Thule prices in Canada = Ripoff!!!???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thule prices in Canada = Ripoff!!!???

What's with Thule prices in Canada being so high compared to the US?!!! Here's an example - Sidearm bike rack - US $130, Cdn $229. I'm currently looking for an Ascent 1100 roof box - only $300 in the US, but $475 in Canada.

I've heard that Thule charges the Canadian distributor way higher prices, which in turn, get passed on to us. Either that, or the distributor is making a ton of extra dollars. Plus, they won't allow US retailers to ship product to Canada. Anyone in Washington state interested in buying a roof box for me and sending it to me...??? I'm pretty sure shipping would be far less than the $275 premium being charged in Canada....

mtbr member
    Thule and Yakima are both way overpriced in Canada due to the distributors, I've had some good luck finding new stuff on e-bay though. The shipping on a combi-box is probably high, but is worth checking out.

Calm Like a Bomb
    i ordered my rack from jensonusa and had it delivered....even with the $70 for shipping i still saved over $100 from the prices i was quoted here in Canada and it was on my door step the second day after i ordered...my rack is a saris cycleon pro...weird that thule won't allow their racks to be shipped from the States to Canada...i am sure u can find a US retailer that would though
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When I bought my Thule T2 I think list was 600 CAN. I got it for 288 US shipped to my aunts house in the US. Canadians get raped on all things bike related. With our strong dollar at or above parity with the US dollar it is even worse now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's insane - I emailed some VP at Thule asking why - I am assuming I will never get a reply. I totally agree that we get screwed on tons of biking stuff. The going rate for Giro Remedy helmets was $180 CDN - bought mine out of the US for $85. Our "distribution" system is different from that of the US, and we get the pleasure of paying the extra middleman a nice profit... I think companies think it's difficult to do business in Canada or something, so they go the distributor route..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I heard that it had something to do with border Tarriffs as well for the bike racks. (and of course i'm sure that someone's screwing someone in the deal as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Dude canadians just stop complaining, your freaking dollar is basically the same as ours now =P

Five years ago it was a 2:1 ratio for us... >_>

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ...and your point is?? Shouldn't the price of stuff be the same then?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood
    ...and your point is?? Shouldn't the price of stuff be the same then?

Actually what should be happening is the US prices should be going up to match Canadian prices. The US dollar is weak against almost every other currency. If most of these things are made in Asia then it now costs more to get them made using US dollars. So the price in th US should be going up.

I think the previous poster was saying we weren't complaining when the Canadian dollar was sitting at 63cents of a US dollar. If you looked at the pricing then we were doing pretty well when compared the cost of goods. Really it doesn't matter - a manufacturer is not going going to lower their pricing overnight by huge amounts based on the strength or weakness of currency. The only real option is to get our good from the US.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think you make an interesting point. The fact that US prices do NOT seem to be going up (yet) is indication that there is sufficient built in profit to cover off the ongoing weakness in the US dollar. I actually got a response from someone at Thule that claims because of our market being smaller and widely distributed that costs are higher. Certainly this is partially true - although a huge percentage of Canadians live within an hour or two's drive of the US border. I don't object to paying a small premium to cover off some extra costs - but 58% stikes me as kind of high.

About our dollar reaching that all time low a couple years back - nothing more than speculators driving the price down so everthing in Canada could be purchased at fire sale prices with other currencies. Our economic fundamentals have not changed that significantly in since then...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood
    I think you make an interesting point. The fact that US prices do NOT seem to be going up (yet) is indication that there is sufficient built in profit to cover off the ongoing weakness in the US dollar. I actually got a response from someone at Thule that claims because of our market being smaller and widely distributed that costs are higher. Certainly this is partially true - although a huge percentage of Canadians live within an hour or two's drive of the US border. I don't object to paying a small premium to cover off some extra costs - but 58% stikes me as kind of high.

About our dollar reaching that all time low a couple years back - nothing more than speculators driving the price down so everthing in Canada could be purchased at fire sale prices with other currencies. Our economic fundamentals have not changed that significantly in since then...
    I agree completely - manufacturers use the excuse of Canada being a different market to explain away the differences in pricing. It is kind of a BS answer when 80 percent of the population of Canada lives relatively close to the US border. There might be some difference but no explanation can explain the 58 percent difference you are seeing. Thats why I bought my rack in the US and saved a bunch. I feel sorry for the Canadian retailers right now though but I am not paying hundreds of dollars more for something I can get a hour away cheaper.

In the end if we don't want what to see these differences in pricing we could just adopt a common currency. At the rate the US dollar is sinking it might be wise for the US to jump on board with us anyways. I don't know if my American cousins would ever get used to a loonie though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    In the end if we don't want what to see these differences in pricing we could just adopt a common currency. At the rate the US dollar is sinking it might be wise for the US to jump on board with us anyways. I don't know if my American cousins would ever get used to a loonie though.
    The last thing we need it the yanks adopting our currency, then we would just get dragged down with them. On the other hand I can't wait to see the new $5 coin, what in the world are we going to call that.

Members who have read this thread: 0