Thule T2 home made "snug-tite 2." So ugly yet so affective.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Thule T2 home made "snug-tite 2." So ugly yet so affective.

So I just dropped a crap ton of money on a new T2, and low and behold there is no hitch lock (snug-tite) included. I knew there wasn't lock cores, but I didn't expect this.

Ran back to the store to pick it up (how much can one be right?) and found it was $45 on sale. $45! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

I became enraged and stormed out. I debated on taking the whole thing back, but slowly calmed down and realized it is an awesome rack. So I started thinking....how can I make a lock for under $10.

Low and behold, the most ugly monstrosity ever made. The chain and masterlock in a old bike tube approach.

PS - The reason I was expecting the lock and everything included is due to my great experience with the SoftRide Access Versa rack. Everything included in the box to secure everything (including a cable to go around the bikes). If my car wasn't so low to the ground and requiring the large step-up the T2 offers, I would be all over this again (I had the 2inch version on my previous vehicle).
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    i don't think it looks too bad. crazy how expensive the thule lock is- absurd since you're already spending so much for a rack.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Token Hillbilly
    Yeah, I just bought a T2 a week ago, and was also a little disappointed that for as much as I spent, I didn't get a lock with it. It is a great rack though.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good for permanent or mostly-permanent installations. Can't really do that myself since we don't leave the rack on all the time.

JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Am I missing something, or are you not aware that you can buy locking hitch pins at any Wal-Mart or hardware store for ~$10?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The normal locking pins (non-threaded, non-antisway), in order to fit through the welded-in nut that's inside the Thule T2 would have to be smaller diameter and non-threaded. That would make the bike carrier wobble.

You can buy a 10 dollar locking pin, and buy the Swagman Anti-Rattle device for 17 bucks. Still cheaper than the Thule STL2, and depending on the locking pin, probably a lot more secure.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    it has elements of ghetto and mental instability all over it.

thieves would be too scared to steal from someone who conjures something like this up

JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solara
    The normal locking pins (non-threaded, non-antisway)...
    Oh yeah - I forgot that they use the threaded pin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Good for permanent or mostly-permanent installations. Can't really do that myself since we don't leave the rack on all the time.
    It is no slower to un-do than the Thule lock. There is 1 lock to undo and the chain stays in place and comes with the rack. Very simple to remove and re-install.

it has elements of ghetto and mental instability all over it.

thieves would be too scared to steal from someone who conjures something like this up
    I will take this as a compliment! This will for sure scare the thieves away...not to mention it should be difficult to actually break into.
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Obviously if you're using the Thule threaded bolt, it's definitely slower to undo both the threaded bolt and the lock/chain. But yeah, it wouldn't be much longer to undo since the chain stays with the T2 itself - hadn't realized that at first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Obviously if you're using the Thule threaded bolt, it's definitely slower to undo both the threaded bolt and the lock/chain. But yeah, it wouldn't be much longer to undo since the chain stays with the T2 itself - hadn't realized that at first.
    So you don't have to unlock the Snug-Tite? I don't see how putting my key in a master lock and then un-doing the threaded bolt takes longer than putting your key in the snug tite and undoing the threaded bolt.
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No, I was comparing it with the regular threaded bolt, not with the STL2.

Btw, that chain can still be cut with relative ease if someone really wanted it (replace with a Kryptonite New York one and then you'd be in business!), but it's still a lot more secure than the STL2 I think due to the STL2's flimsy locking core and thin bolt. I like the more secure Softride QuietRide threaded locking bolt, but you'd have to remove the T2's internal welded bolt: SoftRide

It's a much more robust, thicker bolt and would be very hard to cut through - it takes up the entire 5/8" hole of the 2" hitch/carrier - and the locking core is not flimsy like the STL2.

Members who have read this thread: 1