Thule T2 Snowboard?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Thule T2 Snowboard?

Has anyone rigged their T2 to carry snowboards?

code: mtbr2011
    i'd love to see it if someone has.

i suppose you could modify the Thule 575 Snowboard carrier to attach directly into the rails of one of the bike trays.

Bandolero

Slip Kid

Quote Originally Posted by slimat99
    Has anyone rigged their T2 to carry snowboards?
    That'll work well driving up a wet/slick/salted/graveled ski resort road. And if you manage to slide around a bit, you'll wreck your boards and your bike rack in one fell swoop. Living in NM, our ski/bike seasons overlap but I'll take my rack off if I'm driving to a ski resort.

I prefer a enclosed container like the Rocketbox.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm in CO and most people don't realize it, but like NM, we have year round riding too so my T2 is always on my car. I would prefer to not put anything on my roof as it cuts into your mpg. I ride at least once a week through the winter so I don't want to remove and reinstall the t2 for a dedicated snowboard rack. I'm not too worried about rear end crashes in the mountains. Unlike NM, people in CO know how to drive in the snow.

Bandolero
    I'm in CO and most people don't realize it, but like NM, we have year round riding too so my T2 is always on my car. I would prefer to not put anything on my roof as it cuts into your mpg. I ride at least once a week through the winter so I don't want to remove and reinstall the t2 for a dedicated snowboard rack. I'm not too worried about rear end crashes in the mountains. Unlike NM, people in CO know how to drive in the snow.
    I used to live in Fort Collins, so I'm a bit knowledgeable about the conditions... It just doesn't get as cold here. Sadly our high country was snowed in last week with about 21" at the top of Sandia.

I would take offense from the NM swipe except I had a head-on collision last year with a Jeep Liberty. Clear road, no other traffic and I even managed to get slightly off-road to the right before the jackass hit me.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Bummer on the crash. No need to take offense on the NM dig, just a joke. I love Angle Fire, and Taos in spite of all the Texans that truly can't drive in the snow!

Do you think the thule 575 would fit the T2 bars?

regardless of where you live, if you put your skis and boards on the rear of the car during the winter, they're gonna be a mess.
    the op's request to have his t2 converted to a ski/snowboard carrier is valid, even though it would be a diy mod, and not necessarily my personal first choice.

while we recommend the roof for carrying ski/snowboard equipment as a first choice, it's not always realistic for people to do so...it just depends on their current rack configuration and budget.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    cracks and racks, do you think the 575 snowboard carrier would fit the t2 bars?

cracks and racks, do you think the 575 snowboard carrier would fit the t2 bars?
    the mounting hardware on the 575 is 4" apart. so, yes, i think it will clamp around the t2 trays, but you will need to find some longer bolts, since the bolts that come with the 575 aren't going to be long enough.
    i'd probably remove parts of the bike rack that I wasn't using.

here's an example of a job we did with a ski rack on the roll bars of a jeep wrangler...
    similar concept.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule T2 Snowboard?-fat-cat-wrangler-1.jpg  

Thule T2 Snowboard?-fat-cat-wrangler-2.jpg  

Thule T2 Snowboard?-fat-cat-wrangler-4.jpg  

Thule T2 Snowboard?-fat-cat-wrangler-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for posting pics! Yeah, I was thinking I would have to remove parts on the t2 to rig something and that kind of defeats the purpose. I would like an easy way to keep the t2 bike ready at all times while allowing me to carry snowboards. I know, wishful thinking, but maybe I can rig the 575 without removing anything on the rack? Also, to address the dirty snowboard in the back issue, I was hoping I would be able to put the rack in it's upright position to protect the boards from rd nastiness. They would still get dirty, but not as bad. We'll see if any of this is possible?

actually, since the bike tray rail on the t2 is square, having the rack folded upright would be a great idea. that way the bike tray wouldn't interfere, and the rack would likely sit a little higher than the base of the hook arm.

even if you had to remove the snowboard rack when carrying bikes, it could probably be done in about 2 minutes once you have the hardware completed.

Members who have read this thread: 1