Which THULE is for me???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Which THULE is for me???

I have an 05 Altima and have been looking at the THULE racks to carry 2 mountain bikes (preferably with the front wheel still on) and then some skis in the winter. Anyone have any advice on which rack and features to go with? I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thule sidearm 594...definitely!

For the Altima you'll need to buy the full package: feet, crossbars, bike rack and ski rack.

For a bike rack, definitely the Thule Sidearm 594. Nothing beats it for carrying a bike. It's fast and easy for install and removal. Holds the bikes securely as well. Front wheel stays on.

For a ski rack, you could go with the typical 4 pair which would attach to the thule crossbars. Or you could spring for the rooftop box which completely encloses the ski/boards and locks.

If your crossbars are wide enough you could have the box or ski rack installed along side the Sidearms.

I have an Outback wagon with thule crossbars, 2 Sidearms and a thule box (CascadeXT). When I remove the box I have enough space to install my 2 other Sportworks upright racks or my standard 6 pair ski rack.

Check out the Thule side and build out the rack system. Will also give you a good estimate on price.

Good luck

-enduro
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

call thule at their 800#

they'll make a recommendation

New Jersey
    I see a lot of cars with two bikes on top... is it possible to have three, or will the three mounts not physically fit up there? What about four?

EDIT: And aren't fork mounts more secure than the 594, or is that not true? The reason I ask is because I tend to drive... pretty sporty at times. And the last thing I want is to hit a speedbump, or take a sharp turn, or have to slam on my brakes, and watch the bike fly off. :-3

All feedback greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro
    For the Altima you'll need to buy the full package: feet, crossbars, bike rack and ski rack.

For a bike rack, definitely the Thule Sidearm 594. Nothing beats it for carrying a bike. It's fast and easy for install and removal. Holds the bikes securely as well. Front wheel stays on.

For a ski rack, you could go with the typical 4 pair which would attach to the thule crossbars. Or you could spring for the rooftop box which completely encloses the ski/boards and locks.

If your crossbars are wide enough you could have the box or ski rack installed along side the Sidearms.

I have an Outback wagon with thule crossbars, 2 Sidearms and a thule box (CascadeXT). When I remove the box I have enough space to install my 2 other Sportworks upright racks or my standard 6 pair ski rack.

Check out the Thule side and build out the rack system. Will also give you a good estimate on price.

Good luck

-enduro
    Thanks a ton for your help. That made up my mind about the 594!

Members who have read this thread: 0