THULE T2 - tilt with 4 bikes- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

THULE T2 - tilt with 4 bikes

Is anyone out there using the thule t2 with the add-on? Can you still tilt down the rack with 4 bikes (to access the rear cargo)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yep works fine just heavy
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Please post pics of your 4 bike T2s.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Please post pics of your 4 bike T2s.
    5 bike T2!

4 bike T2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What is with your front wheel cradles? They don't look like the cradles on my T2. Is yours an older T2 or something?

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    What is with your front wheel cradles? They don't look like the cradles on my T2. Is yours an older T2 or something?
    It's a Sportworks T2. Thule acquired Sportworks a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    To bad, because it looks sturdier that my new T2. It arrived today by the way and I put it together, I had issues.

I couldn't turn the nut on the bolt (the instructions said to remove) with the included tools. So I used my own tools and it was still a struggle, but I got it off. When I lined up the bracket (closest to the vehicle) to the white lines of the decal under the main tube, per the instructions, the release lever would hit it. So I couldn't tilt the rack. Apparently the decal was not in the correct place, not to mention that it is already tearing from moving the brackets into position.

I guess the "Made in America" stamped on the box means quality assurance is out the window. I emailed Thule, we shall see what they have to say.

fried stuff with cheese
    Here is the Thule version.

It is VERY heavy. On a trip from NH to OH with three bikes and a full load I bottomed out my rear suspension on a frost heave. Had to replace the rear shocks. It could be more an issue with my car (2003 Pathfinder) but even with just the two bike setup and two bikes with no load the weight sags the rear of my vehicle pretty bad.
    If it weren't for the weight issue I would be 100% happy with it.

One other thing...when it's set up for four bikes the rack is almost 6' off the back of the car (at the end of the rack). Again, this could be vehicle specific as the hitch on my Pathfinder sticks out pretty far to clear the spare tire. I've seen others where the hitch is flush with their rear bumper or even under the bumper and it doesn't seem as bad.

Egg

Members who have read this thread: 0