Tinted windows Yeah or Nay- Mtbr.com
    jrm
    mtbr member

Tinted windows Yeah or Nay

i have removed the tint from the front 2 windows, debadged the car and with a tire upgrade the car rides a tiny bit lower. The car looks good now but im contemplating removing the tint from the remaining 5 windows for a cleaner look. its going to be a PAIN big time i know, and im kinda worried about messing up the defroster stuff....

Turner Homer
    How dark is the tint, is it in legal darkness or illegal? I would say remove it, also advance auto parts sells this stuff that you spray on it is for removing stickers and tint, it is in a white bottle in the wax and cleaner isle that might help to get it off. Maybe carefully using a heat gun on the lowest setting will help to unstick it. I don't really care for tint, I think of it as a thing for the cops to pull you over for, and I just think it looks weird, unless it is factory.
    That is my 2 cents.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Careful with the defroster- ruins very easily. I like tint and use legal slightly reflective (not dark-looking) tint by Llumar (Platinum Plaus, I believe). It keeps my car cooler and protects me from the sun's UV rays. I use it on every car- never been pulled over since it isn't dark-looking.

mtbr member

Nay

They are so 90's and are a real pain in the arsh when you are parked next them and can't see what's coming when you back out.

conjoinicorned
    egads, i didn't think i was so old skool

i love tinted windows, i feel a lot better when i put the bike in the back of the jeep also. i prefer the darkest gangsta tint i can get away with, i don't have any issues getting pulled over....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    In my state (Missouri), the only windows that are subject to tint laws are the front windows to either side of the driver and the windshield. The limit is 35%. Personally I have SunTec Infinity OP tint which is their full metal reflective tint. The tint is purely amazing, I have 35% on the front windows, and 20% on the back and rear windows. Its a reflective tint and reflects 89% of the heat from the sun so my car stays freakishly cool in the summer, I highly recommend it.

As for removing old tint from the defrosters, do NOT use a blade to scrap it off. When I removed my old tint I bought a tint removal kit from O'Reilly Auto for less than 10 bucks which came with a removal spray and a window scraper blade. I used the blade on the side windows, however when it came to the defrosters I called and asked my tint shop. They said to spray the removal stuff on it then take 0000 grade (finest) steel wool and rub it off. It worked perfectly! I think what I actually did was I carefully used the razor blade to peel a little bit up in the corner and peel it off the whole window however that leaves the adhesive behind... thus the removal spray stuff does the rest. Be PATIENT!!! This takes a long time!

Good luck to ya!
    - Rick

EDR
    I haven't seen a car without tinted windows in 20 years, but I live in AZ. You would have the darkest possible tint if you lived here as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    egads, i didn't think i was so old skool

i love tinted windows, i feel a lot better when i put the bike in the back of the jeep also. i prefer the darkest gangsta tint i can get away with, i don't have any issues getting pulled over....
    Oh yeah, gangsta tints. legal is 35.

On my truck i have %20 on drivers and %5 on the rest of the thing. pretty damn dark but looks good. I have not had a problem with them at all from when i got them at about Newyears.
    %5 in the back I can almost not read what type of sub i have from the outside and backing up at night is hard but gotta love the slidding rear window.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if i lived in a place where average daily summer high's were above 90, i would. otherwise, i like unobstructed clear views out my window

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    if i lived in a place where average daily summer high's were above 90, i would. otherwise, i like unobstructed clear views out my window
    90 is a cool day, hell 105 is cool day

WTF
    definatly....i have tint on my chevelle, it looks good..but then again, it is a 36 year old car and btw it is illegal, and i haven't had any issues getting pulled over (for the tinting at least )
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I haven't seen a car without tinted windows in 20 years, but I live in AZ. You would have the darkest possible tint if you lived here as well.
    So true man...I spent the past 2 years down in Artesia NM, and almost all the cars/trucks down there are tinted. I don't think its an issue of tint being old skool, but really what you need depending on your situation. In the southwest/west the sun just kills your interior, and having the tint keeps your interior from getting baked-out, and also makes things a lot cooler overall. I got my RX8's windows tinted while I was down there, but made sure to adhere to the Missouri laws, since I knew I was headed back there at some point. I am back in Missouri now, but have never considered removing the tint. Nice to know there are some options for taking it off though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The sun is pretty intense here in Colorado as well. I lived in Missouri for a while but at the time, they wanted me to take my tint off before they would pass my car (safety inspection) since I had moved from KS. I told them to basically F-off and used a buddy's address to register my car in KS and paid my money to KS instead. It was legal tint in Kansas at the time (35% all around).

When I say "moved" I mean I moved all of 4-5 miles across the border from KS to MO. I sure wasn't taking my tint off for anyone or anything. I hate being blasted by the summer sun with no protection and I was driving a lot at the time, putting 30K plus on my car annually.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Very true. The black tint looks nice on my white wrx, but in any case tint is good to have here.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I love tinted windows. I hate it when people can see me so clearly while I'm driving. Makes me nervous.

out of shape
    i have 15 percent tinted windows all around, its nice in the summer, and u people cant see you. sucks at night though, my next car id do a 30 percent tint

i think cars look alot cleaner tinted anyway, i bet you never noticed every car commecial and ad has tinted windows
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

Members who have read this thread: 0