Thule SideArms stolen - how to secure my next set?- Mtbr.com
    hands up who wants to die

Thule SideArms stolen - how to secure my next set?

Hi guys!
    My Thule Sidearm trays were stolen after 3 years of street parking them.

Anyone have some home brew / fabrication ideas to secure them to my locked Thule crossbars?

So far my ideas are:
    - Replacing the square head bolts and wingnuts with Security Torx, nylocks and red loctite.
    - drilling a hole in the aluminum tray and feeding 3/8" vinyl-coated wire (aka cheap cable lock material) through the tray and then looping/locking that to the crossbars.

Anyone have other easy-ish ideas to deter theft?

(Please don't suggest that I switch to a hitch rack, or remove the trays and bring them into my tiny apartment after every use.)

I'm not aware of another roof rack that's as good or better than the Sidearms for DH bikes, but let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks!
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

That sucks man. Have you thought of using the Thule lock kit? I have two sidearms and I put the lock cylinders on the cover that goes over the wing nuts on the back side. I know it's not a sure fix but possibly worth a shot?

Sent from my Apple II using Tapatalk
    ----

10' Cannondale Alloy Flash 1 29er
    11' Salsa El Mariachi SS Rigid

mtbr member
    I think the security Torx or security socketed head cap screws are the way to go. The rest, I think, may not be required, but couldn't hurt. I'm surprised the manufacturers don't supply this hardware as stock or at least offer them as an optional kit.

Sorry you got ripped off. Keep an eye out on Craigs List. Who knows.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

turtles make me hot
    Security Torx, Nyloks and Loctite are probably enough. The instant it takes too much time, they'll usually pass.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 04-30-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I think the security Torx or security socketed head cap screws are the way to go. The rest, I think, may not be required, but couldn't hurt. I'm surprised the manufacturers don't supply this hardware as stock or at least offer them as an optional kit.

Sorry you got ripped off. Keep an eye out on Craigs List. Who knows.
    More likely on a slammed honda civic because it's trendy to have racks on them

I would drill the bolt for a cotter pin too, make them have a diverse tool selection if they try again.

I didn't have the little locking plastic cover thing over the wing nuts. I had laughed about how inadequate it was for security, but in hindsight it may have been "enough."

Obviously 30 secs with a battery dremel would take 'em off.

The answer to my dilemma was to get silver 1upusa trays. They are kinda home-made looking, hopefully reducing targeting by thieves. They come stock with security Allen bolts that require a custom low-profile wrench that the racks are supplied with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    FWIW: My sidearms, using the locking Thule cover, have survived intact parked outside for over 2 years now. During that time, other things that were not locked were stolen from the rack. As with anything, the locks are a deterrent, but they do seem to deter.

mtbr member
    Id probably just swap out those wingnuts for some hardware that requires tools, for starters.

Theft is the main issue i have with hand-operated functions on bikes and cars, and other things in public.

App-a-LATCH-un
    My sidearm wingnuts cracked and fell off years ago. I just use nylock nuts now and it takes me quite a bit longer to remove the rack with a 10mm wench. A combination of a few of the things mentioned will likely do the trick.
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet View Post
    The answer to my dilemma was to get silver 1upusa trays. They are kinda home-made looking, hopefully reducing targeting by thieves.
    I wouldn't let the 1upusa faithful hear you say that. According to them that rack is the best thing since the ball point pen. For that kind of money I wouldn't want something that looks like I made it in my garage.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I wouldn't let the 1upusa faithful hear you say that. According to them that rack is the best thing since the ball point pen. For that kind of money I wouldn't want something that looks like I made it in my garage.
    Well for me it's a bonus as I street park in NYC and would rather not be ripped off again. In addition to the nifty security bolts, the 1up rack is also lighter, much lower profile, has less steel to rust and mounts bikes front or backwards compared to the Thule sidearm. There's also no pressure on your suspension on the 1up.

The black 1up would look more pro / stealth / cool-guy if that's your primary concern!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I often wonder about guys whole steal stuff like this. Do they take it just because they can, or because they really need it for their own use.