Tire holding bike rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Tire holding bike rack

I'm looking for a new bike rack to hold two bikes and fit a 2" reciever hitch that does not contact the frame what's out there? The good and bad what's your favorite?
    Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    There's A LOT of options. 1up is popular, I have a kuat transfer 2 that works great.

True tray racks are a bit more expensive than options that grab the frame but I trust them better as suspension has no effect on how well they hold the bikes.

Any and all will work with 2" receiver. Many come with an adapter sleeve so they can be used either way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    generally the consensus is 1Up, although some people like Kuat. theyre both pricey.
    i bought a 1Up becuase I only carry one bike the majority of the time, and i dont have to put the rack down in order to get the rear hatch of my SUV open. had it for 2 years and love it

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    If you want zero frame contact, 1up is the best. Most Yakima, Thule and Kaut racks will contact the front fork. It all depends what you consider frame contact.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    What tray racks contact front fork. I have a simple transfer 2 and it doesn't come anywhere near the forks. Other racks I've seen with similar design, none touch the fork unless it's user error putting the bike in wrong. Transfer 2 isn't even rated for a full fat bike that fits 4.8 tires but still have tons of space between forks and any part of the rack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you I will look at those listed!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Rocky Mounts Monorail.
    2018 XL Trek Fuel 7 EX
    2016 XL Framed Wolftrax Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Utilitrack View Post
    Rocky Mounts Monorail.
    +1 I got one of these and I really like it.

Rent this space for $
    Thule T2. Awesome rack. The only spot it touches is the the little brake line retaining clip on the fork and maybe a tiny spot on the lower but it doesn't rub or leave any indication after a year of use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    If you want zero frame contact, 1up is the best. Most Yakima, Thule and Kaut racks will contact the front fork. It all depends what you consider frame contact.

When a frame is not a fork... or a fork is a frame...? Hmm, I don't think its as complicated as you are trying to make it.

mtbr member
    My current favorite hitch rack is the Saris Superclamp 2. I previously owned a 1up and a Thule T2. The Saris holds the bikes more securely than both of those and also weighs less and is more compact in size. The 1up is the most expensive option and I think most people only like it so much because they need to justify spending that much money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    My current favorite hitch rack is the Saris Superclamp 2. I previously owned a 1up and a Thule T2. The Saris holds the bikes more securely than both of those and also weighs less and is more compact in size. The 1up is the most expensive option and I think most people only like it so much because they need to justify spending that much money.
    I disagree that people justify spending the money on 1up just to say they spent a lot of money. My 1up roof trays also work on the hitch assembly. In one purchase I was able to have both a roof rack and a hitch rack. That is a huge savings in money for me. With any other product I would have had to purchase an $800 hitch rack and then spend almost the same amount of money on roof trays.

The 1up allows me to have both a hitch option and a roof option at no additional cost.

mtbr member
    Iím definitely going with a 1up Rack next time. Iíve had a Thule T2 for for 10+ plus years. There are times it will stay on my vehicle for 12 months straight, and PNW winters have taken a toll on it. The powder coating is flaking and the steel parts are covered in rust. If you live in dryer climates, Iím sure this wonít be an issue. I have friends that have the Kuat rack and they look much worse than mine over a shorter period of time. For me, an aluminum rack seems much more appealing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Iím definitely going with a 1up Rack next time. Iíve had a Thule T2 for for 10+ plus years. There are times it will stay on my vehicle for 12 months straight, and PNW winters have taken a toll on it. The powder coating is flaking and the steel parts are covered in rust. If you live in dryer climates, Iím sure this wonít be an issue. I have friends that have the Kuat rack and they look much worse than mine over a shorter period of time. For me, an aluminum rack seems much more appealing.
    Hmm, you got 10 years out of the Thule and you left it on the car year round in the PNW with that rain and smog? I think that deserves some kind of award.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I had a Saris Superclamp 4 for 2 years, and while it was a nice rack it had a few issues. This was the first generation of Superclamp 4, I think they might have made some improvements which came out last season.

1. Plastic lever for hinge/drop function broke first use.

2. The bikes are super close. I gouged the seat tube of my daughters bike with platform pedals on my wife's bike. Once this happened I removed all pedals before they went on the rack. I also found myself loosening stem bolts and straightening bars inline with top tube. SUPER inconvenient and this defeated the simplicity of having a 4-bike hitch rack in the first place.

3. The spine (main bar as they called it) rusted through in 2 years. Replacement sent fast no questions asked. I am in Colorado, and things are super dry here - 50+ year old cars here don't rust type of dry.

4. Didn't play well with 24, 26, 26+ and 29er wheel size combination due to wheelbase variances and one beam shared with two bikes. 24" bike always looked like it might fly out, so I put that one on closest to the vehicle.

5. Plastic wheel holder failed on outside-most rack position, and I lost my bike. Luckily I had a cable lock running through all bikes, and just had to replace a lock-on grip. We heard it snap, we hit a dip in road going 85 through Utah headed to Moab (which is the speed limit there). This is where I really question plastic on a bike rack. Saris was really good and sent out two tray replacements and wheel straps no questions asked. This was about 2 years in and I think the sun maybe made it brittle, all the yellow parts had turned tan-ish at that point.

The rack was really light, I was able to put it in and out myself with ease, and my wife was even able to lift it up. But hope some of the above issues were fixed. If you were running two normal sized bikes, I think the Superclamp 2 would be fine, but watch those pedals, bikes do sit super close on that rack and will rub!
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Hmm, you got 10 years out of the Thule and you left it on the car year round in the PNW with that rain and smog? I think that deserves some kind of award.
    Iím not terribly disappointed, but Iíve had to replace several parts of the rack over the years due to it being in the PNW weather most of the time. It actually started within the first couple years. Thule has been great to deal with, they have either sent out parts at no charge or at a very reasonable cost.

mtbr member
    Swagman semi is probably the most affordable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the thule t2 916xtr and the Kuat NV 2.0. Both work awesome. I like the double lock system on the old T2 (the Thule and Kuat locks are not wonderful and I recommend using a sheathed chain if you leave your bike without a clear line of sight. I use the stock locks to get coffee or eat, but only if I can park by a window where I'll be sitting, otherwise I pull out the heavy duty chain). Had the Thule for over a decade, and still going strong. That includes leaving it on the car for 12 months a few seasons in Nor Cal and Missouri. Outside of one of the mounting strap metal pieces, and where the rack meets the hitch, no rust. I have used a marine lube on it occasionally. Sprayed on some Eastwood frame paint on the hitch and the rack and it looks new. Got the Kuat for my extra rig. Both have a lifetime warranty, which, like the Swiss flag, is a huge plus.

I recommend buying from Als.com, which is in my home town (I now live out of state but still order from them regularly). If you live outside of Utah you get free shipping and no tax. They almost always have a 20% coupon on their home page. They also have VIP pricing on everything (sign up for their mailing list-prices update automatically in cart. Some deals are better than 20% off, and includes bikes). The VIP pricing can't be stacked with coupons. They just had a 25% coupon for mail subscribers for mother's day for email list subscribers (worth being on their email list).

I have no affiliation with Als, I just appreciate that they tend to have good deals with coupons (in-store pricing is so-so). In my experience it is hard to find the Kuat on sale, although REI has a 20% off coupon later this month, so that is an option too (add sales tax of course)...

I picked up the Kuat from Als when they had a 25% off coupon for $478 shipped. Not too bad.