Thule t2 and Yakima Hookup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Thule t2 and Yakima Hookup

do these racks work with a rear mounted spare? I have an fj cruiser with a rear mounted spare and want to know if a hitch rack would fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Probably not since they do come pretty close to the vehicle when folded up. Depending on the hitch mount and how far it is sticking out beyond the back of the car, it may just work. Howevr, it's hard for me to tell without looking at pics from the side. If your hitch is recessed, chances are it will not fit. If it sticks out 3-4 inches beyond the bumper, it may clear the spare tire.

If you don't mind the extra play and extra length sticking out, a hitch extension may do the trick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Flyer is right they do make hitch extentions if you need more clearance.

check your six
    The Thule T2 folds uppretty close to the rear of the car. I have a 4-runner, the hitch on the truck is dead even with the bumper, and with the rack folded up, there is not enough room for a rear mount spare tire.

The hitch extension is a pretty good idea. I might not do it on a T2 with the extra two bike rack. The regular T2 is pretty heavy, add on two more racks and might be too much.

Ehh... they make hitchs that can hold alot more than that though, you should be good.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    The T2 works without an extension if you have the factory standard tyre on the back...if you have a larger tyre it will be tight but still works if you fold the furthest arm out to the side and sand the tray down slightly. I've put them on lots of FJs and the only one I had a problem with was when the guy was running chunky tyres. As for the Hookup I don't know, I haven't sold too many of those...the T2 is superior in everyway, until the new Yakima version comes out in Jan that is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i have the t2 in my tacoma, and i can still open the tail gate with the bikes loaded. i cant open the gate if it's folded.....

mtbr member
    longman is right, the T2 allows for more adjustment. I have both the Hookup and the T2 and the T2 will fit on my FJ ( I run 35" BFGs), their is enough adjustment both front to back and side to side. Its a little tight while in the up position but it works and does not rub. I do not run an extension. I have the Hookup on my Jeep TJ with a 35" spare as well and need an 8" extension. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    I posted this question on another thread but his thread seems to be even more relevant. I have not seen the T2 in person. If I needed to extend it due to an oversized spare tire would it be possible to take it to a metal fab shop and have them weld on the exact length of extension I need. I figure this way would eliminate the extra play that I would expect from a standard hitch extension. Sorry for the repeat post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    I posted this question on another thread but his thread seems to be even more relevant. I have not seen the T2 in person. If I needed to extend it due to an oversized spare tire would it be possible to take it to a metal fab shop and have them weld on the exact length of extension I need. I figure this way would eliminate the extra play that I would expect from a standard hitch extension. Sorry for the repeat post.
    Couldn't you just cut an extension to the length you need and use your Thule Snug Tite hitch pin to eliminate the play?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfields4013
    Couldn't you just cut an extension to the length you need and use your Thule Snug Tite hitch pin to eliminate the play?
    NO, both pieces need a threaded insert and bolt

All hitch bike racks come with a threaded insert and a bolt to eliminate play, extensions usually do not. You would need to fix a threaded insert into the extension whether it is welded on or not. Yakima has there's a available as a spare part...it comes as a plastic insert with a square nut which slides in to the stinger, a bolt and saefty clip, part no 8780022 for around $12. It depends on the Thule rack you are using whether the Yakima insert will fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    NO, both pieces need a threaded insert and bolt

All hitch bike racks come with a threaded insert and a bolt to eliminate play, extensions usually do not. You would need to fix a threaded insert into the extension whether it is welded on or not. Yakima has there's a available as a spare part...it comes as a plastic insert with a square nut which slides in to the stinger, a bolt and saefty clip, part no 8780022 for around $12. It depends on the Thule rack you are using whether the Yakima insert will fit.
    So buy a threaded hitch pin for the extension. They are available as well.

mtbr member
    So buy a threaded hitch pin for the extension. They are available as well.

dude, you need something for the threaded hitch pin to thread in to...extensions come with a hole...no threads, I just explained this

mtbr member
    dude, you need something for the threaded hitch pin to thread in to...extensions come with a hole...no threads, I just explained this
    Dude, a threaded hitchpin comes with a nut AND an insert that goes inside the extension or receiver. Do a google search genius.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    nice work Einstein...that's what I described about 3 posts previous only the Yakima version costs $12. I don't need to do a google search thanks, you said a threaded pin, you didn't say a threaded pin with an insert.

what a todd

mtbr member
    Ahhh, come on man, you're hurting my feelings. I didn't say threaded hitch pin with insert because I should not have had to, sharp guy. If it didn't use an insert, it would be a bolt. I would like to see this Yakima version that you are talking about for $12 though. I have never seen one and can't find one online, other than one shown as included with a rack. Thule sells the snug tite for $39 retail so I am curious how Yakima can sell theirs for only $12. Unless, of course, you are only speaking of the insert.

what a d***

mtbr member
    Ahhh, come on man, you're hurting my feelings. I didn't say threaded hitch pin with insert because I should not have had to, sharp guy. If it didn't use an insert, it would be a bolt. I would like to see this Yakima version that you are talking about for $12 though. I have never seen one and can't find one online, other than one shown as included with a rack. Thule sells the snug tite for $39 retail so I am curious how Yakima can sell theirs for only $12. Unless, of course, you are only speaking of the insert.

what a d***
    whenever i am asked for am hitch extension for a bike rack, the customer NEVER understands that a bike hitch rack uses a bolt to take up the play and extensions are designed to use a pin. I was explaining this for the OP just in case he didn't know that too.

As for seeing the Yakima version...take your own advice and do a google search you stupid c**t. Do you think I just made up that part number?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    is the new and improved yakima hookup out yet? I heard they were replacing the original this year...

mtbr member
    whenever i am asked for am hitch extension for a bike rack, the customer NEVER understands that a bike hitch rack uses a bolt to take up the play and extensions are designed to use a pin. I was explaining this for the OP just in case he didn't know that too.

As for seeing the Yakima version...take your own advice and do a google search you stupid c**t. Do you think I just made up that part number?
    OK, first I want to aplologize to the OP for the thread-jack, but longman is trying to say something is not possible when it clearly is. I will say this and I will drop it on my end. Now, longman, did you look at the link with the pictures that I posted? If not, here it is again. Be sure to scroll down a bit:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200319807.htm

You state that receivers are only designed to use a pin but if you will open the link and look at it, this product is designed for extensions and receivers, not a bicycle rack. It has been tested at 16000 lbs, which is a bit heavier than your fixie.

You also state in your quote above that you were addressing the OP, telling him that your $12 yak gadget will only work with his rack and not a receiver, but you also told me previously that it will work with the receiver, just before you called me a todd. Which is it? My link uses an extension, that according to you, is not designed to work. Sounds like you have been giving your customers bad advice.

As for taking my own advice and googling your $12 yakima part #, I did. If I could find them for $12, I was going to order 2. I searched using several word strings, descriptions, and the part # to no avail. I did however see the whole assembly (pin, insert, small parts) shown as included with a rack but not listed seperately. I even called a friend of mine at the local Yak dealer last night, because again, I was going to buy 2. He had no idea what I was talking about for $12. He did, however, tell me that he could sell me a Thule Snug Tite for $39 or I could buy a threaded hitch pin for about the same price. Are you sure that $12 isn't dealer cost?

Oh, the stuid c**t comment was a nice touch. I don't think anyone has ever called me that before. Look, if you are going to argue with people and try to make them look stupid in online forums, you should be able to back it up with more than "because I said so" or "this is what I tell my customers".

mtbr member
    your Yakima Dealer friend seems to know as much about this sort of stuff as you do... here's the part diagram from the Yakima dealer website. Wholesale cost $5.

game over
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Come on longman, seriously, you can do better than this. Show us where this is available for $12 AND works with an extension, not the inside of a bike rack.

Do you read anything that you post? Through my whole argument, I have been stating that you can buy a threaded hitch pin that works with receivers and extensions. I know that bike racks come with them. You have said that they do not make them, then you said they do, then you said that you have to explain to your customers that extensions/receivers are not designed to work with anything other than a plain hitch pin, that only bike rack come with them.

Now you are saying, again, that this yakima product works with extensions/receivers. At least I think that is what you are saying this time... Otherwise, you wouldn't be carrying this on. From the looks of your diagram (that still shows no price), that is an insert for the stinger on a rack, not an extension/receiver.

I do not disagree that RACKS come with threaded pins and inserts. My rack HAS one. I am arguing because you are saying that they do not make a threaded pin that works with a RECEIVER and I have shown you a pic and a link to one that DOES! Then you say Yakima makes one for $12, that is obviously for the inside of the bike rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanyRocket
    is the new and improved yakima hookup out yet? I heard they were replacing the original this year...
    What are you doing seany? There is a perfectly good brawl going on here that you may have broken up. Sorry guys, as you were.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    sorry... i thought it was over.

Whos winning?

mtbr member
    I'm running a Yakima Hook Up on my FJC without too much trouble. The OEM spare tire(I have the Bridgestone Deullers) just clears the rear wheel tie-down strap/tray. It works if the strap is inserted into the tray and all the slack is taken out. An be aware that when folded it may partially block the license plate. Overall I'm happy with it. The T2 has the option to fold down and awat from the hitch which would give a litttle more tire clearance.

How do you like your FJ?

toby

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have only had it for about two months, but I am loving it so far. The gas mileage is killing me but its just so fun to drive!

Members who have read this thread: 0