Top Gear on History Channel - Honda CR-Z vs mt. bikers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Top Gear on History Channel - Honda CR-Z vs mt. bikers

Anyone see that? Two things I like, hybrids and bikes. It was really cool seeing the two bikers ride. How do I ride like that?

Btw, love the CR-Z, but around 37mpg for a hybrid? I know it's supposed to be a sports car, but I expect a bit more in fuel efficiency.

Digital Toast
    I did see it. I like the CR-Z as well, but damn is it small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The CRZ is worthless IMO. It's bad at both of what it's trying to do. 0-60 in 10.5 seconds, 17.6 seconds @ 80.1 MPH in the quarter mile? .85g slalom limit? And mid 30's mpg?

That my friends, is a steaming pile of crap.

Village Dirtbag
    The CR-Z is a PO-S. It's not sporty, it's not practical, the mpg is average for a small car and not very good for a hybrid, and absolutely sucks considering this car is BOTH of those. It's also saddled with the coarse and unrefined Insight drivetrain and chassis.

The ONLY good thing I can say about this car is that it's the best styled Honda to come out in a while...but that's not saying much & it has it's styling problems, too. Namely, the cowel is way too high, and the schnoz way too big. It's basically a half-assed attempt to kludge something that looks like the Honda CR-Z concept car into their under-selling Insight chassis and drivetrain & maybe move a little more iron.

Ironically, the old Insight from 10 years ago was much sportier and got double the mpg. Major failure. Honda is really losing it.

Edit- I was just thinking...my '98 Accord 5-spd gets 29 in town and about 32 on the highway. Spittin' distance from the CR-Z at 30/37, except the old Accord twice as big inside and has way better visibility.
    Last edited by @dam; 01-14-2011 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i'm not sure how it rides but it is ugly imo.

Kaishingo
    Has this show gotten any better? I watched the first or second episode and turned it off after a few minutes. Really couldn't stand the hosts - they were trying a little too hard to be the UK guys. Went and watched Top Gear UK's x-mas special instead.

Dirt Huffer
    You can buy an early 90's Honda that gets nearly 40mpg for much less. New cars are heavy as hell.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla
    Has this show gotten any better? I watched the first or second episode and turned it off after a few minutes. Really couldn't stand the hosts - they were trying a little too hard to be the UK guys. Went and watched Top Gear UK's x-mas special instead.
    I'm a huge fan of the "real" Top Gear. The new one definitely isn't as good, but I've tried to stay open to it. I have to say, the Alaska episode (Episode 9 I think) really had me laughing. I agree some things try to copy BBC's Top Gear too much, but I think with time the chemistry between the hosts will improve and the show should (hopefully) develop its own personality.

PS - Clarkson is my hero.
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    this was the real top gear vs mountain bike....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NTYa9_6XDfo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    I know it's supposed to be a sports car, but I expect a bit more in fuel efficiency.
    I know it's supposed to be fuel efficient, but I expect a bit more sports car.

Needs more K20

But medicore hybrid cars aside, Top Gear America gives me a sad

addicted
    Oh how I wanted the U.S. topgear to succeed but the first season is pure unadultrated [email protected] Maybe if there is a season 2 they might be their own show and not copy the stunts from the original, that are somehow more entertaining with an english accent. rant over

Village Dirtbag
    Yeah- Although Top Gear has plowed the ground with funny car ideas, there are a lot of opportunity in the US for their own competitions. I'd like to see each host run a Le Mons team. Maybe they could build a mobile home out of an actual house with junkyard trucks underneath going 5 directions at once. Perhaps they could throw some junkyard wars action in there and build $1500 rock crawlers, dragsters, etc. Maybe they could enter a carshow with a complete carichature of what they think makes a cool custom car (picture the Homer Simpson car). Pretty much anything they build where pieces fall off while they use it is funny.

I'd like to see some car executive interviews in the spirit of Colbert or Triumph the insult dog.

Members who have read this thread: 0