Thule T2 917 Weight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Thule T2 917 Weight

I'm in the market for a hitch rack and have narrowed it down to the Thule T2 and the 1upusa Raxter. The reviews for the Raxter all say that it is so light compared to the T2 so I emailed Raxter and asked what the weight of the rack was. The reply from them said the rack weighs 42 lbs, a little heavier than I thought based on the reviews on this site.

I'm leaning towards the T2 but cannot find an actual weight number for the rack. Everything I find is Shipping weight. Anyone out there know what the actual weight of the Thule T2 for 1.25" hitch is?

Thanks,

Jeff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well I have never weighed mine on a scale but the shipping weight of 54-58 pounds seems about right. I didn`t know the shipping weight before i did a search and I would have guessed 50-55 pounds so I was close. It does feel heavy when you pick it up but to me that makes it feel extremely well built.

mtbr member
    The Thule T2 is a pig. You have to have a Class II or better 1.25 hitch. I have a Class 1 and I think the only rack I can use is the Raxter. I had a Sportworks Mod Tray before that was really light but the thin square tubing for the arm broke after 3 1/2 years.

TLL
    mtbr member
    The Thule T2 weighs exactly 49 pounds. Each bike attachment weights 15, the base weighs 19. I weighed mine on a scale before installing it. Sometime I run it with just one attachment if I know I'm not going on any group rides.

The majority (if not all) 1.25 hitches out there are class 1. All class 1 hitches are rated for a tongue weight of 200#, and can easily take a T2. You do not need a class 2 hitch. If your hitch only has a tongue weight of 100#, then it is not class 1.

nice link explaining hitch classes:

http://hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    The Thule T2 weighs exactly 49 pounds. Each bike attachment weights 15, the base weighs 19. I weighed mine on a scale before installing it. Sometime I run it with just one attachment if I know I'm not going on any group rides.

The majority (if not all) 1.25 hitches out there are class 1. All class 1 hitches are rated for a tongue weight of 200#, and can easily take a T2. You do not need a class 2 hitch. If your hitch only has a tongue weight of 100#, then it is not class 1.

nice link explaining hitch classes:

http://hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html
    According to Thule's website, if you have a Class 1 hitch, the T2 is not listed as an available bike rack.

mtbr member
    Thule's website lists the Model 917 T2 2 BIKE 1-1/4 for the Class 1 hitch. The Class 1 hitch has a tongue capacity of 200 pounds. The above weights indicate the 2 bike carrier weighs 100 pounds, leaving up to 100 pounds of capacity for carrying 2 bikes.

The Thule website only lists the additional 2 bike add on (Model 918) as not available for Class 1 hitches, which makes sense, it is designed for the 2" receiver hitch for carrying a total of 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    TLL,

Thanks for the breakdown of the weights for this rack, that is axactly what I was looking for. Based on this information it looks like I will be getting the T2 as it is only 7 lbs heavier than the raxter, yet has the fold down capability and probably better resale value if I ever need to sell it.

mtbr member
    For a 2002 Nissan Maxima with a Class 1 1 1/4" hitch, only the 990 and 912 racks are listed as available hitch racks.

For a Class II 1 1/4" hitch, the 990, 957, 954 935XT, 917(T2), 914, and 912 rack are listed as available hitch racks.

Like I said before, according to Thule's website, if you have a Class 1 hitch, the T2 is not listed as an available bike rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is a link to what I am planning on doing. Same car and same rack, but I am planning on going with the Curt hitch.

http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/v/acquir..._ex/?g2_page=2

Members who have read this thread: 0