Thule Upright Bike Carriers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thule Upright Bike Carriers

Which one is the best/most popular?

I'm tired of removing my wheel with the Peloton.

Thanks.

code: mtbr2011
    i use the sidearm on my vehicle...for both road and mtn bikes. great rack, easy to load. this product is being replaced tomorrow with the 594xt...a slightly upgraded version of the 594

up until recently, we haven't carried the thule criterium, but recently got them in and put one out on display, and i gotta say, i'm pretty impressed. this is a better rack than the big mouth in my opinion and loads bikes easily. it also clamps down to the downtube.
    the 598 criterium also mounts to some factory xbars and aero bars without adapters....a big bonus

like most uprights, except the sidearm, i don't recommend using them with carbon/composite bike frames because of the amount of pressure put on the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    i use the sidearm on my vehicle...for both road and mtn bikes. great rack, easy to load. this product is being replaced tomorrow with the 594xt...a slightly upgraded version of the 594

up until recently, we haven't carried the thule criterium, but recently got them in and put one out on display, and i gotta say, i'm pretty impressed. this is a better rack than the big mouth in my opinion and loads bikes easily. it also clamps down to the downtube.
    the 598 criterium also mounts to some factory xbars and aero bars without adapters....a big bonus

like most uprights, except the sidearm, i don't recommend using them with carbon/composite bike frames because of the amount of pressure put on the frame.
    I had the Big Mouth a while back and ended up selling it to get the fork mount. The Big Mouth seemed bulky and not very sleek if that makes sense.

So would you recommend waiting and ordering the 594xt, or just going with the Criterium?

the 594xt is set to be released tomorrow, so i wouldn't let time influence your decision so much. we should have them in stock next week,and live on our site today.
    there are pros and cons to the sidearm, and one of them is security. a thief could realistically undo your quick release, and take your frame out of the rack, and then take your front wheel also, if they wanted, while the criterium actually locks the clamp to the frame - arguably a little safer.

loading/unloading the bikes is really easy. the sidearm is a little bit bulkier all around, while the criterium is a little bit sleeker designed.

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott! I'll likely go with the Criterium then. I appreciate the info. Cool to have someone that actually sales the items on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by js_paddle07
    I had the Big Mouth a while back and ended up selling it to get the fork mount. The Big Mouth seemed bulky and not very sleek if that makes sense.

So would you recommend waiting and ordering the 594xt, or just going with the Criterium?
    IMHO the sidearm is way more bulky looking than the big mouth, not sure what the new version looks like though. I think the current version is pretty unsightly when not in use, especially compared to the big mouth.

-Fly you fools!-
    To Scott;cracksandracks,

What were the major updates of the 594XT vs. 594? I can get non XT for a good deal and was wondering if its really worth getting one over the other.

Thanks,
    Scott
    '08 SC Nomad w/ DHX-C 5.0 & Lyrik U-turn

Planet Bike - East Brunswick, NJ - http://planetbikenj.com/

we got the 594xt in today...finally.
    the difference is this....the rack is designed now to work on most factory xbars, and aero bars without the xadapt9.
    this is a big improvement in the hardware, - but...if you want to straddle the towers on aero bars, you'll want to use the xadapt9.
    also, the ratchet arm is slightly longer to accomodate 29'er wheels.
    it's a nice rack...the hardware is a nice improvement...if you're mounting on thule square bars, then regular 594 is a great rack..it's what i have on my rig.
    hope that helps.

-Fly you fools!-
    Ok, I have a Thule square bars and a 26" wheel, so I guess I'll go with the old one. Thanks a lot for the help!
    '08 SC Nomad w/ DHX-C 5.0 & Lyrik U-turn

Planet Bike - East Brunswick, NJ - http://planetbikenj.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    also, the ratchet arm is slightly longer to accomodate 29'er wheels.

The 594 is already supposed to accomodate the 29ers... one of my friends has one with a Giant 29er... it does put up a fight.

so the xt will better accomodate 29ers. Is/Will the rachet arm be available separately to upgrade the older 594?

good deal scotty878...let us know if there is anything else we can do.

tednugent....i am sure you can purchase a separate upright, but i'd wait a while...the 594xt hasn't been fully distributed yet,and i don't believe you would find spare parts yet for the repacement 594xt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Would you please post pictures of the parts on the 594 and 594XT that make the difference?

Members who have read this thread: 0