Thule 594XT Sidearm Bike Rack Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Thule 594XT Sidearm Bike Rack Question

I am now the owner of a Lefty, so I was thinking about ordering this rack tray for my car.
    I have a question regarding the arm on the rack:
    The pictures on the website all show it mounted and swinging up from the passenger side of the car, making it easier to grab everything. I cannot find anything stating whether or not it can go on the driver's side without causing a problem unless the rack is mounted facing backwards. We may have 2 lefty's soon, so I thought I would ask this question.
    I also just saw the Yakima 2103 FrontLoader Bike Rack and think this one works either way.
    Any thoughts on either would be very helpful.
    Thanks
    Last edited by A-Ray; 09-22-2010 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    The side arm can be moved to the other side of the tray, so that it can be used on the driver's side of the vehicle while still having the arm part at the front and oriented towards the outside of the car. The instructions tell you how to take it apart to make the change, it's not too difficult.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Awesome, thanks. I will be ordering it tonight!

code: mtbr2011
    it can be setup for a driver's side install. you have to take apart the hook arm and reinstall the internals as well as flip the hook to the other side.
    we do it no charge if you mention it at checkout.

http://www.cracksandracks.com/thule-...ack-p-665.html

mtbr member
    You can install it backwards if you'd like too. I switched mine around because I didn't like the bike handing over my windshield. Just an aesthetic annoyance.

This is the one I swapped the arm around on.

Two Tired
    I'll chime in and agree that it is easy to set up on either side. The locking cover for the mounting bolt handles is awkward either way. You will want to flip the rear wheel anchor strap around too.

I always had the bike mounted on the left side. There was always plenty of room to put it on the rack or take it off (you're out in the street) and it was much less likely to hit low bushes or branches.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Jury is still out on the Thule Sidearm Rack or the Yakima Frontloader. I have found both with great prices and reviews, just not sure which way to go yet. I must also buy it on Ebay, as so far that is the only place I can use Paypal. I have some money in that account so I need to use that instead of putting it on a card...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray
    Jury is still out on the Thule Sidearm Rack or the Yakima Frontloader. I have found both with great prices and reviews, just not sure which way to go yet. I must also buy it on Ebay, as so far that is the only place I can use Paypal. I have some money in that account so I need to use that instead of putting it on a card...
    Consider the Yakima's finest roof top bike mount, the HighRoller.

A more aerodynamic, quieter, simple, stable, and secure bike mount system.

Additionally, the locking front wheel hoops/arms are located no where near the bike's front forks or non-disc brake systems.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/top/highroller

Yakima HighRoller:

Yakima FrontLoader

Thule 594XT Sidearm:

Thule 594XT Sidearm:

Members who have read this thread: 0