Thule hitch rack bent..........damn hooligans- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Thule hitch rack bent..........damn hooligans

I have a Thule roadway rack and I left it in the up position over night in front of my house. The next day I went to go for a ride and noticed the right pole thing is about three inches lower than the left when at the ends!! I think someone jumped on it or hung on it or something along those lines and bent it down..

Anyone have experience with this type of scenario? I'm thinking that I can probably bend it back but it's stiff as hell and I'm pretty sure once I bend it back it will compromise the strength of the pole. Anything I can do except bend it back?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    one of your nice neighbours may have backed into it when it was parked...I've sen it a lot at work, people just don't see them because they are black...I don't think someone could have bent it by hanging on it. Have a look at your neighbours cars, there's bound to be some damage at the same height if that's what happened.

mtbr member
    The good news is that Thule has good customer service. Look up the part # online (the one that is actually bent), and you can order it from them. The have a parts list online (or you can dig out your original manual).

Good luck.

tk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm not sure how Thule handles replacement parts. Allen would not sell me a replacement for that part on my parent's rack after they lost if off the car (first time dad used it and didn't get it in the hitch properly). Something about liability and them being responsible if I cobbled together a rack with parts they provided. They ended up buying another new rack to replace it. Other than the part where the bikes actually mount the rack was fine.

Nice no rass
    You can buy any and all replacement parts for any Thule off their website. If something is not listed on the exploded views, you simply call and they get them to you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    one of your nice neighbours may have backed into it when it was parked...I've sen it a lot at work, people just don't see them because they are black...I don't think someone could have bent it by hanging on it. Have a look at your neighbours cars, there's bound to be some damage at the same height if that's what happened.
    I considered this but it would be quite a bit of work for someone to have hit me with another car. Reason being that I was parked on a driveway and noone parks behind me so someone would have had to pull up in their car, put the rack down, hit it with their car, and then put it back up. I used the rack the night before so I know the timeframe in which it occurred, sometime overnight or next morning.

I guess if I can't bend it back I'll have to buy another part to replace this bent arm. Such a bust when your property is treated with disrespect right? Oh well, it is what it is.

Members who have read this thread: 0