Toyota GR Yaris!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Toyota GR Yaris!

I want one, with a bike rack. I wish they'd call it something else, though.

https://jalopnik.com/the-268-hp-2020...-sp-1840924138

Rides all the bikes!
    I'd take a used Focus RS myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I'd take a used Focus RS myself
    That things to big and bloated. And we'll, it has the reliability of a Ford. Did they ever get the head gasket thing sorted out on those?

Bikesexual
    Me likes!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    That things to big and bloated. And we'll, it has the reliability of a Ford. Did they ever get the head gasket thing sorted out on those?
    I think Ford did a recall for the head gaskets. I did think about getting a Focus RS down the road...but don't know how well they would be holding up by then. It would have to have some serious low miles on it for me to pick one up.

It would be cool if the engine from the GR Yaris made its way into the 86. I was really looking into one...but the horsepower it made was pretty depressing.

I'd love to see Chris Harris or the Grand Tour guys take the Yaris around a track against some other cars.

EAT MORE GRIME
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Rides all the bikes!
    As the owner of a high mileage Ford (155,000 miles with maintenance only), former owner of a high mileage Ford (ex wife kept the 200,000 mile F150), and long time driver of fleet vehicles (both contractors I worked for used Ford exclusively, with over 300000 miles on the clock of some), I don't really understand the so-called "unreliability". Nothing against Toyota, I know they are quality, but calling Ford unreliable just seems silly when virtually every contractor is using them.

Head gasket was a parts ordering error. They installed a bunch of gaskets meant for the Mustang into the Focus. Once it was identified they issued a recall. Screw up? Yes.

As for bloated, that's an opinion. As a person who currently drives a car the size of a Yaris, and with my ex girlfriend owning a Focus, I preferred the Focus. Being able to comfortably put my bike inside (or even sleep inside, which I have done) while still being compact is a plus. Well, I do sleep in the front seat fairly often, so I guess that's isn't much of an issue. But getting the bike inside would be much nicer.

I've also tracked my little car too, and will again in the future after I put on some actual track tires (who knew that economy tires can't handle track duty? ).

The additional 80 horsepower is nice too.

Of course, Ford discontinuing car sales is stupid and short sides, and a huge win for all other car manufacturers, including Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    It would be cool if the engine from the GR Yaris made its way into the 86. I was really looking into one...but the horsepower it made was pretty depressing.
    Gotta give some glaring looks at Subaru for that. I don't understand why they don't at least TRY to give it a little more.

But in that situation, I would rather get an older Miata anyway.

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The 86 could definitely use a little more horsepower but I've got 85k fun filled miles on mine and I can only think more HP would definitely get me into trouble.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Funny, my RS hasn't had any problems at all. The headgasket was tracked down and solved conclusively. The only cars now with headgasket problems are from people blowing them up or bad work from the dealer.

Speaking of reliability and lack thereof, at least the Yaris won't be a BMW parts bin car like the "Supra". LOL

Test Monkey
    I want one so bad but Toyota probably won't bring it to the US. If they don't I'll "settle" for a used Evo 8 or 9. Only holding out on that purchase to see Toyota's next move.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_MechE View Post
    I want one so bad but Toyota probably won't bring it to the US. If they don't I'll "settle" for a used Evo 8 or 9. Only holding out on that purchase to see Toyota's next move.
    Im think well need to import some into the country. Start our own company, GR Imports

Test Monkey
    Im think well need to import some into the country. Start our own company, GR Imports
    Ha if that wasn't so prohibitively expensive I'd be down. To do it right and not be a Motorex 2.0 the NHSTA and EPA regs would mean buying at least 4-6 for crash testing. Then if it fails you'd have to revise, modify, then crash test more. And emissions is a bunch of paperwork and ecu tuning. By the time that's all done you're looking at a $60k hatchback, albeit a badass one.

mtbr member
    Lol...wait 25 years...then you can import it. The R33 Skylines are now legal to import...just maybe not to California.