tow hitch/bike carrier or car rack/bike carrier dilemma- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

tow hitch/bike carrier or car rack/bike carrier dilemma

Hi all:

I have been struggling with this decision for a while. Our new corolla is just too small for putting a bike inside - either for trips to the bike store, across town to a trail, or on a vacation for that matter. I was first considering a tow hitch with a platform carrier OR a roof rack with a fork style bike carrier. Each has its drawbacks and advantages.

tow hitch route: bikes are held behind the bumper. A rear end collision would destroy the bikes and possibly damage the car more than colliding with a "naked" bumper since I imagine impacting the hitch could damage the frame. Do drivers spot these bike carriers in the dark when you are coming to a stop? However, this approach eliminates any contact with my car's paint. Another minor drawback is I'm told Toyota doesn't recommend any sort of tow hitch/carrier device although mounting nuts for the toe hitch exist on the car.;I don't think this is a big deal since I can't imagine 80 pounds or so of combined carrier/bike weight will really harm anything - but it is a consideration.

car rack route: I really don't like the idea of anything contacting the paint and the quality car racks like Thule inevitably require clamps of some sorts (albeit with cushions). Does dirt work its way underneath the pads and result in scratches that are revealed when the car rack is removed? On the plus side, a nice car rack would allow for a luggage carrier to also be mounted for family vacations when we are starved for cargo space. But, I'm not sure I like the idea of having to heave a bike to the top of the car for fear I might drop it onto the roof. PS I'm told a fork style bike rack works best in terms of stability and security driving down the highway.

Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Will90; 03-18-2016 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This forum-
    Car & Biker - Mtbr.com
    But tow hitch and silver 1upUSA rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks, and sorry for the improper placement in this forum. I've put this thread in the recommended forum.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Heh, heh, he said "toe" hitch...

mtbr member
    I'm gonna echo eb1888 and recommend tow hitch (and a 1UPUSA rack. )

The tow hitch just always seemed like less hassle than the roof mounted option.
    Rear-end collision has never been a consideration in this decision. That's what insurance is for, right?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Heh, heh, he said "toe" hitch...
    Someone call a toe truck!

Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    I have had a roof rack fork style and the kind where you don't have to take the tire off, and s hitch rack. If you have to go roof rack, get the kind where you leave your tire on. If you can get a hitch rack get one. By far the best. No wind noise, no worry of hitting your garage. No gas mileage loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Elitest thrill junkie
    See my post in the car and biker forum. The idea that your corolla can't tow a small amount is likely BS.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Roof mounts are for kayaks.