Thule UpRide 599- Mtbr.com
    Turtle Rider
    Apr 2005

Thule UpRide 599

Hi everyone, I've done a search and couldn't find much so thought I'd create a new thread.

I'm looking at roof racks to carry a 29er and my preference is not to disassemble the bike or clamp the frame.

Thule looks like they have recently introduced a new rack called the UpRide 599.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/au/bike-...pride-_-599001

Does anyone know anything about it?

Gigantic Hawk
    I am buying two of these. I don't know much about them, but my gf just went to a Thule training seminar for their racks and said they look nice.

Turtle Rider
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I am buying two of these. I don't know much about them, but my gf just went to a Thule training seminar for their racks and said they look nice.
    Awesome. Keen to hear what you think of them once you have used them a couple of time

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very interested as well.

I need a roof rack this summer to complement my T2 hitch rack. It seems to me that the Sidearm model has been discontinued and replaced by the Upride. The Sidearm has disappeared from the Thule website.

Gigantic Hawk
    Had my first full weekend in with these racks. They worked very well during a windy and rainy ride down to NY and back from Maine. The two arms up front lock together which makes for a very solid and stable setup. The back is the traditional ratchet strap. I had these mounted on my Land Cruiser which put them up too high to be really practical, but until I get a custom rear bumper made, I can't use a hitch rack. These racks will be swapped over to my gf's Cherokee soon.

*When setting these up, make sure you swap over the front arms and rear ratchet to the correct side for loading before put them on your roof. Both front arms must be flipped for use on the left side of the vehicle.

Thule UpRide 599-img_20180427_194222703_hdr.jpg

From inside looking up through the sunroof.
    Thule UpRide 599-img_20180427_140254776_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Just wanted to add my recent experience -

These are great as far as locking the bikes down, but they were NOT compatible with the Subaru integrated cross bars. Kinda sucks because they are advertised to work with factory bars for Subaru. The screws bottom out before they tighten up. Ended up getting the Yakima Frontloaders instead... (bummer because I wanted to avoid Yakima...)

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by jackandrew View Post

These are great as far as locking the bikes down, but they were NOT compatible with the Subaru integrated cross bars. Kinda sucks because they are advertised to work with factory bars for Subaru. The screws bottom out before they tighten up. Ended up getting the Yakima Frontloaders instead... (bummer because I wanted to avoid Yakima...)
    Why not just put something between the rack and the cross bar to take up some space?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That might work... but the Outback is brand new and the rack is brand new, and I usually don't like macgyvering things if they're new. Plus the Yakima attachments fit like a glove.

All fat, all the time.
    I'd be curious how they hold up long term.
    I had to disassemble my sidearms to repaint due to rust.
    The Yakima load bar they are mounted to still looks new.
    I prefer Yakima as far as finish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Im calling user error on this.

I just installed mine on the Subaru factory cross bars and it fits perfectly. There are two positions for the C bracket (or whatever this part is called). The lower position for thick cross bars and the upper position for aero bars. The rack fits perfectly on the Subaru factory bars if you use the upper position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P. View Post
    Im calling user error on this.

I just installed mine on the Subaru factory cross bars and it fits perfectly. There are two positions for the C bracket (or whatever this part is called). The lower position for thick cross bars and the upper position for aero bars. The rack fits perfectly on the Subaru factory bars if you use the upper position.
    Glad it worked for you. I tried both positions and so did a guy at my local rack shop and we couldn't get it to clamp on safely - that's a lot of user error...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad it worked for you. I tried both positions and so did a guy at my local rack shop and we couldn't get it to clamp on safely - that's a lot of user error...
    Well, that's weird! I wonder if you got an early production model with a different C bracket or something... There is no way you two would have missed it.