Thule 917XTR vs 990 XT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

New question here. Thule 917XTR vs 990 XT

Does anyone have any strong opinions about either of these racks?

Got a 2" curt hitch for my '11 Forester, trying to figure out if the extra $120 is worth the integrated lock and tire-connection as opposed to touching the frame.

Both the GF and I have 29ers and I've heard the XTR tire-touch gets 'tight' (aka you have to slam the rack onto the tire) to get a good connection. Alternative is scratching the frame up :X

I like the idea of the integrated lock and not touching the frame but the price difference is pretty not insignificant @ $120 (net of REI discount/credit).

XT: Thule*-*990XT Doubletrack
    XTR: Thule*-*916XTR T2

TIA

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Does anyone have any strong opinions about either of these racks?

Got a 2" curt hitch for my '11 Forester, trying to figure out if the extra $120 is worth the integrated lock and tire-connection as opposed to touching the frame.

Both the GF and I have 29ers and I've heard the XTR tire-touch gets 'tight' (aka you have to slam the rack onto the tire) to get a good connection. Alternative is scratching the frame up :X

I like the idea of the integrated lock and not touching the frame but the price difference is pretty not insignificant @ $120 (net of REI discount/credit).

XT: Thule*-*990XT Doubletrack
    XTR: Thule*-*916XTR T2

TIA
    I have ridden with friends that have both types, and I prefer the XTR, for the reasons you mention. Mainly, the tire contact vs the frame contact.

-D

I <3 dirt
    I just ordered the T2 because it's the same trays essentially as the sidearm xt (which I had and loved). My 29er fits on this rack with no issues as that was also a concern of mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just picked up at my local campmor a thule 916xtr along with the 918xt for $500 +tax. They tell me the 918xt will fit, but it does not have the additional frame locks like the xtr. Nontheless, I took them as I thought it was a great deal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    917 by a mile. However, it ain't perfect - the adjustments strip quickly (cross bars) and is simply much much heavier than it needs to be.

As to the 29er, the front rack (closest to the trunk) easily accommodates a 29er. The rear rack however is a bit of bear. Not sure if intentional...

Members who have read this thread: 0