Toyota Camry / Hitch Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Toyota Camry / Hitch Help

I am just getting into biking and have decided getting a hitch to get my bike around. I have a 1999 Toyota Camry and have been looking at hitches in etrailer.com. Particularly this page: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1999_Toyota_Camry.htm

I am not sure which hitch is the best quality of the bunch, anyone have any recommendations? Also what else do I need from that site if I purchase the hitch? Finally can someone recommend me a rack to attach to it once I have it all together. From the research I did on here I know that they should not be used for more than two bikes but that is fine for me.
    I did look into some roof racks but I had some temporary ones for my snowboards and were not to fond of them. I hated the noise and they killed my paint which I would not like to happen again since the car is recently painted. Also the trunk racks seem a little shaky. It seems like the hitch would be the right way to go, unless you have a different opinion. Thanks for any help you can give me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This is one of those instances where the prices tell the story. The Curt hitch is the nicest one. Draw-tite and Hidden Hitch are both made by the same parent company: Sequent Towing. They're not bad hitches, but the finish and construction is definitely not as good as the Curt. The powder coating process is the biggest difference. You can't see it from the images, but the Curt hitch is glossy black and the others are more of a matte finish.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the Curt Hitch and the Swagman XC2. Is there anything else I will have to purchase? Do I have to purchase a Drawbar Rise kit like they recommend for the Draw-Tite?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I hope you get this before you order.

Look in the phone book for a truck center or someplace that sells hitches. Many people like U-Haul but the ones by me are horrible. I, for one, would not order one of these online unless I were a mechanic or had consulted a mechanic. They are not terribly intricate but there can be little nuances that complicate matters when bolting stuff to your car's frame.

Your local auto shop can install (and maybe order direct) and you might save a $$. I took my minivan to a truck shop and got the hitch and installation for about $200 and 35 minute wait.

As for the rack. You'll get many different answers. Your fundamental issue is whether you want to hang bikes by their top tubes or just place them onto a wheel tray. The Thule T2 is like the later: pick up the bike, plop it into a tray and secure an arm and strap. 30 seconds and you're off. A minute if you use a cable lock. I have one. It's the most hassle free rack I've ever owned, much nicer than lifting to the roof. The only concern I have is getting into a rear end collision but once you start carrying stuff on the exterior of your vehicle there will always be some trade-offs in terms of safety and security.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Curt hitch comes with the right ball mount for your car. If you have a really high trailer, you may need one with more rise, but I doubt it. It also includes a pin/clip/hardware kit. You shouldn't need any other parts. The Swagman XC2 is a good choice as well. You should be happy with the package.

Ken

mtbr member
    May 2008
    BTW, installing a hitch yourself is usually just a matter of bolting it up to existing holes in your frame. That hitch installs in about 45 minutes. It is a little harder than some of the others because it requires a few holes to be drilled in the frame, but it's not a big deal. We have the detailed installation instructions here:

Toyota Camry Trailer Hitch, Curt Mfg #12339

Ken

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I installed one on my 97 camry. I can't remember the brand but the metal strap went over the exhaust pipe vs below. I no longer have the car so I cannot verify which one it is.

It is cake walk to install one of these on a (1997) camry. You can do it in 10-15min on this car as it is purely bolt on. You do not need any extra parts. I think I added lockwashers but that was it.

EDIT: I just looked at the Curt instructions and this rack has 6 holes vs the 4 on mine. This one will take a little bit longer to install.

I used an older sportworks rack since my forks are 20mm and I wanted the ease of dropping the bike into the rack and go vs. having to remove the wheel. If you have a QR fork, I would recommend something lighter. The problem with the camrys is that they are sprung very soft so you will get some sag.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by train36
    I am just getting into biking and have decided getting a hitch to get my bike around. I have a 1999 Toyota Camry and have been looking at hitches in etrailer.com. Particularly this page: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1999_Toyota_Camry.htm

I am not sure which hitch is the best quality of the bunch, anyone have any recommendations? Also what else do I need from that site if I purchase the hitch? Finally can someone recommend me a rack to attach to it once I have it all together. From the research I did on here I know that they should not be used for more than two bikes but that is fine for me.
    I did look into some roof racks but I had some temporary ones for my snowboards and were not to fond of them. I hated the noise and they killed my paint which I would not like to happen again since the car is recently painted. Also the trunk racks seem a little shaky. It seems like the hitch would be the right way to go, unless you have a different opinion. Thanks for any help you can give me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Are the other hitches that much worse than the Curt? I am not sure about drilling holes into my frame. If I get a hitch and it seems to tricky to install I will run in up to my local body shop. They are good guys and I am sure they will help me out without charging me much. The Camry's are sprung soft and I am sure I will get some sag. I am trying only to carry my bike and maybe one more from time to time. So hopefully it wont be too much of a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I put a U-haul hitch on our Toyota Sienna and I have the Swagman xc2 rack, this is a nice set-up & easy to use. BTW U-haul will install the hitch if you want them to.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The other hitches are fine, too. They're just not as nicely finished and will probably rust sooner. I'm surprised that one manufacturer would only use two bolts and another would use four, though. That might be data from a class I hitch instead of a class II. If you're carrying bikes, you definitely want a class II hitch. You should just make sure that you get a class II and then check whether it is 2 or 4 bolts. If it is 4 bolts, too, I'd go with the Curt hitch.

Members who have read this thread: 0