Thule Sidearm and v-brakes & Criterium on Titanium??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thule Sidearm and v-brakes & Criterium on Titanium??

for last 15+ years, I have used the old school Thule fork mount rack. decided time to upgrade and just bought a Sidearm. Aside from the shear enormity of the thing, it doesn't appear to work very well with my bike with v-brakes. It puts a lot of pressure on them, and I've tried several different ways to try to get it to seat (open brakes, etc.).

Anyone have experience / advice for this?

Also, I looked at the Criterium (and Big Mouth) and not sure about how it would work...anyone using either of these frame clamp designs on a Titanium bike? Any issues with frame damage? What about a square downtube (I also have an old K2 FS). So to recap:

1. Sidearm with V-brakes?
    2. Criterium / Big Mouth with Titanium frame or square down tube?

TIA.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The arm doesn't need to go absolutely against the fork. Just put it about and inch or so forward. As long as you have the back ratchet tight, that bike is going nowhere. I've logged 500 or so miles like this with a 50lb DH rig and a BMX bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    The arm doesn't need to go absolutely against the fork. Just put it about and inch or so forward. As long as you have the back ratchet tight, that bike is going nowhere. I've logged 500 or so miles like this with a 50lb DH rig and a BMX bike.
    ok, that's good to know. thanks
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    this is the same issue with a road bike as well, and works fine...the keys being that your tire is inflated and that you haven't mounted the clamp mechanism past the "apex" of the wheel, so that it could potentially roll backwards....locking the sidearm in transit wouldn't hurt either, but is an extra step.

as far as the criterium on ti, that's not an issue...for a long time (and still to this day) we don't recommend the big mouth or other racks that put excessive force on the frame when loading a carbon fiber frame...it's just too much force.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    this is the same issue with a road bike as well, and works fine...the keys being that your tire is inflated and that you haven't mounted the clamp mechanism past the "apex" of the wheel, so that it could potentially roll backwards....locking the sidearm in transit wouldn't hurt either, but is an extra step.

as far as the criterium on ti, that's not an issue...for a long time (and still to this day) we don't recommend the big mouth or other racks that put excessive force on the frame when loading a carbon fiber frame...it's just too much force.
    just so I'm clear, you're suggesting that the sidearm clamp mechanism should be as close to the fork as possible...between the apex of the wheel and the fork, right?
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

code: mtbr2011
    yes, as close to the fork as possible...against the fork can result in some rubbing on the fork...this was posted in an earlier thread, and i have seen it on my bike too, but if you're not fully up against the fork, make sure your tire is inflated...to at least what you ride it at should be fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0