Thule SideArm tray and fat tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Thule SideArm tray and fat tires

I just bought a Thule sidearm and, contrary to what the folks at the shop said, the tray does not accomodate a 2.7 tire. I know, if I had done my homework, I would have read on the Thule website that the tray accommodates tires up to 2.6... well I have a 2.5 (both Nevegals) on the back and the rear tire still does not fit soundly in the tray. The knobs have to hang over the side a bit. Is this a major problem? I haven't mounted it yet to test its stability in use, because I may want to take it back. Does anyone out there have any experience with a Thule Sidearm tray and fat tires? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm stuck with the Thule Crossroad rack, so my only other option would be a Yakima HighRoller attached to my Thule crossbars.

Thanks for any tips.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a sidearm and have used 2.5 WTB Timberwolves, which are as big if not bigger than the nevegals. It won't fit completely in the rail, but still holds nice and tight.

Sidenote, one time I forgot to completely strap the rear tire down. Drove 25 miles home from the trail before I realized it, and no problems. Takes quite a lot to bounce a bike off the rail.

Members who have read this thread: 0