A tip to OneUp rack owners- Mtbr.com
    Flat Pluto Society

A tip to OneUp rack owners

I was looking at my rack this morning and realized that somehow, it got bent. I could have backed into it without knowing, or someone backed into me.

Damage was minimal- I had to straighten the blue lever that holds the tire tray into place, and the bolt that holds that lever was pretty badly bent. I straightened that, too, and reassembled. All is good now, but I am leaving the levers unengaged, so that if someone backs into the rack, all that will happen (hopefully) is that the tray gets moved and nothing gets bent. I did tighten down the bolt that lets the tray swivel, so it won't move unless it's pushed pretty hard.

Here's a pic, with Endo keeping lookout. You can see the blue lever in its unengaged position, and the bolt I tightened is above it, in the tray.

Hopefully, I can save someone some grief. They might not be as lucky as I was.

A tip to OneUp rack owners-oneup.jpg
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I damaged my rack a while ago and the good thing is that I got replacement parts from OneUp in a really short time. Try doing that with another company.

Bikesexual
    I'm in the habit of folding it up anytime I park in any parking structure.

Do you always leave the levers like that? (While driving?)
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Out spokin'
    Thanks, Finch. Good idea. I backed into something and had to do some straightening, too. Plus replace the blue lock levers and nuts/bolts ó to the tune of $16ish IIRC. Anyway I think Iíll try your approach and leave the blue lock levers disengaged. I already snugged the tray swivel bolts.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Moderator Moderator
    Now that is a great idea!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I damaged my rack a while ago and the good thing is that I got replacement parts from OneUp in a really short time. Try doing that with another company.
    Yes. I was already sold and happy but that increased when they shipped a part fast and my rack was repaired instead of junk. A friend was rear ended and that parts availability and the 1Up build made all the difference. He got the parts needed and soon.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Rent this space for $
    There seems to be some vibe that OneUp is the only one with parts and service? Spares and repair parts for Thule easily available for most all models, even older units (like old T2) I have ordered online and had delivered inside of a week. And they were actually cheap and actual USPS Priority charges were charged, nothing over-inflated. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I am glad you got your Thule parts. When you live in Canada getting parts for anything can become a big ordeal. When I get parts easily it always surprises me.
    I cannot reference Thule but a recent Fox problem went like this.
    Order online..Wait...Get email we won't ship that to Canada, go through your distributor, distributor say we don't stock that..wait....wait..wait..receive at a overinflated price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    There seems to be some vibe that OneUp is the only one with parts and service? Spares and repair parts for Thule easily available for most all models, even older units (like old T2) I have ordered online and had delivered inside of a week. And they were actually cheap and actual USPS Priority charges were charged, nothing over-inflated. Am I missing something?
    I agree, I have also had only good experiences getting parts for Saris racks as well. When I had one of their old roof racks many years ago a few replacement parts were sent under the lifetime warranty at no cost to me. My current Superclamp 2 rack has not needed any parts yet.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I'm in the habit of folding it up anytime I park in any parking structure.

Do you always leave the levers like that? (While driving?)
    My rack is kind of a bastardized version- I had parts, and ordered parts to make it whole, so it doesn't fold up.

And yes, I leave the levers unengaged while driving, unless there's a bike on the rack.
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    My rack is kind of a bastardized version- I had parts, and ordered parts to make it whole, so it doesn't fold up.

And yes, I leave the levers unengaged while driving, unless there's a bike on the rack.
    Got it. Thanks.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check