Thule T2 security- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Thule T2 security

I just got a T2 (awesome rack) and was wondering how most people secure the rack to the car and the bikes to the rack. I have read some post that say the locks you buy from Thule don't really work that well. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I drilled mine out a bit so I could use a locking hitch pin. I also use a draw bar extension, so I lock the rack to the extension and then the extension to the receiver. I use the Thule locks as well as using cable locks to lock the bikes to the rack. Finally, I have my lab rottie mix sit in the Jeep while I run in for a pizza. Lots of visual deterence. That being said, it;s probably still really easy to steal the bikes, so I rarely let it out of site...

mtbr member

snug tite lock...

the snug tite lock for $39 can lock the rack to the car, but the locks that go in the ratcheting arms are useless...let the tire down, open the qr and the bike can be removed. I use a 15ft cable if I'm leaving bikes on there and loop it through the hitch under the car, it's long enough to go through each wheel and frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Since I don't have a lab/rottie mix I think I will try the Snug Tite and a cable. Is a 15 foot cable long enough for two bikes to be locked?

mtbr member

Carefully...

I used the [useless] locks on the arm also have the lock that secures the rack to the hitch. The bolt that locks the rack to the hitch, for some reason, is 3 inches longer than it would otherwise need to be, which comes in very handy. I pass a cable with looped ends around the frame and through one of the loops. The free loop goes over the shaft of the bolt securing the rack to the hitch...also works as a backup while driving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wrench
    I drilled mine out a bit so I could use a locking hitch pin. I also use a draw bar extension, so I lock the rack to the extension and then the extension to the receiver. I use the Thule locks as well as using cable locks to lock the bikes to the rack. Finally, I have my lab rottie mix sit in the Jeep while I run in for a pizza. Lots of visual deterence. That being said, it;s probably still really easy to steal the bikes, so I rarely let it out of site...
    That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work. Why not just chain the rottweiler to the bike?
    To the troll mobile, away...

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I'm planning on buying a hitch/T2 in a few months. I'm prolly going to pass on the thule locks and get a long cable lock.. along with a hitch bolt. Maybe 2 cable locks if I feel the need..
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd hate for her to feel restrained...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbage49
    I just got a T2 (awesome rack) and was wondering how most people secure the rack to the car and the bikes to the rack. I have read some post that say the locks you buy from Thule don't really work that well. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    For locking the Thule T2 to the hitch, the Snug-Tite that Thule sells works fine. It uses a small key to easily lock/unlock for removal. I feel perfectly safe using this. Granted, if you didn't have a lock on the hitch, you simply need a wrench and a pickup truck for a quick getaway. When I think of it, you really would have to want it badly to go through the trouble. The rack is NOT light.

For locking the bikes to the rack, the removable lock cylinders are worthless. As mentioned by the previous responses, all you have to do is remove the QR and pull the fork off the front wheel and voila! The whole bike is gone! Never leave your bike unattended on the rack. I made the mistake and paid $20 for the locks. What a waste of money!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I bought the snug tite lock and a 10 ft cable lock. I've never had to lock my bike since I keep it indoors. Do you just run the cable through the wheel, around the frame and then around the hitch?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I would use two cable locks, lock the bikes together and to the rack if possible. Then lock one bike to the rack and to the frame under the vehicle.

Best deterrent is not leaving the bike alone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I use the snugtite lock to lock the T2 to the hitch. For bike to rack security, I use three lock types: (1) Thule core locks for the swingarm (yes, mostly useless, but may frustrate opportunistic thieves; (2) Kryptonite NY chain lock to lock the two bikes together through the frame and rear tires if two bikes are on the rack; (3) 10-ft cable lock that goes through all wheels and frames of both bikes and under the rack. This set-up lets me piss in a rest stop with only mild urgency. Having multiple lock types at the same time makes it harder for opportunistic thieves. And there's not much you can do against dedicated thieves.

Members who have read this thread: 2