Thule T2 or Yakima HoldUp?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thule T2 or Yakima HoldUp?

Looking for a hitch mount tray rack for 29er bikes. Which one of the two (or others) would you recommend?

thanks

code: mtbr2011
    the t2 does a better job on the 29er wheels.
    it has a longer ratchet than the holdup.

mtbr member
    I owned a Hold-Up for a while and really liked it, a lot more than my friend's T2. It was more stable and I felt that the cable lock that could go through the frame was a much better deterrent than the locking ratchet which only secured the front wheel, anyone who had the slightest bit of knowledge of the T2 would know just disconnect the front QR and you can take the bike. What I didn't like about the Hold-Up was that I left the rack tilted for several hours while camping so I could access a bunch of stuff in the back of my car, after that the pin to hold the rack up from the "tilted down" position kept backing out and the rack would just fall, risking dropping the bikes. Leaving it tilted must have softened up the spring. Not a huge deal, just don't leave it tilted down, I just wish they told you that ahead of time.

With all that said, I would go with a Kuat rack. I returned the Hold-Up after the aforementioned incident and got a Kuat NV, I love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good info...thanks!
    How long have you had the Kuat? Any probs with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    I owned a Hold-Up for a while and really liked it, a lot more than my friend's T2. It was more stable and I felt that the cable lock that could go through the frame was a much better deterrent than the locking ratchet which only secured the front wheel, anyone who had the slightest bit of knowledge of the T2 would know just disconnect the front QR and you can take the bike. What I didn't like about the Hold-Up was that I left the rack tilted for several hours while camping so I could access a bunch of stuff in the back of my car, after that the pin to hold the rack up from the "tilted down" position kept backing out and the rack would just fall, risking dropping the bikes. Leaving it tilted must have softened up the spring. Not a huge deal, just don't leave it tilted down, I just wish they told you that ahead of time.

With all that said, I would go with a Kuat rack. I returned the Hold-Up after the aforementioned incident and got a Kuat NV, I love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scolli
    Good info...thanks!
    How long have you had the Kuat? Any probs with it?
    I have only had it for a few weeks. The first NV I got was kind of a lemon, had a big dent in it, a lot of the steel hardware rusted within 2 weeks, the quick release didn't work well, but I think that was a fluke, because I got a replacement, and it's great, I love it. I also have only heard good reviews, so I'm giving Kuat the benefit of the doubt. The only thing I don't like about it is the lock, it's a cable lock, which I like, but it's not long enough. You can only fit it through one frame, not even a frame and a wheel. I have been using my Kryptonite lock and locking it to the hitch instead. The repair stand is really cool, I can think of a handful of times in the past year it would have come in handy, I haven't needed it in the couple weeks I had it though, I did use it to adjust my derailleur at home though just to try it out.

You could also look into the Kuat Sherpa, it's 10lbs lighter than the NV, works with both a 1.25" or 2" hitch (so if you got a new hitch you can use the same rack), doesn't have the stand and is $75 less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ended up buying the Kuat NV last Friday. Looks very well made. One plastic, cosmetic hole cover was broken. Emailed the company Saturday received a reply today at 8 am stating that a new + a spare will be shipped this afternoon. Good to know the company is so responsive.

Thanks to all for the advice.

mtbr member
    nevermind

mtbr member
    I have only had it for a few weeks. The first NV I got was kind of a lemon, had a big dent in it, a lot of the steel hardware rusted within 2 weeks, the quick release didn't work well, but I think that was a fluke, because I got a replacement, and it's great, I love it. I also have only heard good reviews, so I'm giving Kuat the benefit of the doubt. The only thing I don't like about it is the lock, it's a cable lock, which I like, but it's not long enough. You can only fit it through one frame, not even a frame and a wheel. I have been using my Kryptonite lock and locking it to the hitch instead. The repair stand is really cool, I can think of a handful of times in the past year it would have come in handy, I haven't needed it in the couple weeks I had it though, I did use it to adjust my derailleur at home though just to try it out.

You could also look into the Kuat Sherpa, it's 10lbs lighter than the NV, works with both a 1.25" or 2" hitch (so if you got a new hitch you can use the same rack), doesn't have the stand and is $75 less.
    steel hardware rusted within 2 weeks, quick release didn't work well, not happy with the lock? Yet you still support this product?
    I have both T2 and Holdup to me its really a toss up. I lean more towards the T2 because for some reason I can load my bikes faster on it. But other than that you won't be disappointed with either one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger
    steel hardware rusted within 2 weeks, quick release didn't work well, not happy with the lock? Yet you still support this product?
    I have both T2 and Holdup to me its really a toss up. I lean more towards the T2 because for some reason I can load my bikes faster on it. But other than that you won't be disappointed with either one.
    I got a replacement and it was flawless, seems like something went awry during the manufacturing of the first one, plus the box was beat to hell when I received it. I have read a lot of reviews of the NV and never found other complaints similar to mine. I'm confident saying it was an isolated issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I did a bunch of research, read all the reviews, and also coulod not decide. The 20 % off sale at Hucknroll is what sold me on the holdup. I recieved it yesterday. Its very nice, and I am happy with my choice so far.

mtbr member
    I got a replacement and it was flawless, seems like something went awry during the manufacturing of the first one, plus the box was beat to hell when I received it. I have read a lot of reviews of the NV and never found other complaints similar to mine. I'm confident saying it was an isolated issue.
    At least they stand behind their product unlike Thule. Good to know.
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 09-06-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    At least they stand behind their product unlike Thule. Good to know.
    if only that were a true statement...
    and coming from you no less

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    if only that were a true statement...
    and coming from you no less
    10 months later they finally stepped up Scott. And it was only cause you emailed them about my post on here. Why did you do that? So my post doesn't hurt your sales... I have a reason to complain about their products. Because you sell them, you'll obviously stand behind them. It's your business. It's how you make money.

And coming from you no less. Are all others that you don't sell a POS? Apparently. You're silly.

The rack rusting out on Dirthugger's rack sucks. I've been there too. But the difference of them taking care of him in 2 weeks opposed to Thule's 10 months is huge. Thanks for reminding me to stop in this forum more often. Ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 09-06-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Hubbard Bike Club

i helped you because i knew that i could get it done for you pretty easily because thule has an excellent warranty. the only thing in it for me was a little goodwill. if the thule rack you have is such a pos, then why did you flail around for 10 months trying to get a replacement?

i have no experience with kuat products, but will likely meet with them at interbike, if i go. i would consider carrying their products, but i don't have a huge store and a ton of storage, so i have to be careful about what i carry.

educated consumers make their buying decisions based on information they get thru online forums like this, reading product reviews and talking to their friends. your "thule sucks thread" is only 1 small piece of the whole puzzle, and it's pretty clear that your experience is not consistent with others.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    10 months later they finally stepped up Scott. And it was only cause you emailed them about my post on here. Why did you do that? So my post doesn't hurt your sales... I have a reason to complain about their products. Because you sell them, you'll obviously stand behind them. It's your business. It's how you make money.

And coming from you no less. Are all others that you don't sell a POS? Apparently. You're silly.

The rack rusting out on Dirthugger's rack sucks. I've been there too. But the difference of them taking care of him in 2 weeks opposed to Thule's 10 months is huge. Thanks for reminding me to stop in this forum more often. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    if the thule rack you have is such a pos, then why did you flail around for 10 months trying to get a replacement?
    So I could sell it and make up for my losses. It worked. I'm getting the KUAT w/shipping for what I sold the POS Thule for. (I work at a LBS)

When I told some people at Hubbard (60+ riders every Thursnight) that I had a brand new rack for sale, they all said the same thing. "I know, I saw your post." Not all 60 riders, but about 15 or so. Since the locals know not to buy it, Craigslist worked out for me.

That's it. Nothing more. Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    I had Thule t2 wasn't too crazy about it either, too much plastic and I could force the ratchet arms open easily without hitting the release. I still use my older cycle on it's heavy but solid, for the rear wheel it has a mini ratchet arm to hold the wheel no cheap straps. Swagman is actually pretty good for a cheap rack all metal no plastic, light, carries 2 to 4 bikes easy, folds up small. That kuat one I never used but I can tell all that plastic, especialy were the wheel trays meet the rack is gonna be cracking sooner or later that's an area that should be stronger. the Sherpa looks better, metal in that area IMO...

mtbr member
    Thule T2 isn't that good of a rack. Mine has some rust spots on it even though i'm constantly spraying Rust Oleum on it to inhibit rust. The locking mechanism is a JOKE. And, the wheel tray for one of the bikes touches my bumper when folded up. This is used with an aftermarket hitch, like 90% of the users in this forum.
    RH SL Pro

Members who have read this thread: 0