Thule or Yakima- Mtbr.com

Thread: Thule or Yakima

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Thule or Yakima

I have a 07 4Runner with a 2 inch hitch. The Yakima racks are on sale right now but I keep hearing good things about Thule. Since I don't know anything when it comes to racks, anyone got any advice? I ride a Motolite and the girlfriend has a Fisher Wahoo. Ive been looking at the Thule T2 and the Yakima Fullswing but am willing to look at whatever. Only need to carry 2 bikes. Thanks for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Also my next bike will be a 29er and I've heard the T2 is not very good with 29ers. Any advice?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think the thule t2 and the Yakima hookup are fairly comparable. I have an FJ and was considering a roof rack but was advised to stick with a hitch mount rack. I think I am getting the thule.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love the T2 BUT I'm not sure if it will fit a 29er wheel. Please ask the guys on the 29er forum. It's a better designed rack than the Yakima equivalent though I don't know what the full-swing is. The T2 rules the other two but Yakima also makes good stuff. Thule has started to dominarte the market a bit over the last 3-4 years and pushed Yak out of many shops. I have a slight preference for Thule rakcs and roof setup but would happily use a yakima. I have owned several racks but the T2 is da bomb!

Calm Like a Bomb
    here's a review on 3 popular platform racks...yakima, saris, thule

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/hit...-rack-roundup/
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    I have the T2 and it will fit 29ers. With the Rampage the "arm" rubs the knobs through part of its arc but with a little omf it goes right over.

T2=great rack. One attribute it has that the Yakima does not is the parallelogram mechanism that allows you to fold the rack up with the simple release of a lever. no pins, tools, etc.

The T2 can also tilt down so that you can access your hatch/tailgate without taking the bikes off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the info. It looks like the T2 may be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is definitely a better design than the Yakima or the Saris. The Saris is probably built the toughest (my buddy has one) but the adjustability (of rack arms and of bikes) is terrible and the lowest part of the rack gets much closer to the ground on bumps, dips, and when going uphill. It also sticks out pretty far while the T2 stays much close to the car when folded up.

The T2 is the best overall and overcomes the fact (for me) that their support is average. If Saris designed their rack abit better, I'd prefer it (due to quality) over the T2.

Do not keep your T2 on and unwashed for more than a day if you have salt on the road in the winter. They corrode fast and there are many nooks and crannies for salt to get into.

mtbr member

if you can wait a few weeks...

Yakima has redesigned almost all of their hitchracks for next year and they should be available in January...the T2 is great but it's not without it's faults. If the hitch rack overhaul is anything like the cargobox overhaul Yakima did last year then Thule will be playing 'catchup' again. It's worth waiting a few weeks just to see what they come up with.

since 4/10/2009
    Either company makes top-notch stuff. I have noticed that Thule seems to have increased their market share in recent years thanks in no small part to their rack products that allow you to keep the front wheel on the bike (both roof and hitch products). I have Thule roof racks for my Honda and my wife's Jeep not so much because of any preference, but because I got a much better price on the Thule stuff than Yakima.

Meh
    I have a T2 and couldn't be happier, although I have no experience with the Yakima or Saris. My buddy rides a 29er and it does fit the big wheels although the the front arm only ratchets down a few clicks.

I wanted to chime in a response to a post regarding Thule's cs. I felt that one of the front arms was developing some play so I called Thule & they shipped out a replacement arm to me the next day, no questions asked, no need for a receipt or how long I had it, etc.

ZEN RIDER!

Thule T2

I have used several bike racks over the years and the T2 is by far the best & easy to use.
    I really dig not having to remove my tire every time I want to go for a ride. Throw your bikes on & go! Its worth the $$$
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do most people leave the rack on the car at all times? I live in central NC so we don't get a lot of snow and I don't have to worry about salt on the road. The reason I ask, is that I live on the 6th floor and really don't want to have to haul the rack up and down every time I ride. I do drive a lot for work. Probably about 800 mile per week and didn't know if having the rack on will kill my gas mileage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I leave it on- you can lock it to the hitch and I highly recommend that. It does little to the gas mileage, in my opinion- except for the added weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbage49
    Do most people leave the rack on the car at all times? I live in central NC so we don't get a lot of snow and I don't have to worry about salt on the road. The reason I ask, is that I live on the 6th floor and really don't want to have to haul the rack up and down every time I ride. I do drive a lot for work. Probably about 800 mile per week and didn't know if having the rack on will kill my gas mileage.

i leave the rack on. as for gas milage I doubt it will have a dramatic effect if its folded up on the rear. for security you can purchase the thule snugtite lock for about $30

Old Punk Hucker
    A friend of mine has removed his roof rack from his Yaris and is now able to do 50km more per tank, passing from 525km to 575km. I was impressed by the mileage difference so I thought it'd be good to share!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Roof racks do affect mileage more than hitch racks. Olus, a car like the Yaris will see that happen since it doesn't have much power and relies a lot on it's aerodynamics to get better mileage.

Put a roof rack with a deer on a Hummer or Crew Cab truck and your mileage may go up a bit

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. Looks like I'll be hoping for a T2 under the tree next week.

Single Speed Junkie
    T2 works fine for the 29er. Some tires are tighter than others, but have yet to find a tire combo yet that does not fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbage49
    Also my next bike will be a 29er and I've heard the T2 is not very good with 29ers. Any advice?
    The following from the Thule info page on the T2:
    "No wheel removal necessary; fits wheels 20-29 inches and tires up to 3-inches wide"

I may get one, but geeze the price...plus a 2" trailer hitch...

My next $grand$ was targeted for a single speed or 1X9 hardtail...maybe both then the two bike rack will make so much more sense!

Thanks MTBR!

Rez
    mtbr member
    People seem to forget that the T2 was not devolved by Thule. It was actually designed and marketed by Sportworks. Which actually was a better rack then the T2. Please don't give credit to Thule for an innovated design give them credit for being a huge corporation who can buy out the little guy.

My 2 cents

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/sportw...bike-rack.html
    Sportworks-Thule Racks Truckbed Bike Carriers - 501 Insta-Gater Truck Bike Rack
    What goes up must come down

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    True- it was a Sportworks design through and through. Sportworks sold the rights to that rack or something like that but they (Sportworks) still operate as a separate entity and focus on public transport racks and provide manufacturing for other companies.

Thule does have a great background in roof racks and boxes though, and a pretty solid one.

Members who have read this thread: 0