Thule vs. 1UP hitch rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Thule vs. 1UP hitch rack?

REI is having a sale this weekend on bike racks. Thule is on sale and recommended, but I also see a lot of 1UP hitch racks around, and those are not on sale of course. Insight? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Do a search. Lots of posts about both racks. I own both. Short answer: The Thule is more user friendly, but big and kinda ugly. Plus the two I own are rusty. The 1up is better looking (less of an eyesore on the back of the car) and made of aluminum (no rust). It's a little more of a process to get the bike on the 1up though (but not much more).

Like I said, numerous posts on both 1up and Thule.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    1Up comes off and folds in about 20 seconds so it doesn't have to live on the back of my car 24/7. That alone makes it 100x better than the Thule. Pull it off, toss it in back, done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It depends. If you prefer a rack that does not touch bike frame then 1up is still the best IMO with Kuat second. If you do not (plan to) own bikes with carbon frame then Thule is as good as many other racks are. Yakima, Kuat, Hollywood (best among inexpensive IMO) all make good racks.

mtbr member
    Like other's have said, a lot of companies make good racks. I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of them. I recently purchased a 1up Heavy Duty. I decided on 1up based on years of experience with other racks. I've had racks come and go in short order over the years, but I had (still have it) one that I purchased in 1998 that I used consistently until I bought the 1up recently. Why did the old 20+ year old rack last so long (which, BTW, cost a whopping $100 new)? It's made of 100% powder coated metal with the exception of foam covering the hooks that went over bike frames and plastic knobs on a couple of screws. At over 20 years old, that rack can still be used, although its design and functionality is pretty dated by today's standards. All other racks I've tried had components made of plastics of some variety. ALL of them weakened and failed at some point. Nature of the beast. Plastic fades, dries out, flexes, cracks, breaks. It is what it is. So, I chose the 1up because it is 100% plastic free aluminum and stainless steel.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    That's exactly what I want...something I can take off easily!! And not touching my bike, thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BunniBoi View Post
    1Up comes off and folds in about 20 seconds so it doesn't have to live on the back of my car 24/7. That alone makes it 100x better than the Thule. Pull it off, toss it in back, done.
    In all fairness, itís just as easy to remove a Thule. Both require lock removal (if youíre smart) and a tool to remove the rack. Both fold-up and are pulled from the car.

Edit: My Thule T2s donít touch the frame either. They have a hook over the front tire and at the rear wheel.

Like I said, I own both, and I prefer the 1up. Just sayin.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    In all fairness, itís just as easy to remove a Thule. Both require lock removal (if youíre smart) and a tool to remove the rack. Both fold-up and are pulled from the car.

Edit: My Thule T2s donít touch the frame either. They have a hook over the front tire and at the rear wheel.

Like I said, I own both, and I prefer the 1up. Just sayin.
    OK, thank you for this. Much appreciated.

All fat, all the time.
    The Thule racks on my truck are rusting from the inside.
    My 1up still looks like new.

Thule said their lifetime warranty doesn't cover cosmetic and I should take the rack off for the winter (I ride all winter too)

No comparison.
    1up is 100% better in every way

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I like the way the 1up secures the tires better on both ends and I like that, but I've been happy with my Thule T2 XT Pro for years.

mtbr member
    I've owned a Thule T2, 1up, and now Saris Superclamp. They all have strengths and weaknesses but to me the 1up is not worth the extra money or the ludicrous amount of praise it gets. I really like my Saris Superclamp, and the latest EX version has addressed my only quibbles with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BunniBoi View Post
    Every rack comes off the car easily, the 1up isn't really any different. I'm not about to store my rack in my trunk, that's ridiculous, so I put it in my garage where the folding feature has no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by kosulin View Post
    It depends. If you prefer a rack that does not touch bike frame then 1up is still the best IMO with Kuat second. If you do not (plan to) own bikes with carbon frame then Thule is as good as many other racks are. Yakima, Kuat, Hollywood (best among inexpensive IMO) all make good racks.
    Literally every bike rack company makes a rack that holds the bike by the wheels and does not touch the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I like the way the 1up secures the tires better on both ends and I like that, but I've been happy with my Thule T2 XT Pro for years.
    I actually find the way the 1up rack holds the bikes to be very disconcerting. It does not clamp the wheels tightly like my Saris Superclamp does which allows the bikes to wiggle around a bit during transport. The bikes obviously aren't going anywhere, but I prefer less movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    My 1up still looks like new.
    My buddy's 5 year old black 1up rack has the powdercoat flaking off of the trays and many seized bolts. It still works fine but hardly looks like new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I've owned a Thule T2, 1up, and now Saris Superclamp. They all have strengths and weaknesses but to me the 1up is not worth the extra money or the ludicrous amount of praise it gets. I really like my Saris Superclamp, and the latest EX version has addressed my only quibbles with it.

Every rack comes off the car easily, the 1up isn't really any different. I'm not about to store my rack in my trunk, that's ridiculous, so I put it in my garage where the folding feature has no benefit.

Literally every bike rack company makes a rack that holds the bike by the wheels and does not touch the frame.

I actually find the way the 1up rack holds the bikes to be very disconcerting. It does not clamp the wheels tightly like my Saris Superclamp does which allows the bikes to wiggle around a bit during transport. The bikes obviously aren't going anywhere, but I prefer less movement.

My buddy's 5 year old black 1up rack has the powdercoat flaking off of the trays and many seized bolts. It still works fine but hardly looks like new.
    I think the new ones are anodized, mine are at least. And I think they more than deserve their reputation. I too have had a bunch of racks and I doubt I'll ever buy anything but a 1Up.
    Yeti SB130 Turq X0
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have owned Thule, Saris, Performance, Yakima, and 1 up. They all eventually fell apart except the 1 ups. My racks stay on my car year round because I ride year round. All the plastic bits get brittle and ratcheting mechanisms on all but the one up get crusty and fail. Will only buy 1 ups from now on.

Shopping
    Jul 2018
    I couldnít be happier with my 1up. I have the single with an add-on. Allows me additional flexibility. Load and unload in seconds. Iíve never owned another rack, so I canít compare. I like the no touch feature as well. Zero regrets in purchasing this.

Thule vs. 1UP hitch rack?-120c4e17-d105-49ba-a814-aff9798103d2.jpg
    Thule vs. 1UP hitch rack?-25d794fb-2c38-434a-b4d4-e5db78a5d710.jpg
    Thule vs. 1UP hitch rack?-36803495-bbe2-4adb-bfaf-cfc89f2ed717.jpg
    Thule vs. 1UP hitch rack?-96e86a7c-e4b0-40bd-9948-d9fa82afff17.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I believe the 1up is the last rack I will ever own. Nothing touches the bike or the rims. There is nothing to break or rust. We bought the additional bolt on racks last year for a trip to carry 4 bikes. Very stable.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by b622r View Post
    I believe the 1up is the last rack I will ever own. Nothing touches the bike or the rims. There is nothing to break or rust. We bought the additional bolt on racks last year for a trip to carry 4 bikes. Very stable.
    pretty much this for me too...unless it gets hit in a collision, I can see this being it
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Perpetual Hack
    I just went through this.
    I also have the added bonus of being in Canada where things are not as easily available and are also just a little bit more expensive.

No sign of the new Thule rack yet.
    The new Inna does not seem to be available in Canada.
    So that leaves Saris and One-up.
    Neither is available in 1.25 in a double config.
    But, both are available in single with an add-on.
    Saris is but is over a grand canadian, it is also partially steel and heavy.
    1up is all aluminum, lighter and is also over a grand before tax.

I live in the rust-belt, so I pushed go and now have a 1up 1.25" Single with single add-on in black on order, and according to the wonders of the internet, I know it will be here on Tuesday.

good luck on your quest.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Waiting to gee what Thule brings with the ĎHelium Platformí rack. Iím happy with the Thule Pro XT but also looking for a single.

mtbr member
    My cheap $125 steel swagman is still going after 10 years. I replaced it with a kuat, which after about a year is also doing just fine. I dont see it not working suddenly a decade later either. I wouldnt have bought the kuat, but my swagman hooks dont properly fit modern bikes. Its a decade old, I cant fault it for that. A few years ago I had some surface rust and had to clean it up, but thats not asking for much every ~8 years.

The 1up is just so hideously ugly. It looks like a wheelchair holder, and its expensive. Since my cheapo swagman has lasted a decade, I dont see the 1up providing any durability benefit. Everyone makes a rack that doesnt touch the frame, so thats not really a feature anymore either.

If rust is that big of a concern, I totally understand, but short of that I'd pass on the 1up.