Thule 990 XT Doubletrack hitch rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thule 990 XT Doubletrack hitch rack

I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

This looks like a pretty good rack at a pretty good price. I've had the Thule Side Arm trays for my roof rack for a few years and have really liked them but now I need a hitch rack.

I'm a little concerned about the slide down hook securing the bike via the top tube. Does this work ok with sloping top tubes.

Also it doesn't look like there's any option for adding on if you need more than two bikes.
    And it doesn't look like it tilts down/out of the way in order to access the lift gate when bikes are loaded.

Anyone using one? Any other concerns?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Depends if u have a 2inch hitch or 1.25 hitch. It works great on 1.25 it doesn't wobble as bad. Wobbles like crazy in a 2inch hitch i returned mine because of it. I just bit the bullet and bought the 1up rack since everyone says it is worth the money plus it wont rust.

mtbr member
    I've read a lot of reviews on the 1Up and it does sound good..... but it's twice as much and looks like an Erector Set.

Sigh. I guess it's like anything, you get what you pay for. Did the Thule secure ok on a sloping top tube?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ya it secures the bike good its just a wobbly rack tho if you have a 2inch receiver hitch it comes with this plastic adapter to adjust to the 2 inch hitch witch i didn't trust very much plus the weight of the bikes and rack over time might crack it. (esp if u live in very hot summer states)
    The 1 up comes fully assembled no tools needed (it comes with the allen wrench key for the attachment lock to the hitch.) I have seen one in person this rack is solid and doesn't wobble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'm a little concerned about the slide down hook securing the bike via the top tube. Does this work ok with sloping top tubes.
    Works great on my Trek Fuel EX8.

Also it doesn't look like there's any option for adding on if you need more than two bikes.
    Can't add more with the 990XT but I know there is a higher end Thule that can but I believe it requires a 2" hitch.

And it doesn't look like it tilts down/out of the way in order to access the lift gate when bikes are loaded.
    Yes it does. It tilts down/away from the car to allow access to my trunk.

Very happy with it. I use it with my Civic to haul my mountain bike, road bike, and my buddies bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0