Thule T2 Pro XT Owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners

Iím looking at picking up a Thule T2 Pro XT and am looking for feedback from current owners. Have you been happy with the rack? Any issues with the design, function, or durability? One thing Iíve seen in a couple personal reviews is that the rack sits crooked in the hitch. Most reviews donít mention this, so Iím wondering if this is a rare problem, or perhaps due to user error.

I prefer the design of the Thule, but would also consider the Kuat NV 2.0 if thereís a good reason for it. I know there are a ton of people who love the One Up rack, but itís just not for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like the Thule T2 Pro XT, the rack is super robust, fits my Fat Bike, 29'er and gravel bike without issue and even adjust for my kids 20". The outboard handle alone will make you happy you bought it.

The only draw back is weight but thta's what makes it robust. As far as the tilting i believe that is hitch dependent. Mine looks fine on my wifes SUV but does tilt slightly on my pickup but nothing i'm worried about.

mtbr member
    Mine sits square in the hitch too. I use it for everything from 4" fat bikes and 29+ wheels, to 26" mtbs and it's been great with all of them. The fact you can easily re-position the rear wheel strap as the wheel size changes makes it very versatile, and there's enough space to run 2 fat bikes without any problems.

The only drawback is it didn't survive being backed into a large light pole. But I like it enough to buy another one.

Tim

G_T
    mtbr member
    I've had one for a year, and really like it. The only negative I can think of is the weight, but it's not that difficult to manage. I have not used other racks to offer a comparison, but I am guessing that I will not have to buy anything else for a long time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have had mine for several years and I like it a lot. For the weight and for storage I picked up the Hollywood Racks Valet. The hole does not line up with the clamp thing but it makes no difference. I have seen folks drill another hole. I've never see the need to do that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I didn't do a lot of research before buying mine but I read the reviews from this site:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...hule-t2-pro-xt

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...field=#compare

Only had a it a short time but here are my thoughts:

-Slightly higher off the ground than my previous tray style hitch rack
    -Longer than my previous tray style rack
    -Heavy and big (this is a very common issue) so if you need to store it off the vehicle, make sure you have space for the rack somewhere.
    -Cable locks are a nice feature but not really necessary, would forego this for a lesser price and lighter weight rack.
    -Have not had to adjust the spacing yet but wish it was tool free, who knows I may never need to adjust it, the spacing is pretty good and I haven't had issues with interference yet.

As someone mentioned sitting crooked is likely a hitch thing, it would be difficult for the hitch to be perfectly true along with frame of the vehicle where it is mounted to.

Overall happy with it, I did get it on sale, so that kind of helps, probably would not have paid retail for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I've been using my for a couple years now, and I don't really have any complaints. It's sturdy, easily accomodates 24" to 29" wheels, and I personally really appreciate that it has the built-in locks. The part I appreciate the most is how quickly it can be put on my car and then taken off again. I thought I would be turned off by the weight, but it really isn't a factor.

I do appreciate that the Kuat has the built-in bike repair stand, but all the other features of the Thule T2 Pro XT win out for me.

mtbr member
    I have had mine for a couple months now and really like it. It is simple and robust. I really like the retracting cable locks too. I wouldn't rely on them for overnight protection but it keeps the honest people honest if you stop for lunch after a ride. Also, the tilt handle is an awesome design as well. Tilting the bikes back to open the rear hatch of a SUV or folding the rack up after unloading the bikes takes seconds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I have had mine for a couple months now as well and really like it. It is simple and robust. I really like the retracting cable locks as well. I wouldn't rely on them for overnight protection but it keeps the honest people honest if you stop for lunch after a ride. Also, the tilt handle is an awesome design as well. Tilting the bikes back to open the rear hatch of a SUV or folding the rack up after unloading the bikes takes seconds.
    Totally forgot about the tilt feature when I posted earlier. I agree - its fantastic and really easy to use. I also agree on your feedback regarding the built-in locks - I wouldn't rely on them to lock the bike overnight, but they are sufficient for a food stop after a ride. I've even relied on them to lock my bike for the workday, but it isn't a place I worry about theft.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I've had mine for about a year. No major complaints. It's definitely solid and sturdy. Built in cable lock is pretty cool. Won't stop a prepared thief though. I weave a second much thicker cable if I'm traveling. It sits the bikes up high so the exhaust is not really close to the wheels. No problems with fit or unevenness. The rack also works well in all kinds of weather. I had to lift it up and down covered in snow and it was totally fine. The biggest draw back is the weight and size. Taking it off is more or less easy but with a bad back I am concerned moving it. I usually it is on an old skateboard and roll it into the garage. I don't have a big garage so that doesn't help. Usually the rack stays on 24/7. It makes getting to the rear hatch a little annoying having to lift down the rack, but not a big deal. I use the backdoors most of the time. Watch out for foot activated tailgates and also accidentally pressing the tailgate button if your car is new. I imagine bad scratches would easily happen. Nice rack overall. Kind of overpriced IMO.

mtbr member
    It is priced right there with everything else but I would say that racks in general are over priced.

mtbr member
    I've just returned from a 1,500 mile round trip using the rack. While I set it up so the rear wheel "cup" on both bikes sits directly under the rear axle, when I checked it after about 400 miles the cup had slid towards the front of the bike a good 4" or more.

This put a lot of angular pressure on the wheel strap and the teeth that hold the strap in place as the wheel rotates up and away from its starting position, to the point that the teeth were worn down. I stopped this happening by placing a voile strap around the cross bar in front of the strap so it couldn't slide forward as easily.

This hasn't happened on shorter trips.

Tim
    Last edited by Wombat; 03-29-2020 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Good to know - thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlong724 View Post
    Iím looking at picking up a Thule T2 Pro XT and am looking for feedback from current owners. Have you been happy with the rack? Any issues with the design, function, or durability? One thing Iíve seen in a couple personal reviews is that the rack sits crooked in the hitch. Most reviews donít mention this, so Iím wondering if this is a rare problem, or perhaps due to user error.

I prefer the design of the Thule, but would also consider the Kuat NV 2.0 if thereís a good reason for it. I know there are a ton of people who love the One Up rack, but itís just not for me.
    Have you decided between the two? I'm currently in the same position you were in back in January.

After reading up on these two models, I like both equally minus one factor on each. The NV 2.0's release lever being on the inner part of the rack seems to be a big disadvantage to the XT Pro's external handle. But the lack of a hitch lock on the XT Pro is sort of a concern for me after reading many posts of Thule hitch racks being stolen, yet not many stories of stolen Kuat racks. Before I continue, I do realize that no rack is safe from those who are equipped with the tools to bypass any lock available on the market, but I would like something a bit more substantial than the internal wedge playing the part of a security lock.

Is there any way to add a lock (or locks) to the XT Pro and hitch to add at least one form of deterrence for thieves?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have this rack and for many years. I have never thought of the hitch locking mechanism as a problem. Where can I read about this being a problem?

If there is concern you can easily run a cable lock from your car hitch to several areas on the rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JediSith View Post
    I have this rack and for many years. I have never thought of the hitch locking mechanism as a problem. Where can I read about this being a problem?

If there is concern you can easily run a cable lock from your car hitch to several areas on the rack.
    https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...itch-rack.html

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...e-locks.10058/

There were a couple other articles I came across as well. I'm probably being more paranoid than I need to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Oh wow. Looks like the Thule rack only has a hole on one side where the safety clamp goes. Does not seem like a lock pin can go through.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JediSith View Post
    Oh wow. Looks like the Thule rack only has a hole on one side where the safety clamp goes. Does not seem like a lock pin can go through.
    Yeah. Some discussion boards have said they put a third party pin through it, but based on Pro XT videos, I've never seen a hole on the other side, so I'm not sure if they're talking about the T2 Classic rack. And since stores aren't open, I'm unable to see any of these racks in person, which is why I'm asking on these threads.

I'm also wondering about that spring loaded pin on the Pro XT that slides into the hitch receiver... is the only function to prevent the rack from slipping out of the receiver? It's not a lock of any kind, correct?

(Sorry for the barrage of questions. As I've mentioned, not being able to see these in person makes it a bit tricky; I don't want to order something online and be surprised or disappointed by anything when I receive it. I'd rather have all the info I need and make one purchase if possible.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana2Rice View Post
    I'm also wondering about that spring loaded pin on the Pro XT that slides into the hitch receiver... is the only function to prevent the rack from slipping out of the receiver? It's not a lock of any kind, correct?
    You're right, the spring loaded pin is only a safety device, it's not a lock.

The lock is part of the wedge in the stinger that sits in the receiver. You tighten it with a knob at the rear to remove all movement. Once it tight you turn the key to lock the knob and it then just spins. Various people have reported that this isn't very secure.

Tim

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    You're right, the spring loaded pin is only a safety device, it's not a lock.

The lock is part of the wedge in the stinger that sits in the receiver. You tighten it with a knob at the rear to remove all movement. Once it tight you turn the key to lock the knob and it then just spins. Various people have reported that this isn't very secure.

Tim
    This was the first thing that alerted me to the possibility of getting these T2 Pro XT racks stolen. You can start from the 4:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DM0JkyNicc&t=659s

Just throwing that out there for anyone else who may be in the market for these racks. I'll probably end up still getting the Pro XT and just hope for the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana2Rice View Post
    This was the first thing that alerted me to the possibility of getting these T2 Pro XT racks stolen. You can start from the 4:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DM0JkyNicc&t=659s

Just throwing that out there for anyone else who may be in the market for these racks. I'll probably end up still getting the Pro XT and just hope for the best.

Got a spare U lock sitting around? (a thick chain/lock works too)
    ... I've got 3 or 4 of them and several thick Kryptonite cables too.

as a bonus, mounting on the pin side it also holds the safety pin in the hole.
    You can put one on each side if you're really concerned.

I usually stow my Thule hidden under the BakFlip hard tonneau cover,
    where I have a BedRug liner, locked tailgate and alarm armed when not in use.

I used to just haul my Fatty's hanging over the tailgate with a padded blanket for short trips,
    but needed a solution for Wifey's Volvo XC60 when we take longer road trips to the mountains.

Picked up the Thule T2 XTB Pro on sale and just need to mount a 2" receiver on the Volvo next.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200517_095256%5B1%5D.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200517_095314%5B1%5D.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200517_094948%5B1%5D.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200604_194818%5B1%5D.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200604_194745%5B1%5D.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-trek-load-3.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-thule.jpg  

Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7
    Blue Smoke 9.6 Viper Red 7

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have a 1.25 inch hitch on my car and a 2 inch hitch on my van. I know that Thule doesnít include a sleeve to fit the 1.25 inch shank T2 Pro XT in a 2 inch hitch. It would be great to be able to drive to the trail in either vehicle. What do you guys use as an adapter? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'll add some negatives just for some fairness. I had the original rack that came standard with tray that fit road --> real fat tires. In july the rack will/would have been 4 years old.

Positives: rack is super easy to use. Takes no time at all to throw the bike on there and get it secure. I love that I can throw my HT on one day, road bike the next, and fat bike the day after and I don't need to do anything. So ease of use is as good as it gets. Also, the handle and ease of lowering/lifting the rack is really good. Being able to tilt the rack down with bikes on so I can lift the hatch of my SUV was a huge selling point and has been a feature I can't live without.

Negatives:
    - The handle to lower/lift the rack is plastic and connected to the metal interior piece with plastic. Mine broke off in my hand within 6 months. Wasn't a great time for that to happen either. Ended up having some students at my school cob together a metal bar as a replacement and that worked the rest of the time.
    - Depending on bikes, I've had an issue with a couple different friends where we had to lower seats to make bikes fit. Nobody likes to mess around with their seat height so this ends up being kind of a PIA.

- Multiple parts of my rack started showing signs of rust and deterioration within a couple years. Within the last year I noticed some concerning rust on the bar that holds the front wheel down. Went to use the handle to tilt rack up towards vehicle after putting some stuff inside SUV, one of the internal metal pieces in the stinger assembly near the joint was spot welded, the spot weld failed and broke apart. After realizing what happened and then looking at the internals a little more, there were a ton of pieces that were corroded and seemingly going to fail at some point too.

Luckily Thule replaced the rack, literally last Friday but my replacement rack is out of stock until the end of June. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the rack and get a 1up because I think it will last longer. I also like how the racks are staggered so you don't end up with bikes hitting each other.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    [QUOTE=CanuckMountainMan;14792883]Got a spare U lock sitting around? (a thick chain/lock works too)

I've seen your setup on a couple other forums, and I think it's perfect. My hitch receiver sits a few inches deep on my Odyssey, so I'm not sure a U-lock will fit, but I do plan on getting a chain lock to serve the same purpose.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Draw-Tite 2" Class III receiver hitch (model 76116) on amazon for $200 for the Volvo
    and finally got it installed (thanks to youtube!) it fits the Thule perfect, just clearing the tire baskets when stowed upright,
    and the Volvo's hatch clears the Farley's wide handlebars by about 8" when the rack is in the tilted down position.

YouTube Vid: https://youtu.be/SAEeFFl9f6w

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200620_095330%5B1%5D.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200620_111543%5B1%5D.jpg  

Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200620_135342%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by CanuckMountainMan; 06-22-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7
    Blue Smoke 9.6 Viper Red 7

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    Got a spare U lock sitting around? (a thick chain/lock works too)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post

as a bonus, mounting on the pin side it also holds the safety pin in the hole.
    You can put one on each side if you're really concerned.
    What Kryptonite Lock is that?

Just got my T2 pro setup today, I want to copy your setup.

edit: https://www.kryptonitelock.com/conte...l?type=bicycle

If the one attached is the same as the "Keeper" below then maybe this will work for my setup too:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-3024-4032-max.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wondering if any owners have the 1 ľ" version. That is what I currently have but looking to buy a vehicle that has a 2" hitch. Is it possible to use this rack on a some type of adaptor?

I noticed this was asked previously.
    Last edited by Big Slick; 08-06-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Duplicate question

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I noticed this piece today. Those with the T2 Pro XT, is this normal? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-0d6a1263-a559-40e2-b619-839dda2f3fcb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's not normal but I have seen it happen if the knob is loosened all the way. Did you try tightening the knob a few turns and tucking it back in?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I would say that piece is broken and needs replacing. I have the same rack but never had the issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Thanks for the responses. I took that piece out and it doesn't seem to be broken... but pretty bent. I am able to bend it back but fear breaking it if I do it too much. Does anyone know what that piece is called? I'd just buy a new one but have no idea what it is called. I send a pic to Thule but auto response said we will get back to you in 10-12 business days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Here is a picture of my rack. The piece is very light duty plastic. As you observed, it does look as it it is all there. It appears to be just a retainer to keep the threaded shaft in position when the rack is not installed. I would just shove it back in and see what happens.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule T2 Pro XT Owners-20200914_102538.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Jim - thank you for the pic. I tried shoving it back in there but it bends back. It seems like it's been bent for quite some time. I may take a heat gun to soften it up, straighten it out, and put it in a vice grip. I just wish I could find that replacement piece! I'm OCD and it annoys me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Did you try putting it back in the other way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Nope. I just bent it back as best as I could and left it alone. Iíll keep an eye on it. Hopefully Thule will reply with a part number or just send me a new one if theyíre feeling generous.