Thule 916xtr or Kuat Sherpa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Thule 916xtr or Kuat Sherpa

I just bought a jeep grand cherokee and am considering these two racks. Based on my research, both are considered quality racks, but most people buying Kuat seem to get the NV. I can't justify $500 for the nv. I like the sherpa for its light weight. It looks like the wheelbase of my medium 29er will fit, but just barely. The 916xtr will definitely support it.

Any thoughts on these 2 racks? Is there a reason I should avoid the sherpa?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Former NV user here and I love their engineering. When I do get another two bike hitch mount, it will be a Sherpa. I have a buddy that uses one and it's very nice.

mtbr member
    I really like my sherpa and think it looks a lot better than the Thule. Picked it over the nv for the different hitch size options. My 21" 29er fits just fine. And it looks cool covered in stickers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys. My 29er is a Gary Fisher, so the wheelbase may be a little longer than comparable 29ers. The Kuat site says that the sherpa can support 44.5 inch wheelbases. My medium frame 29er is probably 44.0 inches, so hopefully I'll be fine.

code: mtbr2011
    I would recommend taking a look at the Kuat NV Core too. It's a pared down version of the NV, and it's right in your wheelhouse as far as budget.
    No issues with wheelbase either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    I would recommend taking a look at the Kuat NV Core too. It's a pared down version of the NV, and it's right in your wheelhouse as far as budget.
    No issues with wheelbase either.
    Scott - What are the differences between the NV Core and Sherpa? The 2 are priced so similar that it really baffles me as to why I would choose 1 over the other.

code: mtbr2011
    The Sherpa is a little bit more "lighter duty" and isn't recommended for DH or FR bikes because it only can handle up to a 44" wheelbase, while the NV Core can handle up to a 48" wheelbase.
    The core uses a bolt to tighten to the vehicle, while the Sherpa uses the hand-tightening cam.
    Sherpa comes with a lock, while the NV Core has it sold separately for $39.00.
    One other consideration is that the Sherpa's wheeltray sticks out further than the other racks, and if your hitch is far underneath your bumper, you might see interference with your bumper when the rack is folded up against the car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Scott. That's a lot easier to understand!

Sherpa for me in a few months it is.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Man... had the NV Core been out when I bought mine, I would have jumped on it. I love my Sherpa... I had no problems on my Integra, but I can't fold the rack on my Accord (bumper interference like mentioned). I do NOT regret spending the $$$ on a really nice rack...
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

Faster it.
    I guess I'll be the only one chiming in for the 916 XTR T2... works really well, built in cable locks, adjustable spacing and width... though I think it compares more to the Yakima Hold-Up than the Kuat as far as price range goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ended up buying the sherpa. I'm very happy with the purchase so far. The online assemply video made putting it together a snap. For a 150 pound shrimp like me I love the fact that its <30 pounds, compared to 56 pounds on the Thule. It supports any medium frame bike that my girlfriend and I will ever buy. If you only ride medium frame, sub 40 pound bikes I highly recommend this rack. And one other thing, it was missing a front tire cradle. Kuat had a replacement at my door in 2 days.

Members who have read this thread: 0