and no damage when moving

Before you buy the rack, take your Mojo and your Remedy in and try putting them on the rack together. That will tell you ifApex works for you. I bought my Apex when I had a XC hardtail and it was great. It use to take about 10 minutes to get 4 bikes on back due to handle bars etc. Once I got a full suspension it was impossible to get 3 bikes on without bikes touching.

Me - Jekyll Carbon. Team
    Wife - Mojo SL
    Big son - Jekyll Carbon Team
    Little guy - Ca˝nondale Trail 20

These all fit on my List and I can load up the bikes in less than 90 seconds. It was worth the trade off for me. Only thing is I take the rack off the back of the car sometimes.

Best thing to do is bring your bike into the store and see how they fit. Your bikes are nice enough, where I would do what's best to protect them. You could also get a roof rack (even though I don't like them much).

Good luck
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    Apex is a good rack. It moves out of the way when you access your trunk. If you ski you can buy the attachment to carry skis on it. However in your application, I would look at a T2 or platform rack.

Apex
    pro -
    rack slides out of the way
    less expensive
    Con -
    takes 3x as long to load bikes
    Need adapter to load bikes like your Mojo and then you can't use the built in lock that comes on the rack
    Bikes with not be as secure and will touch each other when driving.

Platform rack
    Con -
    More expensive
    No easy access to back. (Although some platform will tilt down) and Highlander has the glass that lifts up
    Harder to park when loaded up with 3 bikes

Pro-
    You can put 3 bikes on the car in a minute vs 5 minutes on the Apex.
    You can use the built in lock on the rack
    Your bikes don't touch each other and no damage when moving

Before you buy the rack, take your Mojo and your Remedy in and try putting them on the rack together. That will tell you ifApex works for you. I bought my Apex when I had a XC hardtail and it was great. It use to take about 10 minutes to get 4 bikes on back due to handle bars etc. Once I got a full suspension it was impossible to get 3 bikes on without bikes touching.

Me - Jekyll Carbon. Team
    Wife - Mojo SL
    Big son - Jekyll Carbon Team
    Little guy - Ca˝nondale Trail 20

These all fit on my List and I can load up the bikes in less than 90 seconds. It was worth the trade off for me. Only thing is I take the rack off the back of the car sometimes.

Best thing to do is bring your bike into the store and see how they fit. Your bikes are nice enough, where I would do what's best to protect them. You could also get a roof rack (even though I don't like them much).

Good luck

You're correct my bike doesn't fit on the Thule apex swing.

Tow ball or hitch which one is more versatile I'm considering Thule t2, velocompact or Yakima holdup2?

mtbr member
    Please forgive the interruption:
    As a Highlander might replace my current ride, would a bike fit inside, pref with wheels still attached.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    You're correct my bike doesn't fit on the Thule apex swing.

Tow ball or hitch which one is more versatile I'm considering Thule t2, velocompact or Yakima holdup2?
    Any of those are good. I have a Kuat NV, but any platform rack should be good. You can Thule and Yakima are about the same, but I went with Kuat for life time warranty and build quality. It's a bit more expensive than Yakima or Thule platforms. I'd say any real reputable company will make a rack that should take care of your bikes.

If you want a 4 bike platform, make sure you have a 2" receiver on the vehicle.

Best of luck
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesand View Post
    Please forgive the interruption:
    As a Highlander might replace my current ride, would a bike fit inside, pref with wheels still attached.
    I can put my Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1 (XL) in the back of my highlander with 780mm bars without taking off the wheels. You should be good unless you have a downhill bike.
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade

mtbr member
    Thank you. I doubt I would ever develop the huevos for downhill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The ground clearance of Yakima and Thule isn't as good and even the bike carrier tilted you don't have full access to the trunk without tangling yourself.

I found this ISI-carrier iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems in google and alot of local mtb rider in Australia high recommend it.

Has anyone used this before?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've never used one, but have seen some on the road. They definitely have much better ground clearance. With more than 2 bikes, I'm not sure what visibilty may be like in the rear view.
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have used a T2 for about 10 years now. It has carried full suspension bikes with 2.3" tires and full carbon Litespeed road and my Cervelo TT bike. It is easy to load, does not touch the frame, hinges down to get access to the hatch area, and easily folds up and out of the way. Highly recommended