Thule T2 very hard to fold up. Anyone else?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Thule T2 very hard to fold up. Anyone else?

Hi-

We've had the Thule T2 (2") on my wife's van for several years. We like the rack, however opening and closing it is often a pain. When you lift the release lever, the rectangular "pin" that locks the trays into the up or down position does not always clear the slot its in. More often than not, the pin comes up at a slight angle, so one side clears the slot, but the other does not.

To work around this I have to grab the pin and try to square it up. This is a HUGE pain in the ass. Even when I'm grabbing the pin, it can take a few tries to clear the slots, and I end up tweaking my back (because I go to lift or drop the tray, and it gets stuck).

We've taken it to RackAttack where we purchased it several times for the years we've owned it, and they just lube it and call it done.

I'm sure others have run into this issue. How have you solved it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This is not an unheard of issue. I have found that hitting it with oil from time to time helps, and when engaging the lever while rocking the rack fore/aft helps move the pin a bit more readily. It seems the pin binds sometimes on the notch in either position, so giving the platform a shimmy to break the bind seems to help.

Your Best Friend
    Yep, have to rock it a bit as you pull the lever. The T2 is a fairly sloppy rack and if you off road with it, it only gets worse. Thule tells you that this rack is not off road capable. Fyi.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How is it you go through the effort of sizing a square pin, but you let it tilt when it lifts up? You'd think they could make a lever that lifts the pin with two contact points... or at least wider than it already is.

code: mtbr2011
    one consideration you have to look at is if your 1st bike tray is overlapping the slot where the gray lever is able to pull back. We have seen this problem and it was the result of the closest bike tray not allowing the gray handled lever from fully extending towards you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    one consideration you have to look at is if your 1st bike tray is overlapping the slot where the gray lever is able to pull back. We have seen this problem and it was the result of the closest bike tray not allowing the gray handled lever from fully extending towards you.
    Thanks for the note. No issues there. It's simply that the pin slides up at an angle instead of sliding squarely. I've tried rocking it and that does not help.

Sometimes I get lucky and get it on the first try, but I dread trying to open or raise this rack.