Thule T2 + 08 Wrangler = I Wish...- Mtbr.com
    Masher

Thule T2 + 08 Wrangler = I Wish...

I feel kinda bad. I went to REI to try and pick up a T2 that i heard had enough clearance to clear the spare tire on my 08 wrangler limited. So they pull the box off the shelf, put it all together, put a bunch of locks and crap on it and ask me if I have paid for it yet. I tel them I'm not paying for it until it is on my car and working. So we go outside and who woulda thought, it doesn't cleat the tire.

In two ways really, it won't fold up when it is on the hitch when there are no bikes on it. And the handle that releases the hitch to fold is in the way of the rear door opening.

So I'm begging, please, what hitch mounted rack can I use that clears the tire and the door and uses the "over wheel" method of keeping the bikes in place? Is there no such thing? It is apparent to me now that I can't just order one and hope it works and I hear bad things about the racks that are mounted to the tire itself.

Are there any '07, 08 Sahara owners that have solved this problem? the Sahara comes with 17" wheels as opposed to the 16" wheels of the Rubicon and X. I'm not sure if that matters...

Help...I want to go ride again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Go to Northern Tool and get a draw bar extension. Granted, I don't have an '08, but I've done tons of research for hitch carriers for my '98 with 33x12.50 spare and the T2 with a draw bar extension is by far the best choice. And, for what it's worth, I don't think the tailgate will open with any hitch mount carrier. Why do you want to open the tail gate anyway? Jeeps shouldn't have roofs...

mtbr member
    Why do you need the "over the wheel" method? There are other racks that DO work with the 07-08 wranglers that use other methods (over the top tube) that work just as well.

Masher
    I'm not a big fan of the swing away not to mention the 469 bucks they want for it. And I have a bike with a curved top tube and I would rather not have to worry about those makeshift toptubes that attach to it. Most seem to agree that platform hitch systems are best on the wrangler. Now I just need to get it on there...

Could you send me a link to what you are talking about and myabe an idea what I need to do. Or maybe who in any given town might no more about this. Thanks.

oh and,

...because it's cold!

mtbr member
    This is the rack that I have. It is a Sportrack that has the Xport label on it. Sportrack is owned by Thule. It can handle any kind of top tube and will fold down to allow access to the back of your jeep. It also comes with a threaded hitch pin that eliminates any movement of the rack in the receiver.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if it is possible to take the T2 to a metal fab shop and have them weld a short extension in order to clear large spare tires.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    Does anyone know if it is possible to take the T2 to a metal fab shop and have them weld a short extension in order to clear large spare tires.

Thanks

Just buy one of these:

http://www.truckntow.com/showproduct...roductID=11242

Masher
    Oh those extensions look perfect. Any idea where I would find them locally or do I have to order it on the internet.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    check out a local RV dealer, or any palce that has truck bed campers they usualy sell those extensions.

since 4/10/2009
    I've never seen those extensions in stock at any store, but they're easy to find on the web. Just order one and be done with it. I'll have to get one when I get around to buying a hitch rack for the Liberty. Tray type hitch racks are the only option for me. My bike is a fully with a heavily sloping TT and my wife rides a teeny frame. Those makeshift TT adapters are scary and I really don't want any melted/exploded tires from coming too close to the exhaust.

mtbr member
    Or go to a local welding shop and have them cut you a piece of 2" square tubing to the exact length you want. All you have to do then is drill holes in the appropriate locations for a htich pin and the bike tray folder/attachment. I like this route because it's a bit less cobbled together looking when you're done and you can have the rack set as close or far out from the vehicle as you want.

mtbr member
    You could also check out www.etrailer.com.
    I have a car that the Thule T2 won't fold up when no bikes are on it, so I need an extension, the only place that had an extension for 1.25 inch hitch was etrailer. Plus they also have all kinds of locks for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0