Thule T2 Assembly Warning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thule T2 Assembly Warning

Others may have had this problem, but I didn't see it anywhere in my search. If you plan on buying a T2 be very careful when you install the wheel tray to the arm. The instructions say to tighten firmly, however they don't mention the repercussions of a half-turn too tight. I snapped the plastic stud right off the wheel tray. "Snug" might have been a better choice of words.

This was my mistake though and I should have looked to see if the stud was all plastic before turning the wrench. I just wanted everyone to be aware if you are putting one together. Seems like a great rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by troutbike
    Others may have had this problem, but I didn't see it anywhere in my search. If you plan on buying a T2 be very careful when you install the wheel tray to the arm. The instructions say to tighten firmly, however they don't mention the repercussions of a half-turn too tight. I snapped the plastic stud right off the wheel tray. "Snug" might have been a better choice of words.

This was my mistake though and I should have looked to see if the stud was all plastic before turning the wrench. I just wanted everyone to be aware if you are putting one together. Seems like a great rack.
    I was lucky, the shop I bought it from replaced the tray for free (they said this happens a lot). The T2 is well made, otherwise, but I think it's a big "miss" to not have metal inserts for the bolts/screws in the trays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I did exactly the same thing. Not a good design but I should have paid more attention too.

GALATIANS 2:20
    Jun 2007
    I'm thinking of getting Thule rack. Is this plastic stud problem something you can retrofit with some metal equivalents from a Hardware store so as not to have to worry about this?
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

Galatians 2:20*

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It is not something you have to worry about if you don't overtighten the bolt. I used it a couple time with only one bolt in it and it was completely solid. the bolts just pull the thing together. If you don't overtighten I don't think there is any chance of snapping it the way that the tray and stud sit in the groove on the other side.

mtbr member
    odd, i've never seen this happen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, since they use a self-threading bolt, I initially used a socket set to tighten it. I found out the hard way it's better to use a flat head screwdriver, and gradually snug it tight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I do agree the instructions kind of suck, but I didn't have this problem. Better instructions would have brought assembly time down to a half hour instead of the embarrassingly long time I spent to make sure it was done right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter Cameraman
    I'm thinking of getting Thule rack. Is this plastic stud problem something you can retrofit with some metal equivalents from a Hardware store so as not to have to worry about this?
    If the trays are similar to the old ones, then yes. You can use the rectangular plates that come with U-bolts and a couple small carriage bolts. You might have to grind the rounded end of the carriage bolts flat though.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

pedaller

been there, done that!

I did the same thing and I called Thule and they said they had never heard of this happening BUT they promptly sent me a new wheel tray (no charge).

Still, I hate the design. They should have at least included a 4-inch bolt for the deeper hole in the tray instead of a 2-inch...

I ended up drilling out the hole altogether and inserting a 4-inch bolt from the top and a nylon nut at the bottom. It worked like a charm and now I'm not depending on plastic threads to hold it together.

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Members who have read this thread: 0