Thule Insta-Gator Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thule Insta-Gator Questions

Hey All!

I've pretty much talked myself into picking up a few Insta-Gators for my F150.

How many bikes can you get in the bed using ONLY Insta-Gators? 3 would be enough for me.

How secure are they? Would you feel comfortable leaving your bikes in a parking lot for a few hours? (My tailgate locks) I guess I could pick up some cables and use them too.

Thanks for any info/feedback you may have!

Adam
    adam michigan karate monkey

mtbr member
    3 bikes and a cable lock works.
    Too many toys, not enough time.

mtbr member
    I would aways use a cable. I use a long one I got from Home Depot and a padlock. Still not the securest way to go but better than nothing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I use the Insta-gator and love it. That being said even with THule locks and a locking tailgate someone COULD climb into the back of your truck, unhook the rack and walk away with the bike locked into the rack. I feel confident that no one would have the time to do it, but I don't have my truck unattended aside from a quick run in to the supermarket or packie. They won't be riding away though. It would take a lot of work to get the rack off the bike. If you use a good braided cable and a pad lock you would be more than secure.

mtbr member
    It would take 5 seconds with a razer knife to cut the rubber straps that hold the rack to the truck. Once the rack was pulled away from the tailgate I think the bike would roll forward enough to let the arm that holds the wheel to fall down. Bike free from truck and is gone.

Even with a pad lock and a cable, someone with a set of bolt cutters could be gone in less than a minute. That is the chance you take leaving your bike unattended outside. This would go for any kind of rack really. The only thing you can do is try to mitigate the risk the best you can.

code: mtbr2011
    i would probably recommend a beefy cable lock through the frames. the bed of the pickup has plenty of good places to attach that cable lock.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Any issues running it with DH bikes? Thule site states that it shouldn't be run with bike that have less than a 68* HA. My bikes have HAs of 70*, 67*, 66.3*, and 64*.
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

Members who have read this thread: 0