Thule T2 Locking Options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thule T2 Locking Options

Just installed a T2 and would like to be able to securely lock the rack to the hitch reciever. I've read other posts that don't recommend the Thule lock setup for doing that. I bought a Master lock but I would have to drill out the threads on the Thule bar (where the bolt threads in to secure the rack bar to the hitch reciever) so that the lock shaft will fit through both sides of the rack bar and then on through the reciever. Has anyone tried that before?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Kryptonite designed the Thule hitch lock, so I don't know how you can do better than that. I have it. Odds of someone trying to steal it are low anyway. Just etch your name in it. The problem I have is locking the bikes to the T2. I lock the arm with the Thule lockcore installed, but that thing looks like a joke to get past. I also lock the wheels and frame to the T2 with a 7ft cable lock. And then I lock the rear wheels down with a Kryptonite chain lock. This is only for brief visits to a rest stop bathroom or a restaurant on the way back from the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rack to car:
    http://www.softride.com/product.asp?p=56

Bike to car: Big ole Kryptonite cable with a heavy duty padlock securing to the trailer hitch. And never letting the whole works get out of my line of sight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks - that thing looks pretty much bullet proof

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey - that Softride hitch pin lock looked like the real deal, but have you actually tried it with a Thule T2? I ordered the Softride hitch pin lock, but the threaded bolt on the lock assembly will not thread into the nut that's welded to the Thule T2 bar that goes into the reciever. The bolt is way too large in diameter and has a much coarser thread than the nut will accept. It's a beautiful lock and looks very sturdy but it's not of much use for the T2 as I see it.
    At this point it looks like the Thule custom lock was the better way to go.
    Any suggestions short of trying to cut off the nut on the T2 or returning the Softride lock?.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Actually I use it with a Saris 'Cycle-On' for myself. I have a buddy that has a T2 and is using a knock-off from a trailer hitch store that works fine. I'll see him tomorrow and find out if he drilled anything or enlarged the hole for the hitch pin. With the Saris it was simply throw the works together and tighten up.

Members who have read this thread: 3