Toyota 4runner Rack Pics: Please Post!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Toyota 4runner Rack Pics: Please Post!

I just bought a 2005 4runner but am not sure about racks. I currently have my yakima rack from my jeep cherokee sport (98) but have to make some mods, such as longer crossbars, etc. some things to note:
    i have a kona coilair w/ thru axle, which is somewhat of a pain to put on the roof (at least on the jeep w/out steps. toyo has steps but is a little taller. i was using a friends' yakima king cobra for this.
    i also have a haro w/ a manitou fork that didn't fit the yakima fork mount trays, so i bought a rockymounts lariat w/ disc adapter.
    next comes the gf's fork mount yakima tray.

i want versatility but won't be taking both of my bikes at the same time. the woman's bike is a stumpy ht, so putting it up top is easy.

i also plan on eventually hauling around some sort of canoe / kayak when i move out of the desert and swapping the stock tires for the all terrains. i am pretty sure the full size all terrain will fit where the current spare resides.

i'd like to see as many 4runner pics as possible to see what my options are.
    if you have any feelings about the positives or negatives i'd appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    bump

Meathead
    It's a bit late, but here you go....I can get you more pics later if you want.

The 4R is an '04. The racks are Yakima Raptors. They mounted directly to the stock luggage racks via Yakima Mighty Mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meathead
    To go along with the post, I'm only 5'8", and my 4R is lifted 3" + 33" tires. I don't have any problem at all getting bikes loaded/unloaded. I just hop on the rear tire, with the bike in one hand, and the other hand I grab the luggage rack, then swing the bike up and mount it. Never hit myself or the vehicle.

Due to reasons like you listed, I'm going to be installing Yakima crossbars to spread out the Raptor racks, and make room for more junk. Cargo, gear, luggage, whatever....Right now, on the stock luggage rack, the Raptors are too close together to attach much of anything else up top. Several times I've had big boxes that I couldn't fit inside the cabin not fit between the Raptor racks either....that really ticked me off.

Overall though, I'm happy with the top mounted rack. Since I'm lazy, I didn't want to ever take the rack off once it was installed, and I never have to worry about getting rear ended and ruining any bike(s) with them always on top. Also, with the Raptor racks, I don't have to take the front tire off to load it up either.

Are we there yet?
    No pics but on my 4Runner I have a Sportsworks hitch rack similar to this

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...tch-2-inch.asp

I had the roof mounted racks but after I lost a mtb off the roof rack I was never comfortable with bikes on the roof again. I love the tray racks over the racks that require you to balance the bike on the top tube. Bikes ride much better on the tray IMHO.

On our trip to Telluride we had two bikes on the hitch rack and two in a cargo carrier on the roof. 4 people with their bikes, panniers and gear was a bit like a jigsaw puzzle but we were able to make it work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How'd you lose a bike off the top? That's always been one of my biggest fears, but it hasn't happened yet in the ten years I've had a roof rack. I recently bought a Copperhead on sale so I can add a third bike but regret it since the fork mount seems to be made out of a lot of plastic.

Buy extra long crossbars. I put bikes on the ends of the crossbars over the doors and put any luggage or skis and snowboards in between the bikes. Fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivedays
    How'd you lose a bike off the top? That's always been one of my biggest fears, but it hasn't happened yet in the ten years I've had a roof rack. I recently bought a Copperhead on sale so I can add a third bike but regret it since the fork mount seems to be made out of a lot of plastic.
    I don't know about him, but my buddy had a roof rack, forgot his bike was up there, and pulled into a parking garage...end of bike

I'm looking at racks for an FJ Cruiser. I don't have a hitch, but I might get one just so I can put in a hitch mounted rack.

mtbr member

what mods?

damn y'all are slow! it's like asking a chick to prom and having her reply afterwards. just messing around...thanks for the replies!

i like that rack and was using my buddy's for some time on the cherokee but getting my kona coilair up there was an absolute pain. throwing 36lbs. up and rolling into place was a little risky, even when on the wheel or a little stool.
    Last edited by bandit350; 11-21-2007 at 10:53 PM.

Sweep the leg!
    I'll take a picture this weekend for you of our Y2K 4Runner.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivedays
    for me 80 mph + 3 bikes + 91 civic yakima roof mounts on a 94 accord was enough to lose the whole damn rack ... luckily it landed upright so the bikes never hit the ground, and there wasnt a car behind me
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Sweep the leg!
    Here's what I run on the back, a Thule I don't think you can buy anymore.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

jrm
    mtbr member

sportsrack

[98 4runner.

ballbuster

Heh

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    [98 4runner.
    I remember that 24hoa. There I am like a big fat dork waving. Good times. I'd like to run that again in '08.

Members who have read this thread: 1