Toyota FJ cruiser?- Mtbr.com
    Pirate!!!

Toyota FJ cruiser?

Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? How do you fit your 29er on or in it? Pics?

banned
    Take the front wheel off and load it in backwards on its side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Assuming you meant the modern FJ's.. some quick google turned up:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...e-rack-fj.html

Good luck Capt.
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)

Pirate!!!
    Thanks guys, I'm tinkering with the idea of buying a slightly used one, and just wondering if it would work for hauling the lunar rover "aka" xl Hifi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? How do you fit your 29er on or in it? Pics?
    We have 70K on it. It has been trouble free and is a great ride...................and I will not have another one. It is insanely passenger unfriendly. If that is not a problem, then go for it. You will not be disappointed in the performance.

The FJ

My other Ride is a 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab....I love this truck
    Settle Down, if you were that important the city would give you lights and a siren for your car

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I just bought one Saturday

Getting 2 hardtail 29ers in standing up is tight with a lot of gear, front wheel off, handlebars in first works(with the back seat down) If you don't need the back seat or all of it,then remove the bench part and it will be fine. The bench is designed to be easily removed. Great truck. Comfortable. I haven't sat in the back,and don't plan too. They command a high price used. I ended up buying new for not much more. There are 2010 models out there . That's what I have.Feel free to pm me with questions, I did my homework. Harry

up n over
    Nov 2010
    Perfect girlfriend car.
    Not for kids or dudes.
    HORRIBLE fuel mileage.

(The preceeding was an obvious opinion stated by a male with
    more testosterone than the new wannabe fj can handle.)
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not to Hijack your question, but take a hard look at the Honda Element. After owning one for 3+ years, I feel its the prefect small 4 x 4 for two active people. Two bikes fit inside with front tires off. I made a front mount with a 1 x6 board mounting 2 cheap fork mounts on it. I can't say enough good about it and will buy another.

banned
    Have had one for two years , 120,000 miles , 23 MPG on the highway . Zero issues , change the oil and fluids per Manf. recommendations. Would gladly buy another . Plenty of leg room for my 6'3" .

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Most racks if not all fit 29ers.

I carry two bike on the rear... any size. (spare tire rack made by saris) allows you to open the rear door while still having the bikes loaded.

and two yakima racks on the roof which also allow any size bikes. I've carried 4 bikes on trips with 4 buddies, fully loaded pretty comfortably...

love the truck....

~every end is a new beginning...

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboyd
    My other Ride is a 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab....I love this truck
    I have one too! Possibly one of the most versatile vehicles on the road. You have a lot of fun stuff on that fronty.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Have you considered a used 4runner? Can be had at the same price or less. More interion and sexxxyyyy (see my username for biases)

Apr 2007
    There was a thread in Gen Disc couple weeks ago.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=681939

I agree with 4x4runner - 4Runners are better, unless you are single and do most trips solo or +1.

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I agree with 4x4runner - 4Runners are better, unless you are single and do most trips solo or +1.
    ...or want a manual transmission.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3
    Not to Hijack your question, but take a hard look at the Honda Element. After owning one for 3+ years, I feel its the prefect small 4 x 4 for two active people. Two bikes fit inside with front tires off. I made a front mount with a 1 x6 board mounting 2 cheap fork mounts on it. I can't say enough good about it and will buy another.
    plus one for the Element
    I get 28 mpg on the highway, lots of room inside. I have even gotten my KTM inside
    with a bit of work.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This is very 29er specific. Good thing we had this talk. I was afraid toyota didn't like 29ers.

Pirate!!!
    I'm just toying with the idea, I'd like a fairly capable off road, kid hauling, bike hauling, and call me crazy I like the way it looks rig. I'm now driving a full-size four door truck, that is killer for all the things mentioned above, except offroad capable, and it kills me in gas. I live in the mountains for what it's worth.

Delirious Tuck
    It works fantastically with 29ers, I can fit three in the trunk, typically two though, with the front wheel off. Lock your bike inside while you're at work then drive to trails.

I've had FJ for nearly 4 years and use it to haul up to 4 DH bikes with the T2 + 2 hitch mount, camp, commute, and trail maintain.

Its awesome. When I have 4 bikes, that typically means 4 people, it is not a car for families or long road trips with others. It does work perfectly for my wife, dog, and me for everything and short car pools to the DH mountain or other trails. I love the thing, it gives me warm fuzzies.

Not sure how it'd work for hauling kids and the suicide doors and front seats can make things cumbersome, its like a coupe SUV.

I have the Manual and BFG ATs and a couple lil engine go fast mods, supercharger (URD) is hopefully in future (if I stop buying bikes).

BTW... element while functional will not add credibility to your 29er riding skills, the FJ definitely adds to the skills of the 29er rider

Pirate!!!
    I can see that it's not an overly friendly kid hauler, however the kids usually only ride with me for short distances. I guess the main reason for this post was to ask if my bike would fit inside without to much trouble. And if those who owned one liked it or not?

jrm
    mtbr member

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner
    Have you considered a used 4runner? Can be had at the same price or less. More interion and sexxxyyyy (see my username for biases)
    3rd or 4th gen. Provide more room for stuff, sleeping, no blind spots and a huge aftermarket and internet knowledge base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toyota FJ cruiser?-4runner-w-hankooks-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have an FJ and 2 kids and I Love it great with kids!!! the only time it sucks is if someone parks too close to you. I have had ours since they were first out and have 80k on it and it has been the single most trouble free car I have ever owned

NedwannaB

Kid challenged

I'm just toying with the idea, I'd like a fairly capable off road, kid hauling, bike hauling, and call me crazy I like the way it looks rig. I'm now driving a full-size four door truck, that is killer for all the things mentioned above, except offroad capable, and it kills me in gas. I live in the mountains for what it's worth.
    I was looking at one a couple years ago but as I had my 3 girls jump in and checkout the back seating it was a unanimous . It would have been a draw straws for the front seat each time we ventured out. NOT! Claustriphobic. Have to agree. Suicide half doors were fine, but it was the lack of operable windows and carnival ride type feeling for them.

That being said, there's no SO for me at the present time, but I would definitely re-think this vehicle if it was just two of us, maybe an animal or two. The four legged kind ofcourse.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3
    I have an FJ and 2 kids and I Love it great with kids!!! the only time it sucks is if someone parks too close to you. I have had ours since they were first out and have 80k on it and it has been the single most trouble free car I have ever owned
    Do you put your bike(s) in or on it?

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    3rd or 4th gen. Provide more room for stuff, sleeping, no blind spots and a huge aftermarket and internet knowledge base.
    And for those wanting a manual, the 3rd Gen offered it from 96-00. IIRC, some Tacoma/FJC 6-sp transmissions had problems. I miss my 3rd Gen's. Until I get in my Land Cruiser.

mtbr member
    Do you put your bike(s) in or on it?
    With two kids inside on...with an XL bike it's hard to put in anything unless I want to remove seat post and both wheels...which I never do.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3
    With two kids inside on...with an XL bike it's hard to put in anything unless I want to remove seat post and both wheels...which I never do.

I wouldn't be transporting kids and bikes "inside" at the same time. I also plan to get a rack, I was just wondering if it would work for those times when it was just me and a buddy?

NedwannaB

Then Yes.

I wouldn't be transporting kids and bikes "inside" at the same time. I also plan to get a rack, I was just wondering if it would work for those times when it was just me and a buddy?
    Friend, pal, buddy or otherwise. Looks from other posts it's wheel off, slide in fork first.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Apr 2007
    If you're planning on a roof rack, be careful. The FJ stands tall as it is. Any tree overhangs, garages, parking lots, etc. would mean a new frame/bike. After my neighbor trashed his Madone 3 times (2 - Garage and 1- Drive Thru), I decided to get a hitch mount rack for my LC. Wheels stay on, bikes stay in one piece.

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Friend, pal, buddy or otherwise. Looks from other posts it's wheel off, slide in fork first.
    i've found remove front wheel and drop the right side rear seat and you can easily fit two bikes in rear wheel toward front of vehicle, and they prop up against the left side seat and don't move if you get the corner of the seat (soft) through the front tri properly. Max I've done is three in this fashion.

jrm
    mtbr member

Im on my 2nd

And for those wanting a manual, the 3rd Gen offered it from 96-00. IIRC, some Tacoma/FJC 6-sp transmissions had problems. I miss my 3rd Gen's. Until I get in my Land Cruiser.

heres the 1st one
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i wonder if the fj cruiser is up for a redesign. i can't stand the look of it right now.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    i wonder if the fj cruiser is up for a redesign. i can't stand the look of it right now.
    The rumor is that they'll do away with it altogether. I thought they were ok at first, but with a couple test drives, I knew I would never buy one. The 4Runner (Trail) does everything it can with more space and better rear doors.

mtbr member

lol had to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner

lol had to.
    had one of those but had to get rid of it. the gas was killing me.

mtbr member
    Love my Fj.
    Gets about the same MPGs as the wife's 4 Runner.
    Cargo space isn't much smaller. As said, you can fit bikes in the back if you have to.
    The ATRAC system is better then the 4 Runner's for wheelin'. IMO
    Make sure you get one with at least a rear locker. You can add the ATRAC switch later.

Some love the looks and others don't.
    Do yourself a favor and drive a couple and make up your own mind.
    Remember, the manual is AWD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toyota FJ cruiser?-dsc00176.jpg  

Too many toys, not enough time.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phierce
    Remember, the manual is AWD.

What do you mean? The one with a manual is not true 4wd with low range? or is it AWD all the time?

mtbr member
    Manual is full time AWD with 4H 4HL 4L. Auto is standard 2H 4H 4L

Pirate!!!
    Manual is full time AWD with 4H 4HL 4L. Auto is standard 2H 4H 4L
    Wow I did not know this, does it have any negative effects in off road performance? I'm sure it has an effect on fuel consumption and tire wear.

mtbr member
    No negative affects other then maybe a 1mpg difference from the auto.

Apr 2007
    Phierce - IIRC, the ATRAC II is the same in both the FJC and 4Runner Trail.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I just picked up a 2011 4-Runner Trail Edition. I looked at the X-terra, FJ Cruiser, Wrangler Unlimited and every other off-road capable machine out there. Lots of room, plenty capable, decent gas mileage, reasonable price. The 4-Runner wins for me.

33's already installed, coilover lift and sliders on the way. T2 on the back and Autohome roof top tent up top. Bring on camping season!!!

Apr 2007
    Err - The new TE's are awesome. I'd have one if I hadn't bought my LC. Have you seen the vids of Toyota taking it through Rubi? Hilarious video. Front and rear bumpers were duct taped, but she made it!

EDIT: http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6586500...deo/index.html

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I have, amusing adventure there. This is my 3rd 4-Runner and I've also had an '83 4wd Pickup and a 87 FJ60. The 4-Runner just joined my H3T and they will now be battling it out for camping and off-road supremacy.

No pics of the TE yet but here's my H3T ->

mtbr member
    Phierce - IIRC, the ATRAC II is the same in both the FJC and 4Runner Trail.
    The Trail is new last year, right? I'm comparing it to our 2008 4 runner. Not familiar with the new one.........yet!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The Trail is new last year, right? I'm comparing it to our 2008 4 runner. Not familiar with the new one.........yet!
    Yep, the Trail Edition (TE) was new with the 5th Gen in 2010. The TE gets a rear locker, ATRAC, optional KDSS, water resistant seats, other goodies. It unfortunately gets a ghey non-functional hood scoop and no full time 4wd option. But, overall it's a nice package.

Apr 2007
    No, they made a Trail Edition in the 4th Gen Body. 2009 model year.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=18841

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    No, they made a Trail Edition in the 4th Gen Body. 2009 model year.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=18841
    Oh crap you are technically correct. I was referring to the 5th gen TE as starting in 2010. There definitely was a 2009 TE in the 4th gen platform.

Pirate!!!
    I'm jumping ship here guys, I looked at an FJ today and it was a little small for my liking. I'm thinking Tacoma now.

Apr 2007
    Can I just say I told you so?

Tacoma's are sweet, too. I had a 2002 Double Cab. It was a great rig. I'm actually looking at getting the new gen Tacoma this year. Trucks make house work much easier.

Pirate!!!
    Can I just say I told you so?

Tacoma's are sweet, too. I had a 2002 Double Cab. It was a great rig. I'm actually looking at getting the new gen Tacoma this year. Trucks make house work much easier.

You are right, and with TRD and a locked up rear-end I bet it will wheel just as good as the FJ. And haul my bikes with ease. My current ride is a 2007 tundra crewmax TRD 4x4, And I feel the need to down-size.

Apr 2007
    Unless you're doing crazy tight extreme trails, I prefer LWB anyway. Good luck with the Taco.

mtbr member
    I have a FJ and a HiFi, Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 2