Thule 916XT T2 vs. Yakima Holdup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thule 916XT T2 vs. Yakima Holdup

Looking at getting one of these two hitch racks. Anyone have any insight on comparing these two? Looks like Yakima is a little higher but Thule's drop down feature to access rear of vehicle looks easier.

Edit..... found a good article from sponsors of this thread:
    http://www.cracksandracks.com/news/c...ch-bike-racks/
    Last edited by F.N.G; 10-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.

code: mtbr2011
    take a look at the kuat NV too....
    it's definitely a contender.

mtbr member
    Pretty pricey though!!!

They that much better?

code: mtbr2011
    a little bit lighter, yes...plus you get the integrated bike repair stand, which is a nice value, and you get aluminum construction.

functionally, they're all going to carry a bike well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ive had the Thule for several years now, with no problems. Plus until tomorrowm you can get 20% off of one from REI. As for the kuat, why would you ever need a bike repair stand built into a hitch carrier? Although I see it all the time, people at the trailhead that are repairing their bikes before they go ride. I mean WTF, why dont you do that at home? I know when I roll up, i can take the bike off the rack and go ride! Ok Im done ranting!

mtbr member
    I would not pay extra for that feature. I understand your rant and wouldn't do work on trail head prior to ride either but I can see it coming in handy if you go camping for a couple of days and don't want to pack your bike stand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can't comment on the Yaki but I've had the 917-T2 (1.25" hitch) for almost a year. Although it is light-years better than the cheapo trunk-mounted POS that preceded it, it's not far less than optimal. If you've ever put together Ikea furniture or have ever worked on a Saab, I think you'll understand the critique that follows.

It's not so much as a cheap or explicitly poor design, but that engineering efforts are misdirected. For example, the cross bar clamping mechanism, though intricate and has had time spent on it, is all sorts of flawed (it wobbles, and is begging to loosen up over time). Further, metal was used in place of superior design (gussets and ribbing).

Overall I'm happy with it but I could easily design a better, lighter rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    each time a description of the change, there is always plenty to talk about around the world. they are not exempt. a statement usually are: "i have to change almost immediately versions, so do not expect me to date continue to attack .. Nice work! Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality content that is forever updated. it seems good and I hope you will keep up the good work in future as well. i do not think i was ready for you to put words in quotation marks. i'll think about what you really want when you put your search in quotes and try to return something that makes sense. the whole information is just wonderful. I really appreciate this effort of yours dear. its been great reading all this information of u. I really wonder that why these things are not found in books? well you done a great job really and its been a very handy set of information i had from ur articles. thanks dude. great article giving all the technical detail about this product. i was wandering around to get some insight about it from a long time. thnx to resolve my issue. I am first time here and really found it good by all means, Infact the topic is good to read and and sending this page to my other firends because they are always asking me for the good resources to read out. Cheers
    brad

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsmokess
    each time a description of the change, there is always plenty to talk about around the world. they are not exempt. a statement usually are: "i have to change almost immediately versions, so do not expect me to date continue to attack .. Nice work! Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality content that is forever updated. it seems good and I hope you will keep up the good work in future as well. i do not think i was ready for you to put words in quotation marks. i'll think about what you really want when you put your search in quotes and try to return something that makes sense. the whole information is just wonderful. I really appreciate this effort of yours dear. its been great reading all this information of u. I really wonder that why these things are not found in books? well you done a great job really and its been a very handy set of information i had from ur articles. thanks dude. great article giving all the technical detail about this product. i was wandering around to get some insight about it from a long time. thnx to resolve my issue. I am first time here and really found it good by all means, Infact the topic is good to read and and sending this page to my other firends because they are always asking me for the good resources to read out. Cheers
    You spammers should put the pipe down and stop smoking so much.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    After watching this video I decided to go with the Yakima Holdup.

http://bikeintelligencer.com/2010/03...ophic-failure/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks! Thule T2 is off my list now too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    After watching this video I decided to go with the Yakima Holdup.

http://bikeintelligencer.com/2010/03...ophic-failure/
    Rofl..so much controversy over that video. There is no way the bars on the Thule T2 can rock off like that unless the idiot didn't tighten as specified. I've had the T2 for a few years now and the only gripe I have is that it rusts and is heavy as hell. Other than that, the only time I do notice the bar move (~1CM) is after a few months and it moves inward (from being in the storage position) and NOT outward.

I also own a Kuat Sherpa and I prefer the Thule T2 since it feels so much more robust. With the rack being so light due to using aluminum, the whole rack feels flimsy and rattles most of the time. The arm part of my Sherpa is also getting worn out as I now have to wiggle it just to lift it up; the other day I had to remove the front wheel since I could not get it into the right angle to lift up. Will be contacting Kuat soon about warranty.

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have had a t2 for many thousands of miles of use and never had any problems. then again i used proper tools to cinch it down too, not some flimsy trail multitool like the guy in that video. it is heavy, but then again it is heavy. id rather deal with a little extra weight when moving it around than be worried about it being to weenie to hold the desired load.

i have no experience with the yakima but i think the thule is a fine rack.

mtbr member
    1up
    Too many toys, not enough time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I went with the Yakima Holdup and I'm pretty impressed. Installation was a breeze and the rack performs like a champ. When comparing it to my friend's T2 I'd give a slight edge to the Holdup based on the ground of construction. The T2 while nice, seems a lot less rigid then my Holdup. I also found out that you can now hook up a Kuat stand to the Holdup!!!!

http://www.etrailer.com/p-T101-104.html

That said, there is one downfall with the Holdup, the pull pin tilting mechanism. Aside from being hard to reach, the pull pin only secures one side of the mounting bar. I'm going to see if I can modify the pull pin so that it completely locks both sides of mounting bar, like previous versions of the Holdup. Which will make the rack even more rigid and stable while on the road.
    Last edited by D1PHAM; 02-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0