Totem Pole Rack best rack for family of five? What's my options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Totem Pole Rack best rack for family of five? What's my options?

Hi...

So planning family biking trips and trying to figure out how to get everybody's bikes to the trails without breaking the budget. Have a '01 four bike Thule but just won't cut it with five ranging from three maybe four 26's and a 20" and 16". Of course may just use what I have and tear the smaller ones down and throw them on the roof or something.

I have an Expedition with rear air bags so not concerned as much about weight. Storage is concerning though.

Found the TP Rack for my neighbor last year and he's been using it on numerous trips for his family of six and loves it and seems to be good and condensable.

So it's high on my list. Just did a google search and advanced search here and got nothing on the Totem.

Reasons for concern for using Totem outside scratches? Don't think the North Shore Bike Rack is any easier on bikes and maybe tough to load 16" and 20". Like the Kuat NR add on but that's only four in total. Will it extend to six? Maybe I should just build my own? Any designs out there I can borrow?

Thanks in advance...

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    120 views so people are curious too.

Anybody have any real concerns of these bikes hanging from their front tire. That's my only real concern at this point...

Thanks,

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So, I have never seen this rack, nor know anything about it. That said, it looks like it works fine. I hate that the bikes make contact with each other as part of the design, and it seems like there would still be a fair amount of movement as the rack gets jostled around. While i don't think it will throw a bike, I do think that the bikes have risk of getting scuffed up.

for my tastes, I would rather do something like the Northshore, or Softride Hang5 because they don't put the bikes directly in contact with each other as part of the design. This may not make much difference to you.